Hunting dog skills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting dog skills

I've been looking at some local kennels trying to make a decision on a pup recently. I'm definitely going with a lab for the breed and the primary use for the dog will be retrieving (dove, ducks, etc), and shed hunting. My question for the GS is do any of you guys have your dogs trained on multiple skills? As in will your lab retrieve, find sheds, and bust quail? Could you also get it trained up to bust rabbits in brush too? I'd like to make this dog an all around hunting monster but I don't want to try to put too much on him or do anything that could take away from his abilities to retrieve. I'm very much a novice when it comes to training hunting dogs but I've got some experience with other types of working dogs. Any input or info about your dogs or how you've trained them in the past is appreciated.

Bump

Comment

I've got a gsp, and she's an all around hunting machine. I work w my dog throwing a decoy constantly. I take her to the lake to swim twice a week. She ll fetch dove all day, she can point quail, and loves to snatch up ducks. I'm very happy w our dog. She's a little over a yr old, and I've worked w her from day 1. Watching her learn and grow has been a rewarding experience. We ve still got quite a road to go, but she ll get there.

Comment

Im by no means a dog trainer, but my lab mix was was able to pick up retrieving birds and blood trailing deer. Now shes not the best at blood trailing, but with how she took to it I have no doubt she could be great with the proper training. So to answer your question, I dont think 2 or 3 jobs are too much just so long as you learn to communicate properly with what you want your dog to do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

As a rule of thumb, I've always been told to pick "Feathers or Fur"

It would be pretty annoying if you were quail hunting with a dog, and realized that the last 20 acres, she has been trailing a deer that is long gone.

As far as retriever, upland hunting, or pointing, I don't think that would be too much for a well trained dog.

Comment

GSP might be your best bet for the things you have in mind. They were bred to do all of that and more.

Comment

Get a GSP. They're called versatile hunting dogs for a reason.

Comment

Boykin. Mine will do all that, you can have them trained for shed hunting and blood trailing depending on how serious you want to be about it. If you just want the dog that has the natural ability to do it I would strongly think about a Boykin or GSP.

Comment

Originally posted by Craw3773 View Post
                  As a rule of thumb, I've always been told to pick "Feathers or Fur"

It would be pretty annoying if you were quail hunting with a dog, and realized that the last 20 acres, she has been trailing a deer that is long gone.

As far as retriever, upland hunting, or pointing, I don't think that would be too much for a well trained dog.
                  ?

Comment

I wouldn't want my dog to bust quail. I'd want him to point and hold and let me bust them. And if he's my quail dog, I sure wouldn't want to encourage him to chase rabbits.

Comment

I've had two Deutsch Drahthaars and they are a versatile breed. Was a lab guy my entire life but these dogs can point, retrieve and blood trail. They are bred for it and a well trained Draht is very good at these tasks. Mine are great family dogs and have been hunting machines. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                      X