New Deer Lease = New Blinds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Deer Lease = New Blinds

Jason86 and myself were lucky to land a new lease in Webb County recently with SaltwaterSlick, Bourland and some other great guys! We are on Cloud9 to be joining them in South Texas. It’s always been a dream of both of ours to have our own place in Webb County. Well, as the title says, new lease means new blinds....

We met up with our buddy FullSizeAggie who will be spending several weekends with us down South and got to work. We decided to focus strictly on rifle blinds for this build as we are pretty set on bow stands. We need some old school smoke pole stands for the wives, dads and who am I kidding... us!

We decided to go 5x7 on them, 6’6” in back with door to 6’ tall in front. Day two and we have finished the bases and framing out the stands. Very happy with how they are coming along. We ordered our deerview windows today and elevator brackets for the stand. Trying to stay on somewhat of a budget! This is really bringing back memories for me as I am trying to build them close to the stands I grew up hunting in.

We are going with the following to try and cut down on weight. We are also building each wall in sections for easier installation...
    2x6 base perimeter with
    2x3s every 12” against the grain for support
    2x3s on the upper frame for the structure and windows
    1/2 ply on floor
    3/8 ply on walls
    Front (x2) and back windows - 12x24 deerview
    Sides - 12x36 deerview

Here we are at so far. Day 2 frame done
    Last edited by James; 04-07-2020, 08:08 PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats on the new lease.

Comment

We’re glad to have y’all join us buddy! Gonna be a great year. Solid group of hunters indeed.

Comment

Nice!!

Comment

Looking Good & Good Luck on the new lease.

Comment

Im so jealous. I would love to be on that lease with that group of gentlemen. Looking forward to seeing the blinds complete and set up.

Comment

That's awesome James...look forward to seeing the adventures there!

Comment

I got on the lease as well. I wasn’t able to make it up Friday but was out there Sunday. I’ve got some blind building to do too.

Comment

Picked up 6 gallons of oops brown paint for $9 each at H.D. Guess that’s the color we are going with!

Comment

The excitement of a new place & new projects is so much fun! Good luck and keep us posted.

Comment

Great time to get it done

Comment

Congrats on the new lease. Hope it is full of game!

I am a short guy, but 6’6” seems a little overkill.
                          But maybe good for full size men.

On the paint I advise painting both sides before you put the plywood on
                          Black inside.

And paint the inside of all the woodframe. Paint is cheap.

I also advise screenEd soffit vents in the upper corners
                          It gets hot in south Texas blinds in the sun. Vent that heat out

Lastly, put good window ledges inside the blinds.
                          For binocs, sandbags and phones. Helps the younger or less experience shooters to have a real shooting platform

Good luck

Comment

Some good Reminders Big Pig, I’m 6’1” wanted a little slope for rain.
                            Looking forward to sharing camp Panhandle! Thanks everyone else, lots of memories to come!

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X