No announcement yet.

Tell me about my .270 wsm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love mine! I put a muzzle break on it and also had some trigger work done. It shoots great !

Comment

If anyone is interested I have a Winchester Coyote in 270 WSM I'd sale, Blued action with a heavy stainless barrel and beautiful wood stock.

Comment

[quote=Maddies Dad;14918698]
        Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
        If you are recoil sensitive (aka girlyman) then any WSM ain't for you.

I can neither confirm nor deny that I am, or am not, perhaps maybe, or maybe not, a 'girlyman'.

But, honestly, because I rarely rifle hunt, I was at the range thinking to myself, "That seems like quite the recoil....do I feel this way just because I don't shoot enough and I'm not used to it? Or does this rifle just have a heckuva kick?"

Felt recoil varies great due to stock design and rifle weight.

That a heck of a versatile round but the ammo is expensive and going to do nothing but get harder to find and more expensive IMO

Comment

I have a browning hells canyon in 270wsm I haven’t had to track a animal yet they have all been DRT.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
            It's a good caliber, probably the closest thing it compares to is the 270 Weatherby Mag. Definitely more than a 270 Win. Very flat shooting round, should make a good open plains gun, something where you are going to be taking 500+ yard shots. A buddy of mine has one, he loves it.

The short fat case design, is a modern thing, to improve the way the powder burns. In theory, it should burn the powder more consistently, than a long magnum caliber. Then you also get more barrel to burn the powder in, with the same length barrel, over a long case magnum. That's not going to result in huge differences, but it adds a little velocity to the overall velocity numbers.

Should be a great round for pronghorn, mule deer, whitetail, big horn sheep, ECT. Basically medium sized game at medium to long ranges. It will work on game as big as elk, but you should probably pick your shots wisely. With the velocities that thing pushes bullets, they could easily blow up, if you hit a larger animal in the wrong spot. With the right shots, it should be very deadly.

Riflebowpistol pretty much cover everything.

The 270wsm was actually my first hunting rifle I bought with my own money. It was a Winchester Model 70 Super Shadow. I sold it to get a Tikka T3 in the same caliber that I still have. My loves the Nosler Accubonds 140gr and the Ballistic Silver tips in 130gr.

You might want to buy a limbsaver recoil pad, that might help.

Comment

Ballistics are almost identical to a 7mm Mag., without the long cartridge.

Comment

Also you might want to try the Federal Premium Berger hybrid hunter 140gr ammo. Midway has them for $34.00 a box. There are other ammo choices that would be around $40.00 a box.

Comment

What about using it on a nilgai? Opinions, please.

Comment

I had a Ruger #1 in 270 wsm, I shot 2 does in the snow in Kansas and it knocked em' off their feet and looked like a blood bath. First one got knocked into a little ravine and the second one must have had a brain concussion because it just stood there. lol. There was blood splattered for a long way.
                    I remember standing over them going "dang"!

Comment

Maybe

Originally posted by Maddies Dad View Post
                      What about using it on a nilgai? Opinions, please.
                      Some outfitters require a 30 cal rifle due to past experiences with hunters bringing too small caliber rifles or wrong bullet jacket choice. Remember Jack O’Connor shot everything (except a grizzly) with a .270 win rifle decades ago.

Comment

Working...
                      X