Wyoming bison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wyoming bison

March is application month for wild bison in Wyoming.
    These are free ranging bison that migrate, some taken before migration, out of Yellowstone and Grand Teton parks.
    Some are resident bison on the NF outside the Parks as well.

Expensive for NR but again they are free range and you get everything , it can be a grueling hunt not just a shoot.

I would caution on applying for cow bison. Last few years they migrated later and fewer have been taken.
    Years past they were not a given but very high success in Jan. when snow got deeper and they moved to the National Elk Refuge where all the late season bison hunts happen.

We have taken 3 cow bison on Wyoming licenses, 2 from the NER and my 1st from just off the Elk Refuge quite a few years ago.

Here are the NR odds from last year.

Random draw: Any bison(bull) 25 licenses 413 applicants $4,402+$15
    cow bison 5 licenses 33 applicants $2,752+$15

All can be done DIY with help from "Tag and Drag" outfitters on retrieval and gutting.
    All of our cows were DIY and we did our own processing too, Tag and Drag services were used on last 2 cows. We stayed in Jackson in a cabin at a hotel and cooked our meals.

I harvested a freerange bison in the Henry Mts
    Attached Files

Comment

Correct me if I’m wrong as I’m not up to speed on it, but I thought WY was trying to more or less get rid of any chance of NR hunters hunting their big 5?

Comment

Nice !
        The meat is awesome.

Utah has better prices but odds may be longer, not sure on that.
        Your hunt was much different too I bet, more of a mountain hunt along the lines of elk hunting maybe?
        Ours were spot and stalk open ground on the refuge, deep snow though.

Comment

They have passed 90/10 for the Big 5, starting next year I believe, also OIL starting in 2023 for both R and NR.
          This has been discussed on other threads but not sure of it is common knowledge it passed.

This would be the year for applying in Wyoming .

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
            They have passed 90/10 for the Big 5, starting next year I believe, also OIL starting in 2023 for both R and NR.
            This has been discussed on other threads but not sure of it is common knowledge it passed.

This would be the year for applying in Wyoming .
            So is that 90/10 per unit/region or across the board?

Comment

Not BAD ODDS in my opinion!!!

Thanks for posting up. What months does it span? October - January? I put in every year for South Dakota free range but zero luck after about 8 years so far......plus they dont give points. My estate bison hunt in South Dakota was pretty good but I truly want to get a free range bull also.
              Last edited by Landrover; 03-10-2022, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cmeadors View Post
                I harvested a freerange bison in the Henry Mts
                Yessir......pink mountains right? Quite a few SCI guys have gotten theirs outta those mountains.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                  Thanks for posting up. What months does it span? October - January? I put in every year for South Dakota free range but zero luck after about 8 years so far......plus they dont give points. My estate bison hunt in South Dakota was pretty good but I truly want to get a free range bull also.
                  Aug.15- mid Jan. or so.
                  NER hunting goes until they start feeding elk on the refuge. The NF closes around the refuge I think Jan.1 or so.

I wouldn't overlook Utah .

Good question on the 90/10, I may be wrong but I think it is across the board.

Comment

Here's our cows.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                      Aug.15- mid Jan. or so.
                      NER hunting goes until they start feeding elk on the refuge. The NF closes around the refuge I think Jan.1 or so.

I wouldn't overlook Utah .

Good question on the 90/10, I may be wrong but I think it is across the board.
                      Niiiiiice! Multiple trips are possible then. I have my brown bear in Alaska in September I think......so things get spread out pretty good.

Comment

When do they draw the tag? $4500 hit to the credit card surely scares a bunch of folks off. How long until they refund for unsuccessful applicants?

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
                          When do they draw the tag? $4500 hit to the credit card surely scares a bunch of folks off. How long until they refund for unsuccessful applicants?
                          Closing date for applications is March 31.
                          You can modify or withdraw through April 15th.
                          Draw results will be available on May 5th so that tells me they will probably do the draw a few days before the 5th.
                          If you are unsuccessful, from my experience you will get your money credited back about a week to ten days after the dry results come out.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                          X