THE Official Twin Buttes Reservoir Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*Bump*
    Anyone planning on coming out this way this season? I'm off work all the time and hunt midweek and weekends. Lost our lease we thought we had for this season (long story) so I'm back to hunting public land until MLD season. So if ya wanna hook up out this way hit me up a PM around here guys

Comment

Tb/sasp

Yes, myself and some buds are planning to come back this year. probably around first to mid Nov. I will be in Abilene and Angelo the weekend of the 25th Sept to visit family in Angelo. hope to meet up some time.

Comment

Originally posted by stonesmokey View Post
        Yes, myself and some buds are planning to come back this year. probably around first to mid Nov. I will be in Abilene and Angelo the weekend of the 25th Sept to visit family in Angelo. hope to meet up some time.
        Hit me up a few days before ya come and I can tell ya what days Im off. We'll go run around some of my favorite areas out there. Ive been scouting some the past couple weeks and seen a few deer running around even midday when weve been out.

Comment

Conditions Update:

Been raining with some heavy thunderstorms the passed couple days and 30% chance of rain and local thinderstorms for next couple days thru the weekend.

It should really help the grasses green up as some areas were starting to get a bit dry. The draws and small gullys and low lands are still pretty green and have been holding alot of water from the rains. Alot of the roads are unpassable even with 4 wheel drive as of today 9/10/09 and will take several days to dry out. PLEASE DON'T GO OUT TEARING UP THE ROADS right now just to go scouting. GET OUT AND WALK.

I walked a bit of the area I hunt yesterday and found much more actitvity than had previously thought was in the area because it was so much easier to track versus how hard and dry it had been prior.

Comment

Hey SanAngeloBowman,
            Some friends and I are heading to San Angelo for some hunting in October. Was wondering if San Angelo Public Lands were any good or if we should just pay attention to TBR? Thoughts?

Comment

McKinney Huh?

Originally posted by txhunter2008 View Post
              Hey SanAngeloBowman,
              Some friends and I are heading to San Angelo for some hunting in October. Was wondering if San Angelo Public Lands were any good or if we should just pay attention to TBR? Thoughts?
              I noticed you're from Mckinney. Same here. Can't comment on your post as I haven't been out to the Butes yet. I did take a seven point off the State Park last year. It happened to be the only deer that got close enough, saw a few does and heard lots of buck sightings but I only seen the one I took home.

Stoney

Comment

Hey SanAngeloBowman,
                If the water is holding in some of the dry creek beds and the concho river is flowing I'd say try the state park first. TBR Would be a good choice but is much bigger and if you havent been out scouting to find a spot way in the back of one of the units I'm afraid you will be frustrated at the "Traffic" on weekends out there. Key is getting far back in and away from people. A 4 wheeler or 4x4 is definitely needed. Personally I like walk-in units. Usually much better chances. I dont hunt the state park myself (Yet) cause I dont like wearing the orange garb while bowhunting.

Comment

Stoney will call ya today. I got busy at work, but I'm off today.

Comment

stone smokey,
                    Yeah from McKinney....do you hunt nearby too? There are a lot of places nearby to hunt. I mainly hunt at Tawakoni....my favorite...but last year also hunted at Cooper, and LBJ grasslands...found a good small unit...my buddy took a decent buck off it lastyear. I also went and scouted the new area in Caddo grassland along the red river which is bow only now as of last year.

Comment

appreciate the info bowman! Will let you know how we do!

Comment

appreciate the info bowman! Will let you know how we do!
                        Hey lemme know when your group is coming. I'm gonna hunt the state park too. I talked to the guy at the HQ that is charge of SASP hunting and he said that you ONLY have to wear the orange garb while moving INTO and OUT of your hunting area, and that you CAN take it off when you reach your hunting area AND while stalking in that area as well, so I'm IN.

I suggest calling the park HQ. He was very helpful about giving me water source info for certain units that I never would have known about even from Sat. photos/google earth etc.

Most people hunt those last 2 units on the North end of FM2288 closest to the Concho River. I'm going to scout the Turkey Creek area away from crowds aND CLOSER TO MY HOUSE. iTS LESS THAN 5 MINS AWAY FOR ME

Comment

bowman,
                          we will be up there oct 14-18th...staying at state park at the cabins. Interested in what you see while scouting...

Comment

bowman,
                            we will be up there oct 14-18th...staying at state park at the cabins. Interested in what you see while scouting...
                            you coming with Stoney?

Comment

Txhunter,
                              I know some guys that hunt up at Caddo, but I have another lease with my family and to be honest don't have enough time to hunt there, although I hear a lot of good about it and wish I could.

Bowman, thanks again for the info and showing me around. I am still looking for the map I have of SP.

Comment

Originally posted by stonesmokey View Post
                                Txhunter,
                                I know some guys that hunt up at Caddo, but I have another lease with my family and to be honest don't have enough time to hunt there, although I hear a lot of good about it and wish I could.

Bowman, thanks again for the info and showing me around. I am still looking for the map I have of SP.
                                I talked to Lake & Parks folks and that last unit we looked at where I said would be great along river for treestands?.....that back fence is the boundry, but the trees along fence line are plenty big enough probably for a stand in a few places as well.

Looking forward to tagging along in your areas next time ya come out. Gimmee a shout Stoney when ya have some dates of your next trip. I'm gonna checkout some new spots in Units 1-3 at SASP before ya come back too.

How s your FIL doing?

Comment

Working...
                                X