THE Official Twin Buttes Reservoir Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BOSSMAN View Post
    hey everyone just joined the site . i noticed the info about the hunting in san angelo me and a friend went down there the 22-24 of nov and had no luck we were planning to go back but were looking for more info about all the places to hunt we had a map we got from a bait store showing all the areas but were interested in lV & V any help would be great.
    PM me sometime. Those are my areas around our lease. I heard quite a bit of shooting and seen some people take some deer this week. I've noticed a bit more movement with the cooler weather lately too.

Comment

Now I know where your lease is . I know where all the big deer yall have seen are at......High fenced Breeder owns that property next to ya right? How many Big deer have you actually seen on your lease itself? I wouldn't hunt Public land if I had a lease if I was you....why do you? Just curious! I leased the property across from yours a few years "From the Mc Gowans" back behind Town&Country......some big deer for sure over there.

Comment

Not to sound bitter about public land and I guess if that's all I had options for I would hunt it as well......I spent 15+ years in these areas you speak of and know them like the back of my hand......some great deer for sure in some areas but the hassle of dealing with uncontrollable inconsiderate hunters is not worth it for me any more. Good luck to all! I'm still just bitter after loosing my friends Dad to a hunter who thought he was a Turkey years ago on OC fishers area #4......I was there and he was my best friend at the time......seeing such a tragedy in person keeps me away from public land anymore.....don't get me wrong I hunted several years after the loss of my best friends Dad on the same unit but it always stayed with me. I've had a lease ever since I left that public land and just want everyone to be safe out there......nobody needs to see or have this happen to them!

Comment

Originally posted by KingsX View Post
          Now I know where your lease is . I know where all the big deer yall have seen are at......High fenced Breeder owns that property next to ya right? How many Big deer have you actually seen on your lease itself? I wouldn't hunt Public land if I had a lease if I was you....why do you? Just curious! I leased the property across from yours a few years "From the Mc Gowans" back behind Town&Country......some big deer for sure over there.
          Yep thats it! Been over on the Public Land a few times now because we had to turn our feeders of this week due to Cal's cows destroying our pens and running all the deer off ON TO the public land. The cows HAVE wandered off except one bull thats stuck around and we have noticed ALOT more deer coming back during the daylight hours. I ran into a HUGE buck walking back to my truck to get some more Gatorade before sitting down for the evening sit at around 4pm, dang!

Comment

Deer movement has been pretty good this week. Saw deer every day. Our group took a 7 point buck and a doe. Some gyys had some shots off on deer and missed. I passed on several does looking for a buck`......so there was some pretty decent activity.

There has also been some evidence of poaching going on in the area and the Game Warden is very aware of this. We have had 4 wheelers and Carts going around the gates on our place and had the GW out this week and they will be sitting up on our lease watching for poachers.

Other news......Duck hunters in the early AM on weekend mornings have been making a hellova lot a racket. ( when that season over ?)

Comment

[QUOTE=

Other news......Duck hunters in the early AM on weekend mornings have been making a hellova lot a racket. ( when that season over ?)[/QUOTE]

I was hoping to find out where I could duck hunt so it won't interfere with the deer hunting. I used to live there 10 years ago, and at the time there wasn't a lot of deer hunting going on.

Any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by jgg View Post
                I was hoping to find out where I could duck hunt so it won't interfere with the deer hunting. I used to live there 10 years ago, and at the time there wasn't a lot of deer hunting going on.

Any suggestions?
                Anywhere around Unit 6 or 7 on the North Lake shore doesn't get deer hunted much because of the motorcycle trails and campground etc. but in the AM anywhere along the north lake or river shores would be very promising from the flight patterns I've seen. I usually seen them fly from south to north over my ranch towards that area.

Comment

Does the lake still have any vegetation that you know of?

When I grew up there the lake was full of water and vegetation, and from what I have heard the lake hit some all time lows over the last few years...

Any truth to that?

Comment

Originally posted by jgg View Post
                    Does the lake still have any vegetation that you know of?

When I grew up there the lake was full of water and vegetation, and from what I have heard the lake hit some all time lows over the last few years...

Any truth to that?
                    I haven't been hunting in Angelo for two years. So it may have changed since then. I have killed ducks just everywhere on the Buttes. There is so much water its tough to tell you where to hunt with out being there.

I will tell you I have had consistently good hunt on water near the south pool.

If you look at the map SA Bowman has posted there is a bottle neck near unit II it is right where the south pool meets the river. If you need more info call me 713-203-9912 I will explain the best I can.

Comment

Originally posted by Hafernick View Post
                      I haven't been hunting in Angelo for two years. So it may have changed since then. I have killed ducks just everywhere on the Buttes. There is so much water its tough to tell you where to hunt with out being there.

I will tell you I have had consistently good hunt on water near the south pool.

If you look at the map SA Bowman has posted there is a bottle neck near unit II it is right where the south pool meets the river. If you need more info call me 713-203-9912 I will explain the best I can.

Thanks for posting Dustin. Good to see ya around here again.

Deer movement was pretty slow the last week or so, but we still managed to put a couple down. I've talked to some other guys hunting TBR yesterday and they have been doing really well. Word is that some good size 8 and 10 point bucks have been taken in the past couple weeks. So stay out there and put some time in and you'll get your chance still. Good luck guys as the season in quickly coming to the end soon.
                      Last edited by SanAngeloBowman; 12-20-2008, 09:27 AM.

Comment

SanAngeloBowman We will be making noise long after you put up your bow for the season. Duck closes on the 25 Jan. We deer hunt during the week and duck hunt on the weekends.
                        Mike

Comment

Originally posted by twigflipper View Post
                          SanAngeloBowman We will be making noise long after you put up your bow for the season. Duck closes on the 25 Jan. We deer hunt during the week and duck hunt on the weekends.
                          Mike
                          It's quieted down some on the weekends. I do most my hunting during the week too. Been seeing some nice covey of quail lately and we're covered up in Dove. Maybe I should take up duck hunting on weekends, huh?

Comment

We had to move to a new spot. Were we were hunting at by you is now dry. The lake has come down over a foot from when the Teal season opened.
                            Mike

Comment

Well It's been so slow at our lease during daylight hours that I have moved off the lease and back onto public lands since most of the guys I know that hunt out around us have been doing quite well. I'm over around 12 Mile bridge now and found some nice areas and scarpes, etc. I found a nice size hog carcass under the bridge today when I left too. The river dries up around that area and there are some nice wallows, so if anyone wants to try some piggy huntin' out there during the off season just gimmee a holler and we'll set something up.

Rob

Comment

Amen on previous posts. SanAngeloBowman and the folks of SA are tops. Thanks, Rob for all the effort and hospitality you showed me. I tried Unit I and scraped up my truck pretty badly. I told my wife that it would buff out with some compound. She's still p o'd.
                                I believe it is a good spot. Saw a big porcupine (what the...?) and a buck (out of range). I hunted Unit III and saw & heard deer, heard turkeys. Hunted Unit IV north of Rob's lease and spooked a bedded doe. It was my first time to bowhunt and I loved it even if I got skunked. I learned a lot from Rob and from other posters. I will try again
                                this year and I will succeed. This year I'm looking at TBR, Alabama Creek WMA near Lufkin and LBJ NG near Decatur. Best luck and see you around SABowman.

Comment

Working...
                                X