No announcement yet.

Changing Engine Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

do it myself (1 time at lube shop stripped out drain plug)never again/most auto parts store will take used oil and recycle it for u

Comment

do it all myself

I do all my oil changes, maintenance, and repairs myself (or with or by my sons).

Our cars/trucks are all over 100k miles, so we use Castrol high mileage or an equivalent and a fram filter.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
        Where does everyone get rid of the used oil?
        Save it in the container new oil comes in and mix with a little gas or diesel We use it for fire starter

My grandpa/dad painted fence boards/outside wood with theirs. Said it makes them last longer and keep the bugs off of it
        They were stored in a 55 gallon drum all the tractors trucks Etc I don't go through that much
        Last edited by SCREAMINREELS; 06-08-2018, 11:45 AM.

Comment

County dump has a big bulk tote container you pour it in. They have one for coolant also.

I do my oil changes, also coolant, transmission, transmission filter, transfer case, differentials, power steering, brakes, brake fluid, batteries, belts, wiper blades, fuel filters, air filters, timing belt on my car, etc. Everything I can. It saves tons of money and it gets done right with higher end fluids and parts.

I dont need someone telling me my blinker fluid or washer bearings need to be changed.
          Last edited by Lungbustr; 06-08-2018, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SCREAMINREELS View Post
            Save it in the container new oil comes in and mix with a little gas or diesel We use it for fire starter

My grandpa/dad painted fence boards/outside wood with theirs. Said it makes them last longer and keep the bugs off of it
            They were stored in a 55 gallon drum all the tractors trucks Etc I don't go through that much
            I do the same. I have a 55-gallon drum that I pour it in and any oil products. I add a few gallons of diesel every so often. I use it in a pump up sprayer to spray on equipment, treat wood on trailers, spray on anything I don't want rusting....

Comment

Originally posted by SCREAMINREELS View Post

I have 10 gallons in my shop from working on vehicles, I don't want to keep adding to it. I do put on trailer boards, makes them last forever, but does not use it up.

I would probably change my own, if I had a good way to get rid of the used oil

Comment

I get mine done. I don't mind paying a little extra. I'm not a mechanic, and I hate mechanic work.

Comment

I haven’t changed my own oil in 10 years and I don’t miss it one single bit.

If somebody screws up and burns up my engine they will buy me a new engine. Simple as that. That’s why they carry liability insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I change the oil in every motor I own. Used to be to save money, and now it's because I like knowing what's going on with my motors. Oftentimes while I'm under there I see things that the jiffy lube guy wouldn't bother to mention.

I use Schaeffer Supreme 7000 oil and Mobil 1 filters.

Every auto parts store I've ever been to will let you dispose of used oil for free.

Last edited by 35remington; 06-08-2018, 12:18 PM.

Comment

If you plan ahead these days, there is no reason for you to have to wait longer than 45 mins.

Just have to set an appointment and get it in there.

As has been said, the time I would have to take to change it myself is not worth the difference to me. Truck is 5 yrs old with 150k and Mobil 1 is the only thing that has ever been in it. Have not had one issue ever.

I held out on mowing my lawn as well, and I may make my kiddos do it here in a bit. As far as me being out there for 2 hours or paying $30 to have it done in 25 mins. It doesn't add up for me to continue to do it.

I will also say I run around everywhere with 4 kiddos with 4 competitive sports going on. Weekends are for games and fun.

Comment

I change my own. I don't want some guy making minimum wage working on my 60k dollar truck.
                        Rotella T6 in the diesel. Mobile 1 in the gas engines.

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
                          If you plan ahead these days, there is no reason for you to have to wait longer than 45 mins.

Just have to set an appointment and get it in there.

As has been said, the time I would have to take to change it myself is not worth the difference to me. Truck is 5 yrs old with 150k and Mobil 1 is the only thing that has ever been in it. Have not had one issue ever.

I held out on mowing my lawn as well, and I may make my kiddos do it here in a bit. As far as me being out there for 2 hours or paying $30 to have it done in 25 mins. It doesn't add up for me to continue to do it.

I will also say I run around everywhere with 4 kiddos with 4 competitive sports going on. Weekends are for games and fun.
                          And thats the thing. It takes me 25 minutes to get to town. I can have my oil changed in about half that time. Much less the time it takes for them to do it. At this point money is not the issue for me, its time. Without a doubt, for me, if the question is whether to sit and wait 20 min for some guy to change it, or do it myself, taking my sweet time and taking 20 min, I will do it myself, hands down.

Comment

I used to do it myself on all of my vehicles until I bought my new truck. The dealership is about the same price as if I were to do it myself and I'm always the first one there on Saturday mornings so I'm in and out pretty quick.

Comment

I do it myself, always have. Nothing but Mobil 1 full synthetic, and I just switched to the Mobile 1 filters. Can get it done faster, and it's just less hassle doing it myself. That's all my 2002 Tundra has ever had in it, and it still runs great.

Comment

I used to do it myself, but once I moved into town, I started taking my vehicle in for oil changes.

Back when I lived outside the city, it was much easier to do myself. Plenty of room and I didn't have worry about spilling oil on a concrete driveway. I would just store used oil in a 5 gallon bucket and every couple of changes, just head to Autozone to dispose.

These days I don't care about violating my man card. It's simply not worth my time and effort for the price savings of doing it myself. I know some guys brag about being able to change their oil in like 5 minutes, but I was never able to do it faster than about half an hour. That included fetching the tools and clean-up.

Comment

Working...
                                X