snake season is coming... be ready

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

snake season is coming... be ready

my personal answer to walking around during summer ...

the taurus Judge public defender poly is the lightest pistol Taurus makes and works well ...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsCWM5ylNjg&ab_channel=standbackitsgonnabl o"]Taurus Judge Public Defender Poly - YouTube[/ame]

Originally posted by imyomama View Post
    my personal answer to walking around during summer ...

the taurus Judge public defender poly is the lightest pistol Taurus makes and works well ...

Taurus Judge Public Defender Poly - YouTube
    I like mine a lot.

Comment

Snub nose .38/.357 with CCI snake shot rounds is a decent choice if you don’t own the Taurus Judge.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfootwolff View Post
        Snub nose .38/.357 with CCI snake shot rounds is a decent choice if you don’t own the Taurus Judge.
        Just watch your toes if you have big feet when you shoot

Comment

i have a scandium 357 smith (360pd) and i've tested shot capsules ... it doesn't even compare to the judge with 410's ... that's why i bought the judge .

tried the 22 lr shot shells before then and those are almost worthless unless you get within "scary" distance.

Comment

Looking forward to it.

Comment

Ian have shot a number of rattle bugs with my Taurus Judge Ultralight. Does a quick number on them with 8 shot.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

5’ stick of 1” PVC

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
                  Just watch your toes if you have big feet when you shoot
                  I see what you did there. I definitely agree the Taurus Judge is the better choice, but if someone doesn't have one, or can't afford one, the .38 with rat shot definitely beats the .22 rat shot loads. I have only had to dispatch one venomous snake with the .38 rat shot loads. Was walking along our pond at the lease and stepped directly over a huge tightly coiled copperhead. I was literally straddling the snake, unholstered the .38 snubnose and shot him in the head. It tore up his head pretty good and part of his body. He twisted around a bit, but he was no threat after that. Shot was probably 2 feet or less. Definitely too close for comfort. Shot a few cottonmouths and copperheads with a .22 pistol and standard 40 grain solids, but at a greater distance, like 6 to 12 feet. Usually took 2 or 3 rounds to ensure they were done. I've never seen a live rattlesnake while at my lease in Mason, but I know they are out there. For you guys in the know, what is the danger zone for a rattler, meaning what is the distance from where the snake is coiled to how far can he reach out and make an effective strike? This thread has definitely got me thinking about my sidearm choice, especially considering I recently started hunting out in Mason.

Comment

Originally posted by jdavidson View Post
                    5’ stick of 1” PVC
                    yup, got a friend of mine who feels exactly the same way... he even likes to pick them up and play with them .

then again he also has first hand experience with defibrillators too as they had to revive him 3 times after being bit by a tiny rattler on the thumb.
                    flatlining is a biatch even for a real man.

I wonder how many Taurus judge he could have bought for the same amount he spent on his hospital bills ....

Comment

I see what you did there. I definitely agree the Taurus Judge is the better choice, but if someone doesn't have one, or can't afford one, the .38 with rat shot definitely beats the .22 rat shot loads. I have only had to dispatch one venomous snake with the .38 rat shot loads. Was walking along our pond at the lease and stepped directly over a huge tightly coiled copperhead. I was literally straddling the snake, unholstered the .38 snubnose and shot him in the head. It tore up his head pretty good and part of his body. He twisted around a bit, but he was no threat after that. Shot was probably 2 feet or less. Definitely too close for comfort. Shot a few cottonmouths and copperheads with a .22 pistol and standard 40 grain solids, but at a greater distance, like 6 to 12 feet. Usually took 2 or 3 rounds to ensure they were done. I've never seen a live rattlesnake while at my lease in Mason, but I know they are out there. For you guys in the know, what is the danger zone for a rattler, meaning what is the distance from where the snake is coiled to how far can he reach out and make an effective strike? This thread has definitely got me thinking about my sidearm choice, especially considering I recently started hunting out in Mason.
                      Two thirds of their body length or somewhere around there.

My buddy had a Taurus Judge for a while. I wasn't ever too impressed with it. I don't mind getting close enough to catch rattlesnakes so getting close enough to kill one with that wasn't a big deal. If I was gonna shoot one I'd rather have a single bullet or slug. Those shot shells out of a pistol leave little holes in them. I'd rather shoot their head clear off.

I shot one once with 7 1/2 shot out of my buddies judge from well within striking range. Got a lot more hits but it didn't blow its head off. Kind of defeats the purpose of killing a snake for safety. It'd be a lot safer to just walk the other way.
                      Last edited by okrattler; 04-12-2022, 11:08 AM.

Comment

I’d feel sorry for my ears shooting one with a 410 out of a pistol.

I’m sure there are more qualified individuals like ^^^ but I’ve yet to have one slither away that didn’t die immediately after being shot with a 22 and rat shot. I tried with just a slug, but it’s not always a clean shot at the head when they are in brush.

I killed around 20 snakes last year on my place alone, to include cotton mouths, copperheads, and rattlesnakes.

Comment

I own a S&W 340 PD so would probably hit upper thigh in that scenario. You actually got me to thinking about picking some up as I also have a .357 in a Ruger Speed 6 with plenty of barrel. My S&W is sub 1.8 inches haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by imyomama View Post
                            i have a scandium 357 smith (360pd) and i've tested shot capsules ... it doesn't even compare to the judge with 410's ... that's why i bought the judge .

tried the 22 lr shot shells before then and those are almost worthless unless you get within "scary" distance.

You know whats up. I have the hamerless version. I put a sticky target on a metal plate at 10 yds and fired a .357 mag heavy grain round at it and the 8 in sticker disappeared lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

i was kinda partial to my charter arms .44 bulldog with rat shot,,,, highly effective,, never took more than 1 shot out to about 20 feet,,,,,
                              but i have also effectively used a 45 acp with rat shot , and a 9mm,,,,
                              never liked the size of the judge, thats why i had the bulldog!

Comment

Working...
                              X