No announcement yet.

Somerville 21-22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody know if the part of #711 with the two forks of the Yegua along CR124 is under water after all the rain this past week? I know that's some low ground back in there. I'm also curious about the Nail's Creek section although I usually don't hunt that part. It would be nice to know before driving 2 and a half hours to get there if it's all flooded or not. Thanks in advance - appreciate any insight you might have : )

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho TradBow View Post
      Anybody know if the part of #711 with the two forks of the Yegua along CR124 is under water after all the rain this past week? I know that's some low ground back in there. I'm also curious about the Nail's Creek section although I usually don't hunt that part. It would be nice to know before driving 2 and a half hours to get there if it's all flooded or not. Thanks in advance - appreciate any insight you might have : )

Drivetexas.org is a pretty good resource that is normally fairly accurate and does not show any rd closures out that way. That being said, where youre talking is ‘in the middld of nowhere’ and might not be kept up quite as well. But all things considered, I think the lake would have to be high (which im pretty sure its not) for yegua to come out of its banks. Good luck hunting if you decide to make the trip and maybe somebody out there will report back for you and give you real time info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

It shouldn’t be under water. We didn’t get that much rain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks guys, much appeciated! I will make the trip out. It's been 7 years since I hunted there. Hope it's the way I remember it as it used to be a nice little piece of public land ...

Comment

I wasnt in that area yesterday, but I can tell you west of Brenham water drained off and the ground dried up pretty well yesterday. So I would say go hunt, and again good luck to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Went out Saturday and saw lots of hunters, a game warden (nice guy, very helpful), half a dozen hogs (running through brush - no ethical shot presented) a group of three deer (2 does and a forkhorn) in the early AM on a bank on the far side of The Yegua (didn't try as I wasnt going to try crossing to track one)...then had a legal spike come within 35 yards of my sit in the afternoon in another compartment out of range for my abilities with my recurve. Place had a lot of flooded out areas including the bridge on the oil road going in down by the Box 3 compartment. In addition to shotguns going off from what I assumed were duck/dove hunters in the AM there was a lot of indiscriminate high cap mag semi-auto pistol fire echoing through the area in the afternoon. Guess some idiots felt like breaking the law for fun. All in all a good day though. I felt very privileged to be out there in the woods and to see game

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho TradBow View Post
                Went out Saturday and saw lots of hunters, a game warden (nice guy, very helpful), half a dozen hogs (running through brush - no ethical shot presented) a group of three deer (2 does and a forkhorn) in the early AM on a bank on the far side of The Yegua (didn't try as I wasnt going to try crossing to track one)...then had a legal spike come within 35 yards of my sit in the afternoon in another compartment out of range for my abilities with my recurve. Place had a lot of flooded out areas including the bridge on the oil road going in down by the Box 3 compartment. In addition to shotguns going off from what I assumed were duck/dove hunters in the AM there was a lot of indiscriminate high cap mag semi-auto pistol fire echoing through the area in the afternoon. Guess some idiots felt like breaking the law for fun. All in all a good day though. I felt very privileged to be out there in the woods and to see game

Glad you got out there and enjoyed the place. It was really nice weather out the last two mornings except the wind gusts yesterday. We had a few forkhorns and pigs in the area. This morning we saw the same big boar that’s been coming in. He always sticks only his head and part of his neck out of the thick stuff, sniffs around then bolts out of there even when he’s been upwind.

I heard some shots yesterday off in the distance but this morning was definitely a pistol over and over again. Somebody’s got lots of money for ammo apparently. Lol

Comment

What public land is available in Somerville? Or is there any?

Comment

Originally posted by 7yearsproject View Post
                    What public land is available in Somerville? Or is there any?
                    Read the book online- archery only. If you have a public hunting permit, read your book

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Comment

Found a honey hole....pigs, does, and bucks. Trouble is I don't hunt Somerville enough. If one of you fellas get this big 8 let me know. I would love to see him.. Good luck to yallClick image for larger version

Name:	20211019_185436.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	24665709Click image for larger version

Name:	20211019_184621.jpg
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	24665710Click image for larger version

Name:	20211019_185417.jpg
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	24665711

Comment

PM me the gps coordinates and Ill let you see him next week.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Beargrasstx View Post
                          Found a honey hole....pigs, does, and bucks. Trouble is I don't hunt Somerville enough. If one of you fellas get this big 8 let me know. I would love to see him.. Good luck to yall[ATTACH]1066956[/ATTACH][ATTACH]1066957[/ATTACH][ATTACH]1066958[/ATTACH][ATTACH]1066959[/ATTACH]

Where is this?!

Comment

So far only night pics of good bucks or early morning. However, lots of does and hogs in daylight, so the bucks will be out in daylight soon.

Comment

I know some fellas have some monsters on here! I would love to see some pics.

Comment

Originally posted by Beargrasstx View Post
                                So far only night pics of good bucks or early morning. However, lots of does and hogs in daylight, so the bucks will be out in daylight soon.

I’m only getting mid day like 12-2.

Comment

Working...
                                X