What youth rifle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What youth rifle?

Looking for some thing for a 8 and a 10 yr old . Would an AR with a adjustable stock be an option, something that won't break the bank ?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Either that or a Howa Axiom or any youth model that might fit them.

Comment

I have a new England single shot 223. That I got when I was 6 or so. Great little gun. Won't ever get rid of it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

I grew up shooting a single shot Handi Rifle and was easy to handle.

I personally would go the AR route, there is essentially no recoil at all, fits all shooters, and easily upgrade able on the cheap. You can build one for around $300 if you shop around for parts but you can also buy a complete one for $400.

I would not pay anything more than $500 for any basic AR off the shelf at any brick and mortar store.

Comment

an adjustable stock is the biggest plus for a youth gun. If the gun does not fit the kid...they will not shoot good and will be uncomfortable shooting.

A .223 is a good caliber for kids. A .243 is also good. as well as a 7mm-08. my boys have used all those. As they get older, consider a full size gun/caliber that you can get reduced loads for. My son shoots a 30-06 that he has had for years. Shot reduced loads at first but not anymore.

Comment

AR-15 with an adjustable stock in 6.5 Grendel.

1 rifle and both you and him can shoot it. Only 1 gun to the blind. With a suppressor you can watch the bullet hit in the scope the recoil is so low.

Comment

If you want to not break the bank but get a gun that is extreamly accurate 1" group or less get the CVA Hunter compact in 223

Comment

my daughter used an AR from ages 9-11,it worked perfect for her because of the adjustable stock and no recoil.We used 62 grain fusion 223 ammo and it worked perfectly.she was comfortable with the rifle and confident.Two different one shot kills at 75 yards on two 8pt bucks.This year at age 12 I got her a 243 in the Browning micro medallion and she is shooting it perfectly.

Comment

Remington model 7

Comment

I bought my kid a .243 when she was 8. However, this last season (14), she picked up my 6.5 Grendel and doesn't seem interested in the .243 anymore.

Comment

For a first rifle its hard for me to get excited about a cheap ar. I still have my first rifle (Remington model 600 in 243) that I got from my grandma when I was 12. Hopefully my son will be hunting with it in 8-9 years too. There is a bit of sentimental value to it. I have friends who have used the single shot handi rifles for several generations as well. It doesnt have to be a super nice gun but a $300 ar just doesnt seem like something you would hand down from generation to generation. I have a picture of my grandma with her first elk and a picture of me with my first deer; both with that one rifle. For that reason I would go for something a little more classic. Maybe thats just me.

Comment

Browning Micro-Midas fits the bill perfectly.

Comment

Howa, mini action with the chassis stock has AR buttstock for fit, in 6.5 Grendel. One they can use for life if they want. Why buy now and another later?

Comment

My little guy is turning 8 in a few weeks and also has been practicing with a AR but wanted something a little more suited or fit for the next few years of hunting. I couldn't find anything I liked off the shelf that I would consider a great option in regards to size or quality knowing in a few years he would want something else. I already had a 22-250 in the safe that wasn't being used and figured I could find a wood stock that could be fitted to him. Got lucky and ran across a old wood 700 short action stock at a local gun store that had previously been fiberglass bedded. Cut 2.5" off after rounding the raised cheek pad to size and added a Limbsaver pad all for around $100. Fresh coat of paint and he's ready to go. Just a idea if you already have a smaller caliber gun in the collection that would make a good donor temporarily.

Comment

Both my boys shot 243 at that age. Hornady makes a reduced recoil 85 gr that is lethal.
                              The Ruger American compact is a great youth model IMO.
                              Talen is 11 & still shooting the same gun.

Comment

Working...
                              X