Seeking prescribed burn advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeking prescribed burn advice

Need to do a prescribed burn on about 20-30 acres in Houston County. I've contacted the Texas Dept of Agriculture, the Houston County Agricultural Extension, the Houston County Fire Dept, and the Texas A&M Forest Service's Forester in Houston County and nobody seems to know who to contact or they dont answer the phone.

Does anyone know how to hire someone to do a prescribed burn on a piece of property?

Im not help as we do our own.

I cant believe that Texas AM forest service couldnt help?

Comment

Call Texas forest association in lufkin. They will provide a list of prescribe burners in the area or go to texas a&m forest service web page and see list of vendors. I have a list of who I would use. Pm me if you need some direction

Comment

They are no help in private land PB.

I'm leaning to buying a old used fire tanker and installing permanent fire breaks. I think those two things can mitigate alot of the danger.

Otherwise, I'm starting to beleive a heavy flail mower basically accomplishes the same thing as fire.

Comment

Contact your local Texas Parks & Wildlife biologist

Comment

Some Texas landowners may be eligible to be reimbursed for their cost of prescribed burning. Texas A&M Forest Service is now accepting grant applications from private property owners who use strategically-planned prescribed fires to help reduce wildfire risk and restore natural ecosystems.

Texas A&M Forest Service Contacts:

William “Andy” McCrady, Fuels Coordinator, 936-689-9393, wmccrady@tfs.tamu.edu

Hughes Simpson, Program Leader, 979-458-6658, hsimpson@tfs.tamu.edu

For Questions, Call
            Patrick Dudley, Coordinator for Agriculture Commodity Boards
            and Producer Relations
            (512) 787-9966
            Patrick.Dudley@TexasAgriculture.gov
            Prescribed.Burn@TexasAgriculture.gov

Texas Forestry Association offer programs for almost every Texan interested in conservation, business, history, education, wildlife and more.

Comment

Tagged.

I'd like to see about our place also

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I know a guy who does a lot of work on private ranches. He has his license for herbicides as well as a license for prescribed burns. He lives in Lufkin. If you want his info, pm me.

Comment

Originally posted by camoclad View Post
                  They are no help in private land PB.

I'm leaning to buying a old used fire tanker and installing permanent fire breaks. I think those two things can mitigate alot of the danger.

Otherwise, I'm starting to beleive a heavy flail mower basically accomplishes the same thing as fire.

You will be surprised what fire can do beneficially.

Comment

I'm in the same boat. We had someone that came highly recommended and is very experienced but we would have to pay $6k to burn 1/3rd of our property which is only 135 acres. I'm thinking about doing some smaller burns (i.e. back fire) myself with a group of guys this February if the weather allows it and watch it closely to learn. I'm hoping we can get a lot of our fields burned which would equate to around 50 acres burned. Still trying to find the best option.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                      You will be surprised what fire can do beneficially.
                      I never understood why more aren't done in East Tx like they do in La. and Ms.

Certainly helps.

Comment

I wish we could burn a bunch of our lease.

Comment

Brent Kartye can fix you up - info below. Very good guy to work with.

Certified and insured prescribed burn managers help to manage, maintain and restore valuable ecosystems in Texas. Prescribed burning is a management tool widely used by foresters, parks departments, range and wildlife managers, ranchers and other landowners to manage excessive natural fuels under very specific and safe conditions.

Comment

The only advice I got was from the GW. "Don't let it get out of control". LOL

Comment

I was told that the reason that there's not much control burning, not a lot of people that do it and why its so high is because of the price of insurance. Not sure if it's the reason but I could definitely see that as a contributing factor

Comment

Working...
                              X