Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Disappearing skills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disappearing skills

This is not a rant but more of an observation. As technology advances so does our reliance upon it. We now have gps to tell us where we are ,range finders to tell us the distance to an object and even have rifle scopes that with the push of a button will do the thinking for you. I have no issue with using any item that will make you better but in doing so I think we have lost some basic skills along the way. There was a thread the other day about starting a fire for an example. It makes me wonder how many people are in the same boat. How many can actually read a map? Bonus points if you can fold it back like its supposed to be. Skills that we once took for granted is being lost. There are threads about sharpening knifes,sighting in weapons , processing your own deer, the list can go on and on. If we can't pass along the skills that we may have once had to our kids then they will be even more dependent on technology.
    It is scary to think what will happen in the event of mass disruption of power failure or a satellite falling out of the sky. If any of us have any knowledge and skills to pass along to the next generation please do so now before those skills and knowledge is lost for good.

Yes

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

I think shooting off hand is another one. Too many people get used to shooting off a bench or some rest, and they forgot how to shoot off hand.. it takes practice.

Comment

This has been happening for at least the last 20 years. The technology in our cell phones is more advanced that the building full of computers they used to put a man on the moon. It’s not just the younger generation though. There’s a whole bunch of guys in their 40’s and 50’s that are limited in skill set as well. Either they forgot or were never taught.

Comment

I'm just glad I don't have to ride a horse to and from work everyday. That's a skill I don't need anymore.

Also, running a reel of tape through a projector or rewinding a cassette tape when it blew up... lost those skills too..
          Last edited by Smart; 02-07-2022, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Initially, after reading this title, I though this was going to be some kind of magic trick or cloak blanket of invisibility thread...

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
              I'm just glad I don't have to ride a horse to and from work everyday. That's a skill I don't need anymore.

Also, running a reel of tape through a projector or rewinding a cassette tape when it blew up... lost those skills too..
              My diesel truck is cheaper per mile than my horse is.

Comment

How many can navigate CELESTIALLY offshore for months on end - with zero electronics?

And to really see how good you are - use GPS to cross reference your DEAD RECKONING SKILLS after a month or so of zero electronics.

Lived thru the Pre & Post GPS phase of Maritime Navigation - during my past life of service offshore.

The key - those with the core skills are shrinking - and the majority with those old skills - were born before 1970 - because it was then - no one had anything and what was learned, got hammered with technologies as they came online - and we had our old ways mixed with some very primitive systems - analog to digital conversions - even with a standard CLOCK. Who winds a clock system anymore to keep time? Time is key with navigation - without solid and consistent TIME - to really know how to navigate and know where you are - time speed and bearing.

A solid time mechanism - is the foundation. Batteries and electrical power outlets - don't cut it .
                Last edited by AtTheWall; 02-07-2022, 08:51 AM.

Comment

I’m too dumb to be able to use most of todays technology so what limited skills I do have are pretty well preserved. I still remember when the fax machine came out. Just couldn’t wrap my head around how that actually worked.
                  Last edited by Gumbo Man; 02-07-2022, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Common sense is the biggest lost skill.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                      I’m too dumb to be able to use most of todays technology so what limited skills I do have are pretty well preserved. I still remember when the fax machine came out. Just couldn’t wrap my head around how that actually worked.
                      Be sure to pass them along. Don’t let them die with you

Comment

I just wrote an article on this subject in the latest edition of THE JOURNAL OF THE TEXAS TROPHY HUNTER. I see technology eroding hunting skills as well.
                        Adios,
                        Gary

Comment

Don’t get me started on lost skills .
                          1. Is the ability to listen
                          I took a truck in to get a ground wire replacement, the service manager called back a says “ bad cpu “ I said just replace the ground, “ but my scanner says bad cpu “
                          Me “ do you speak English or code ? Replace the ground wire “

And yes I can read & fold maps, shoot a azimuth ( both visual and magnetic)

Comment

The skill of a grown *** man or woman to say "Thank you" is eroding.... and the same with their kids.

Comment

Originally posted by doright View Post
                              Be sure to pass them along. Don’t let them die with you
                              Did my Dr. call you by mistake? Come on man don’t hold out on me !!

Comment

Working...
                              X