Management/Hog help *pic heavy*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Txfirerescue View Post
    Well I'm gonna shoot this hog with my bow hell or high water. I have never seen it, just seen his signs and everyone else has seen.

I've put out numerous attractants but haven't had any luck. The problem with traps is I'm not there but 2 to 3 days out of the month. I'm trying to get them to the feeder and regularly so I can get them when I'm there. Not sure if that's feasible or not.
    If u want to shoot him with bow, use tripod and set up in area where u have seen the pigs. Use tree line for cover. Use a post hole digger and make hole 15-20 yards up wind from tripod. Hole should be 3-4 feet deep. Soak corn in diesel fuel, or beer til sour. Pour down hole. usally keeps pigs in area 3-4 days while they work on area. Good luck

Comment

Hey we would even be will to help out on your farm for payment lol. Ima **** good cook also i make a hell of great pot of etufee jumblia

Comment

Lol well i beat that horse didnt i lol never go tan answer of offering help lol.

Comment

Originally posted by huntingaddict View Post
          Lol well i beat that horse didnt i lol never go tan answer of offering help lol.
          Dadgum, you sure heck did and now that horse isn't answering back cuz you just beaten him to death! You must be desperate to find some place to hunt hogs?

To the op, hogs r very smart, creature of habits and nocturnals at most of the time.

You gotta outsmart em! Like Native Texan say, the best way is t.c. To give you an intel on its activities and patterns.

You can't just go and set up everything, thinking that youve got it made.

Hogs will pattern you quick. So, try to pattern em, be patient, find sweet spot, I can almost guarantee you itll be down by the creek or near it.

When you have em down like u know back of your hand. Its time to go for the kill.

It took almost three months before they start frequent the feeder I set up for first time near the creek bottoms.

Research and development on your own on what works and what doesn't for your hogs in the area and youll reap what you sow!

Comment

If you have that much rooting...then you have lots of hogs...more than a dozen. I have 40-50 hogs or more under my feeders at one time and don't have the rooting that u do.

Hogs are never gonna be caught during daylight hours in the wide open pastures. Its either gonna be ambush them at night or make it thicker for them. Just like deer they prefer thicker cover during daylight.

Comment

We have a bright moon right now an realitively clear night. Unless you dead set on killing them with a bow, You could get out there an sneak right up on them where they are rooting in the moonlight.

Comment

Help a newby

Well yes im desperate didnt u see my screen name hunting addict lol. Realy im lookinghg for a mentor or a hunting budy . I dont know anyone or have ever bow hunted . My son sorta wants to try it and the wife is to busy with school and work . Any sugestions guys

Comment

Originally posted by huntingaddict View Post
                  Well yes im desperate didnt u see my screen name hunting addict lol. Realy im lookinghg for a mentor or a hunting budy . I dont know anyone or have ever bow hunted . My son sorta wants to try it and the wife is to busy with school and work . Any sugestions guys
                  :thumbup:

If you were close by, Id take you out on our ranch.

Good luck and maybe one of good guys from gs may take you up for hog hunting.

Comment

Well hell thank u for the invite . I think its like 3 or 4 hr drive to caldwell county.

Comment

Heck if u know txfireresue talk to him for me lol i live like 1 1/2 hrs from his ranch .

Comment

Well im outa here yall take care

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys....

and sorry not getting back soon enough. As for the help, I dont mind, only thing is, as you see I have a ranch. Im very selective on who I bring and what I do on the property. With being said I have 3 other hunters helping me out as of right now (in laws). They pay for the up keep on the property and we hunt together. It can get quite hectic and clutter very easily.

This is my Grandfathers land (which is being handed down to me) and he, well let just say, is picky.

I really do thank yall for the replies and would like to continue hearing them. I am heading out there in 2wks to check cameras, restock feeders and possibly move them.

Hopefully i wil have pics to post

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                            If you have that much rooting...then you have lots of hogs...more than a dozen. I have 40-50 hogs or more under my feeders at one time and don't have the rooting that u do.

Hogs are never gonna be caught during daylight hours in the wide open pastures. Its either gonna be ambush them at night or make it thicker for them. Just like deer they prefer thicker cover during daylight.
                            funny you say that, when seen by my family they are crossing the large fields in the day. the 3 that have been shot so far were all between 8am and 11am

but since, have not...I have come to the conclusion they are coming out between midnight and 5am

Comment

This got me thinking, this is a zoomed in spot I did not point out on the early pics. This is where they have completely rooted up the property. Once again, everything in brown is rooting and green is the game trails...these arent the most recent rooting areas. They frequent the creek areas.

Should I stick to the creek areas?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Txfirerescue View Post
                                This got me thinking, this is a zoomed in spot I did not point out on the early pics. This is where they have completely rooted up the property. Once again, everything in brown is rooting and green is the game trails...these arent the most recent rooting areas. They frequent the creek areas.

Should I stick to the creek areas?
                                Stick to the creek area for consistiency but if you want to do a spot n stalk, do it under full moon night out in the open pasture when they are rooting.

They feel more comfortable in the cover near creek because thats their exit route. They are skittish out in the open.

You said your family saw them between 8-11 A.M. and they made the shot at em? If so, they just patterned yall, and went nocturnal!

Always remember this, they are very crafty and smart animal! All you gotta do is to outsmart and study em hard and know their feeding time which I can almost guarantee you, 9 P.M.-6 A.M. My hogs are like that, only few times, Ive seen them out in evenings is a young hogs who may have lost its mother or father that roams without much of education they get from its parents or never pressured during that hours and they slip up and make the mistakes until I shoot im up before they learn from it.

Be prepared to track em if you are using bow. Bring your hogkiller sidearm, not puny 9mm with hollow point if you are tracking at night. You need a knockdown power sidearm. In between eyes, take no chances.

Hog hunting is fun but also dangerous. Know what ya doing and bring all you need with you to be prepared.

I am rooting for your success! Post up LDP! :thumbup:

Good luck, brother!

Another not so secret sauce, use jello mix with sugar, watermelon or strawberry flavor and bud light mixed in 5 gal bucket w corn! Spread em out near creek where the wallows are. They may come quick or they may study it a while before eating it. Put t.c. Over it as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X