Type 1 Diabetes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 125Dad View Post
    Get him a pump. I use a Omnipod it’s tubeless.
    Way much easier then 5 to 7 shots a day. I was diagnosed later in life (20) so no help with being a kid. But would think it would be easier to find out younger just for the fact of bad eating habits.

Good luck for you and your son.

I agree with pump, also continuous glucose monitor. I've been type 1 since 22, 35 years now. My youngest son was diagnosed at 15, 7 years now. Look into sending him to Camp Sweeney, a diabetic camp for kids here in Texas up near Gainesville. Kids from 4 -18 years go for 3 weeks. Learn a lot about being diabetic and that they can do anything that non diabetics can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I can relate, my son was diagnosed at 5 and is now 28. Educate yourself! Like others have posted the pump helps tremendously. Every situation is different but we decided not to let it be an excuse for anything. He did everything he wanted to do and we adapted. Football, baseball, basketball, hunting, college, work..... didn't matter. He is now a hunting guide in remote parts of west texas. We have a communication and support plan in place for extreme lows which do not happen often, but do happen. You will need to prepare yourself for those also. Basically educate yourself on it and respond calmly during the medical emergency. My first one.... that is easier said than done but we got through it. I told my son that god deals the hand and we have to play it... we do the very best we can for as long as we can, no matter what. Praying for you and yours.

Comment

Camp Sweeney. Best thing for young kids with type 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BowDude View Post
          Camp Sweeney. Best thing for young kids with type 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This

Comment

I've had type 1 for 12 years now, was diagnosed a day before my 13th birthday.

I'm on the Omnipod and Dexcom, both were life changing especially the Dexcom.

If possibly when he is the right age, send him to Camp Sweeney, I never knew about it when I was first diagnosed and by the time I heard and read about it, I was too old.

Comment

Thanks for the great advise. It will definitely take some getting used to. we just received word on approval for the dexcom g6 so thats good news.

Comment

Originally posted by gsimms View Post
                Thanks for the great advise. It will definitely take some getting used to. we just received word on approval for the dexcom g6 so thats good news.
                This is all depending on insurance of course. Don't be sticker shocked if you have to shell out 2k or more getting all the supplies and medications needed to get started. Also, depending on insurance, check to see if the Dexcom is cheaper through your medical or pharmacy plan. Ours is cheaper through pharmacy. This is all of my son's cost, approximately, for supplies till out of pocket max and deductible are met.

CGM - through medicine $1250, Pharmacy $385 for a 3-4 month supply.
                Insulin - before discount card $175 3-4 month supply with card, $75. That's for both long and short acting when he was doing both. Now just on pump.
                Glucometer - can't remember. Strips before discount card $185 after $125. The strips for the meter we have now that we have to use for his pump is $285 after discount card.
                Finger stick device - and cartridges for it, I cannot recall.
                Alcohol pads, I don't know.
                Keto-stix - $20 ish
                Glucagon - $10 or $20 per cartridge. Through mail order it would of been $100.

I'm not trying to scare you. Just giving you a heads up on what to expect. Max your FSA out every year and you will spend it all. I cannot stress enough the importance of the discount cards. Just search your insulin brand name and discount card. Example, Humalog discount card and pick the one to the manufacture. Also, some mail order services will not use the discount card so, get all scripts transferred to a pharmacy if you can. They accept it, we have to use CVS because we have Caremark.

I'm sure I'm missing a couple of items.
                Last edited by icetrauma; 06-06-2018, 12:26 PM.

Comment

one other tip, starbursts are an easy, cheap and convenient way to always have something on hand if blood sugar gets low. I have starbursts everywhere just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by icetrauma View Post
                    This is all depending on insurance of course. Don't be sticker shocked if you have to shell out 2k or more getting all the supplies and medications needed to get started. Also, depending on insurance, check to see if the Dexcom is cheaper through your medical or pharmacy plan. Ours is cheaper through pharmacy. This is all of my son's cost, approximately, for supplies till out of pocket max and deductible are met.

CGM - through medicine $1250, Pharmacy $385 for a 3-4 month supply.
                    Insulin - before discount card $175 3-4 month supply with card, $75. That's for both long and short acting when he was doing both. Now just on pump.
                    Glucometer - can't remember. Strips before discount card $185 after $125. The strips for the meter we have now that we have to use for his pump is $285 after discount card.
                    Finger stick device - and cartridges for it, I cannot recall.
                    Alcohol pads, I don't know.
                    Keto-stix - $20 ish
                    Glucagon - $10 or $20 per cartridge. Through mail order it would of been $100.

I'm not trying to scare you. Just giving you a heads up on what to expect. Max your FSA out every year and you will spend it all. I cannot stress enough the importance of the discount cards. Just search your insulin brand name and discount card. Example, Humalog discount card and pick the one to the manufacture. Also, some mail order services will not use the discount card so, get all scripts transferred to a pharmacy if you can. They accept it, we have to use CVS because we have Caremark.

I'm sure I'm missing a couple of items.
                    Yep I had to do the same thing when I got a new job and new health insurance. My pods from Omnipod were WAY cheaper through pharmacy then through a supplier, blew my mind how the prices can differ so much.

Comment

Originally posted by TxGiant View Post
                      Yep I had to do the same thing when I got a new job and new health insurance. My pods from Omnipod were WAY cheaper through pharmacy then through a supplier, blew my mind how the prices can differ so much.
                      It's crazy and stupid. Even when mail order vs store front. Unfortunately Medtronics forces us to use them and not pharmacy. Bastages.

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
                        one other tip, starbursts are an easy, cheap and convenient way to always have something on hand if blood sugar gets low. I have starbursts everywhere just in case.

I use the individual peach cups, those seem perfect for bringing my blood sugar up when it crashes.

Comment

You can also buy insulin pen carrying cases that will help keep the insulin cool for when you travel.

Edit...some kids react to the adhesive of the Dexcom. You can pretreat the site with Flonase. Spray it on and let it dry. Also look at Grif-grips and other type of Dexcom dressings. It will help protect and keep the site cleaner and the adhesive to the Dex will not/should not start to come loose with one on.

Comment

I have a son that is T1D. He is 6 now and was Diagnosed at 3. All I can add is that every child/person is different. It will be challenging at first but you and child can handle it and will persevere. I will be praying for you and God Bless

Comment

Working...
                            X