Field/Pack RATS at Deer Camp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Field/Pack RATS at Deer Camp?

Nope, no pics...BUT, unless you LIVE at your Ranch or Lease...well?

The dang pack rats/mice, whatever you want to call them are as usual creating MASS destruction around our camp RV's and lease vehicles.

Typical, extension RV cords chewed on, all the usual. Had one pack rat build a nest under the hood of Ford Ranger, clogged up the intake/carb..., "dead one" that died in the exhaust of one of our Crew UTV'S. But when they completely shred a portion of MY satellite coax, that's it...time to die!

Yeah...I like to relax in my camp RV and watch sports or movies when out of the stand and waiting for the campfires in the evening after the hunt.

So....any suggestions to get their A.. from terrorizing our Camp? Not my 1st rodeo by any means, but just wondering....let me know!

I had to set out lives traps to catch them at my place. I never found a poison that would do the trick. Wish I was more helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Do you have any junk piles or brush piles they could be staying in? If so set fire to those and shoot them when they run out.

We had them real bad around the house when I was a kid. There was a brush pile across the street and we burned it. No more rats.
      Last edited by okrattler; 11-17-2018, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Electric traps work well.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
          Do you have any junk piles or brush piles they could be staying in? If so set fire to those and shoot them when they run out.
          Your suggestion reminds me of when I had my small ranch a few years ago. I would get on my Tractor/Shredder and shoot the little Bast...s while mowing pastures with my 410 snake charmer. I'm sure I did not do much damage to the population, but it was fun! Just imagine hitting the clutch and sending some shot quickly?

I missed more than I killed, but it was still a BLAST.

Seriously, our camp area has all the weeds, grass mowed down, but they still are "attacking" us all the time. And NO, in case anyone suggests, we don't need any "feral cats" turned loose! We have a LOT of quail and from experience kill any cats we see. Same with Bobcats, we have a LOT of them around our pastures.

Comment

Originally posted by kumathebear View Post
            Your suggestion reminds me of when I had my small ranch a few years ago. I would get on my Tractor/Shredder and shoot the little Bast...s while mowing pastures with my 410 snake charmer. I'm sure I did not do much damage to the population, but it was fun! Just imagine hitting the clutch and sending some shot quickly?

I missed more than I killed, but it was still a BLAST.

Seriously, our camp area has all the weeds, grass mowed down, but they still are "attacking" us all the time. And NO, in case anyone suggests, we don't need any "feral cats" turned loose! We have a LOT of quail and from experience kill any cats we see. Same with Bobcats, we have a LOT of them around our pastures.
            That does sound fun. My brother and I used to find pack rat nest and tear them up and shoot them with a shotgun when they'd run out. They're fun to shoot for sure but for a good rat eradication it's best to find the source of the problem. I know it could cause more of a problem than it'd solve but all I'd know to do is create a home for them. By that I mean a brush pile or trash pit you can burn every now and then to keep the numbers down. Other than that all I'd know to do is set traps. I know it sounds counter productive but being in the boonies and surrounded by rats there's no way you can get very many.
            Last edited by okrattler; 11-17-2018, 07:00 PM.

Comment

A lot of different ideas on the “google”, everything from dryer sheets to garlic to peppermint spray. The best is to keep your grass around camp mowed, keep the brush pushed back around your camp perimeter, and put out poison around the trailers. We just bought some ultrasonic pest repellent on amazon and a vehicle rodent spray that has peppermint in it. Everything seems to be working. I waged war on them last year and will try anything.

Comment

sticky traps and cayenne pepper, poison sticks just make sure mans best friend doesn't eat it can get expensive or fatal!!!

Comment

If no cats get some snakes.

Snakes will be there sooner or later anyways.

Green years for us = more mice = tons of rattlers

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Get some
                    Just One Bite
                    It will get rid of them.

Comment

Poison and traps at our place. Even on the tractor engine.

Gary

Comment

i had one in my truck for about a month. ate floor mats, seat belts and carpet. finally used rat bait soaked in anti freeze to get rid of it

Comment

I use that rat poison from t s c. It is those green cubes and put a screw thru the middle hole in them and screw them to a board so the rats have to eat them on the board and not just pack them to their nest and never eat them. We use to put bearing grease on their runs and they get lick it off their feet and die.

Comment

Just one bite

Comment

We hunted Chap year before last

Dang rat chewed up all kinds of stuff under the hood of dad's truck

Chewed the heater hose to the point it leaked
                              Can only hope the demon got a sip of antifreeze and died
                              We were there less than a week before they attacked, I can only imagine what they do if left for months at a time

Comment

Working...
                              X