Advice on little kids bows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on little kids bows?

I have a big 4 year old that turns 5 in February. He is a very big kid for his age, Dr said he is the size of a six year old. He has had a bear first shot for almost a year. He loves to shoot it and has got his form down pretty good. He groups a 4" group 9 times out of 10. He has really picked up on it and I am very impressed. But the other day he asked "When can I can have a real bow like you and mom." I said he would have to get bigger and stronger. He said "Oh, OK how much bigger before I can have a bow with one of these (pointing at the sight on my bow) and shoot far like you."

So with Christmas and/or his birthday coming up, I got to thinking and calculated his draw length and it is 16-3/4", but I don't know what kind of weight he can pull. My wife is confident he can pull 5 pounds easy and possibly up close to 10 lbs.

Anybody know of a bow with a sight that he could possibly shoot?
    Anybody have an idea on how I can figure out what weight he can draw?
    Is it even a good idea to upgrade him yet?
    When did you guys/girls get your kids into shooting a bow and when did you start upgrading them? Any advice would be appreciated.

Pse mini burner

Comment

Originally posted by BeetleGuy View Post
      Pse mini burner
      Pse mini burner appears to be a little big at 20 lbs being the lowest draw weight rating. Am I looking at something wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by Ten Ring View Post
        Pse mini burner appears to be a little big at 20 lbs being the lowest draw weight rating. Am I looking at something wrong?
        It will go lower than that. Prob down to 8-10. Pm me your number if you want to talk bows. I coach youth archery and we have used most of them

Comment

Diamond Infinite Edge.....and be done

Comment

Originally posted by GhostSkull View Post
            This

Comment

Matter of fact...

Comment

Physical weight is too much for a 5yo. Check out the Diamond Atomic. My 4 yo is like yours and is big for his age. 16" draw and almost 20 lbs. The squirrels are in trouble

Comment

Bear Cruzer, has a 12-30" draw length, and goes from 5-70 lbs.

I bought one for my wife, since I knew she'd climb relatively quickly, from 20 to 40-50 pounds. She shoots 3D tournaments with me, and while it's definitely not a flagship bow, she'll never be FORCED to upgrade

Comment

I talked to the wife about getting him a real bow and she said she was good for it until I told her the prices. Lol, but I was still able to talk her into letting me get him one.

I believe we have determined he is left eye dominant but he says prefers to shoot right handed. I come from a belief that if he is left eye dominant then, have him shoot a left handed bow and he will get use to it. If we got him a right handed bow and he was taught right handed, would it affect anything? Would it be starting him out on the wrong foot?

I talked to a guy at Cabelas Saturday morning and the diamond atomic does not come in left hand. He did has a diamond prime, which comes left and right handed and is lighter then the edge. We are thinking about going to Cabelas one afternoon here in Waco and let him try one or two out and make sure he is able/wants to continue forward? Has anybody had any experience with the Diamond Prime?

Sorry for all the questions.

Comment

When he does reach the size/age where he can shoot a regular weight bow, you need to buy him the Diamond Infinite Edge. I am not exaggerating when I say it is absolutely whisper quiet. I still shoot a Switchback (because I can't find a good reason to change) and my son's Infinite Edge is quieter. It's unbelievably quiet. It gives a youngster a chance to shoot a good bow that they can grow with.

Comment

I just bought a diamond atomic for my little girl and she will be 6 on the 23rd. Its adjustable from 5-29lbs and 12-24"draw length. I cant wait to get her started.

Comment

Close the thread.

Comment

He will adapt to the weight and build muscle for it very quickly.
                            This is your best bet imo.

Comment

Infinite edge is too big and heavy. I say Diamond Atomic would be just about perfect.

Comment

Working...
                              X