Calcium score test.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calcium score test.

Why isn't it standard procedure for most men to get a simple calcium score test done once every few years? Even without insurance, last I saw, this test cost +/-$200

Seems like it would save many from heart attacks. Also it may help one know if taking expensive or cholesterol meds with side affects is the right choice.

I'd gladly pay $200 every other year (or whatever) to know I didn't have calcium build up.

My cardiologist doesn't really believe in them after my wife had a heart attack with practically a zero calcium score and she ended up with a double bypass at 47. She and I have the same Dr. Said Dr. had another patient with an off the charts calcium score so to the cath lab they go and he's clean.

Comment

Methodist Hospital offers Heart Scan Plus for $205

Comment

I don't know but was told most insurance won't cover it.

Comment

Mine did. had that test last month and I have a nuclear stress test next week and then the visit with my cardiologist. chest pains are no fun. But, as I told my wife, I'm still 10' tall and bullet proof until I'm not

Comment

I did mine about 1&1/2 years ago for $75 in Tyler
            I scored a 4 which is low but my Dr still wanted me on low dose Lipitor
            I guess considering my cholesterol runs on the marginal side of high & runs on my mothers side despite diet, exercise & weight control

Comment

Had one last week for $75 in Tyler

Score was 0 but based on what Txhunter3000 posted above it might just be a $75 charge for nothing meaningful

Comment

Well, after all the post about heart issues... I looked at my calciumj score...it was 50. that does not sound good. Will see the dr. this month after my nuclear stress test.

Comment

I did do a nuclear stress test around 10 years ago and need to do another one.

Comment

Originally posted by Txhunter3000 View Post
                    My cardiologist doesn't really believe in them after my wife had a heart attack with practically a zero calcium score and she ended up with a double bypass at 47. She and I have the same Dr. Said Dr. had another patient with an off the charts calcium score so to the cath lab they go and he's clean.
                    Are you saying the calcium score was zero but she was really clogged?
                    If so, how long after the calcium score was her heart attack?

Comment

The medical establishment standard protocol is to test blood lipids and write prescriptions for statins to as many people as possible. Looking at CAC scores or anything else is not part of the standard program. Just take the statin (they say).

Research statins and cholesterol. It's pretty much the same as the COVID vax deal. Way more about $$$$$ than actual results. There is tons of info that shows heart attacks aren't caused by cholesterol, statins cause more adverse side effects than positive help, people with higher LDL live longer and are healthier, etc......

Last edited by Shane; 03-01-2022, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                        The medical establishment standard protocol is to test blood lipids and write prescriptions for statins to as many people as possible. Looking at CAC scores or anything else is not part of the standard program. Just take the statin (they say).

Research statins and cholesterol. It's pretty much the same as the COVID vax deal. Way more about $$$$$ than actual results. There is tons of info that shows heart attacks aren't caused by cholesterol, statins cause more adverse side effects than positive help, people with higher LDL live longer and are healthier, etc......

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...WZKmGOmY58teaz
                        I think you and I are the only one preaching this. Internal body inflammation from all the toxins in the foods most people consume are more responsible for plaque build up than cholesterol. Ive had high cholesterol my entire adult life. I had tests run about 3-4 years ago and had zero plaque build up. Everyone I know that started taking statins also ended up on other medications due to side effects such as high blood pressure medicine.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...WZKmGOmY58teaz
                          Trust me I know statins cause adverse side effects. That's how I know about the calcium scoring.

I wasn't even thinking about comparing it to how covid was handled but you're right.

Comment

Well, I had an EKG and it shows that I have had a heart attack. I told the doctor that If I had one, I didn't know it. They ran all kinds of tests on me. My BP was at the upper limit of normal. My cholesterol was about the same, upper limit of normal. Stress test came back okay. Calcium test , almost zero. All he could say was that I was over weight and that I must have a healthy diet.
                            I told him that I did enjoy my chicken fired steak and mashed potatoes every week or so. He just shook his head.
                            Still don't know what caused my heart attack and I haven't changed a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                              Are you saying the calcium score was zero but she was really clogged?
                              If so, how long after the calcium score was her heart attack?
                              About 3 months and yes she was clogged. LAD and Circumflex.

Comment

Working...
                              X