Drawn Fort Boggy SP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drawn Fort Boggy SP

I drew Fort Boggy SP. I have no idea of the quality of the hunt. Anyone have any recommended areas with good access?

They recommend bringing a blind, but are treestands allowed or preferred?

ATVs are allowed, but is it huntable but foot? By bicycle?

Thx for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We didnt need an atv, drove into the hunt area and used a game cart.
    Lots of acorns year we hunted and we were gun hunting so we just stuck to the pipeline crossings and had success.
    It's very thick in most areas, I'd say you will see deer but with a bow it won't be a gimme.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BarW View Post
      We didnt need an atv, drove into the hunt area and used a game cart.
      Lots of acorns year we hunted and we were gun hunting so we just stuck to the pipeline crossings and had success.
      It's very thick in most areas, I'd say you will see deer but with a bow it won't be a gimme.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have a game cart and my take my mountain bike. That’s a good point about the pipeline. I noticed it on google earth. I should be able to find game trails up and down the pipeline pretty easily, if not other places as well. I may go scout in a few weeks. I drew the first week of October so the acorns may not be dropping yet. They allow baiting so I may carry a few pvc gravity’s feeders when I finally hunt it.

Thx!

@StraightWayOutdoors
      Straight Way Outdoors, Fulcrum Archery, Elite Archery, Upwind Odor Elimination, Wicked Twisted Bowstrings

Comment

I know the drawing is random, but I’d hope for the unit furthest south. There’s a small drainage that runs through an oak flat that meets up to a pine thicket, I had a good buck slip by me through there. Bucks up there seem to be a skiddish, hunt the thick stuff if you’re looking for a buck. If they still let you bait corn won’t hurt at all. Plenty of hogs out there as well. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
          I know the drawing is random, but I’d hope for the unit furthest south. There’s a small drainage that runs through an oak flat that meets up to a pine thicket, I had a good buck slip by me through there. Bucks up there seem to be a skiddish, hunt the thick stuff if you’re looking for a buck. If they still let you bait corn won’t hurt at all. Plenty of hogs out there as well. Good luck

Thanks, fingers crossed. I forgot that the compartments were assigned. That limits the benefit of scouting.

@StraightWayOutdoors
          Straight Way Outdoors, Fulcrum Archery, Elite Archery, Upwind Odor Elimination, Wicked Twisted Bowstrings

Comment

Originally posted by Planopurist View Post
            I have a game cart and my take my mountain bike. That’s a good point about the pipeline. I noticed it on google earth. I should be able to find game trails up and down the pipeline pretty easily, if not other places as well. I may go scout in a few weeks. I drew the first week of October so the acorns may not be dropping yet. They allow baiting so I may carry a few pvc gravity’s feeders when I finally hunt it.

Thx!

@StraightWayOutdoors
            Hunted there 3 or 4 times. Acorns will be on the ground. Find the most of deer sign under these trees and you will find the deer. You will do good with a climber or a lock on stand. Lots of deer there or at least where I hunted. I either flung arrows or could have on every trip. Good luck

Comment

Hunted there a couple years ago, could of shot a spike, and a doe. But waited for something bigger. Do not throw corn unless they have been feeding it! I was hunting a big acorn patch, I corned it, and as soon as the deer crossed it, they where gone! I got blown so many times it was ridiculous! They smelled the corn! Lots of deer, i hunter a set up Tripod and had the best luck. I did bring my pop up, but never used it. They do allow stands, so I took my climber And atv.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                Hunted there 3 or 4 times. Acorns will be on the ground. Find the most of deer sign under these trees and you will find the deer. You will do good with a climber or a lock on stand. Lots of deer there or at least where I hunted. I either flung arrows or could have on every trip. Good luck

Thanks! I’m hauling my lock-on and a blind. I was told that the park rangers and/or game warden pretty much put you on the deer in each compartment. It should be in their interest for you to harvest, right! We’ll see.

@StraightWayOutdoors

Comment

Originally posted by saltwater View Post
                  Hunted there a couple years ago, could of shot a spike, and a doe. But waited for something bigger. Do not throw corn unless they have been feeding it! I was hunting a big acorn patch, I corned it, and as soon as the deer crossed it, they where gone! I got blown so many times it was ridiculous! They smelled the corn! Lots of deer, i hunter a set up Tripod and had the best luck. I did bring my pop up, but never used it. They do allow stands, so I took my climber And atv.

Interesting. I’ve seen deer (on trail camera) look curiously at corn for the first time, but I’ve never thrown it out and hunted for the first time right then. If I find good sign and acorns falling, I’ll be good with that until things change. I may throw corn on the way out 1-2 evenings into the hunt If I haven’t seen what I need to. There’s a 2-deer limit, 13” buck and doe/spike so I’m probably taking the first legal opportunity, especially if they aren’t known for big deer.

@StraightWayOutdoors

Comment

I need to find out if they will “let hogs lay” or if someone else would want them. I don’t fool with them.

@StraightWayOutdoors

Comment

Any more help?

@StraightWayOutdoors

Comment

What dates did you draw?

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
                          What dates did you draw?

10/5 - 10/9

@StraightWayOutdoors

Comment

That’s pretty early. I wouldn’t pass up a doe lol. Hunt the hottest sign. A climber on your back and really cover as much of the unit as possible until you see some hard trails

Comment

I had a tripod in my unit that was already set up, it was in some oaks and a spike wondered in to eat some acorns, I had hand thrown some corn, and you would of thought it was a snake on the ground because when he got to it, he bolted. I’m not sure about let them lay, they have a smoker they keep going at the ranch house, I bet they would eat it if you shot one and didn’t want. They do have some good deer, they have sheds and old buck skulls there you will see. So judge for yourself.

Comment

Working...
                              X