The Fulshear Project - our barndominium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
    Awesome job. I can relate to how much work this is. I’m working to finish my 40 x 80 shop. Can you share how long it took to complete? I no longer have a day job so I’m doing everything past the building shell myself,plumbing, electrical, hvac, framing, cabinets, trim, etc.
    It was right at a year, from ground breaking until it was "liveable".
    I'm still not all the way done, as I said, I still have some caulking to do, and 3 cabinet doors to hang.
    I was only working on it, evenings and weekends. Full time, I think I could have done it in 6 months or so. Not having to wait on subcontractors speeds things along. Doing all the work yourself, really slows it down.

Comment

Tremendous work Kevin. Gives me some ideas. Wish I had your skill sets to pull off some of the things you’ve done. About the only craftsmanship skill I have is being able to swing a hammer pretty hard. I can hit a nail and my thumb with fairly equal accuracy

Kudos sir!

Comment

Nice job. These treads are inspiring for some including myself.

About 10 years ago I built a 3400sqft shop at the rancho anticipating building a home in the future. Fast forward to today...... my wife and I are 3 years into building a 3995sq ft barndo. It's been alot of work and time but will be worth it when done. Working on my days off and being 1 1/2 hours away has added to the time line. We are in the painting the interior stage currently. Just finished spraying 60 gallon s of primer.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
          Yes, Doug. The building is 40x80, PLUS the porches ... so the overall footprint is 130x40.
          Thanks Kevin. I would love to know what it cost for the slab and building, but I see you had some inside help that would cut the costs.

My wife and I are looking for some property in Bell County to do the same thing when we are done working or trying to retire and moving back "home", her in December, me in May 2020.

That again is one awesome build, especially doing the inside yourself, what we are looking at also!

Comment

****! Great job! When’s the house warming party?

Comment

Awesome! Very well done!

Comment

Truly an awesome property Kevin!

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Man that’s awesome. Did I read it right that you’re still planning on building a house?

Comment

Looks great

Comment

Awesome!

As asked above are you still planning on building a house. That barndo is perfect and paid for! Your detail in the shower, doors, wood work is incredible.

Comment

Nice! Congrats
                        Last edited by BrokenJ; 05-01-2019, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Looks awesome! I been trying to convince my wife we need a barndominium so we can move out of the city!

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                            Thanks Kevin. I would love to know what it cost for the slab and building, but I see you had some inside help that would cut the costs.

My wife and I are looking for some property in Bell County to do the same thing when we are done working or trying to retire and moving back "home", her in December, me in May 2020.

That again is one awesome build, especially doing the inside yourself, what we are looking at also!
                            Doug, on all the concrete, we cut costs by getting the contractor to give us a labor only quote. I picked up the rebar and ordered the concrete, and paid for it. When the contractor does it, they put a pretty hefty mark-up on the materials for that short term "loan". I had a geotech report done, and an engineer friend of mine did the slab design. Then, before they could lay the rebar, it rained, and washed out the beams ... so they're even bigger than the original design.

Originally posted by be12hunt View Post
                            Man that’s awesome. Did I read it right that you’re still planning on building a house?
                            Originally posted by manwitaplan View Post
                            Awesome!

As asked above are you still planning on building a house. That barndo is perfect and paid for! Your detail in the shower, doors, wood work is incredible.
                            Yes.

This was always intended to be a temporary place to live until we built a house on the property. Looking back, we both wish we would have placed it differently on the property, and made it bigger, but it's too late now. I've suggested just adding a big wing to it, but it would have a really funky flow. The house won't be started for probably 3 more years.

Comment

Thats awesome!!! Congrats!!!

Comment

sweet place man... great job... like the tile in the double shower

Comment

Working...
                                X