No announcement yet.

Fort Hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lance I have been guiding on Hood since 04 and I have passed on a lot of Deer because I know there are deer like this out there. This is Tom Curran little boy not so little now but that was a good day he shot that nice buck and his mom also shot her first deer right across the creek. Last year she took the trophy for the biggest buck on post.
    They are here just be patient. I guess I enjoy all of the first and I have so many pictures of the first. I think that is the reason why I guide.

Oh let me tell you a little something about this guy 3.5 yo 128lb 23" spread
    Attached Files

Comment

Me and Two Banger went out and checked the cam and my old friend is back we named him the crown deer im glad he made it. ( I want a date with him)
      we also found someones set up I found the area last year went in this year to try to find a spot to set up a stand.. Good luck to who ever it is..
      found two more spots threw out some corn and set up a cam time will tell
      Good luck to all
      FLIP

Comment

Originally posted by HoffDawg View Post
        I don't know how many guys hunt on fort hood. I looked at the harvest report from last year, and it looked like alot of young deer were shot. Where I come from, we never did any management. I have never aged or scored deer before, but where I am hunting, if it is legal, it is down.
        Originally posted by ballisticbudda View Post
        Seems around here if it is brown it's down? I'm doing a management thing on the tiny 100 acres in which I hunt. Basically, I do a self imposed antler restriction, don't shoot any does if they are with yearling.

There is a gene in the deer out there where all of the bucks are odd points, with the exception of the one or two spikes. Only got one buck worth shooting coming to the camera. There a a bunch of smaller 10"-13" wide bucks out there, but they are very young.
        Originally posted by BirdRanger View Post
        Lance on public land I primarily focus on the doe population early season, for a few reason.
        1. I got more tage for does
        2. there are more does than buck
        3. Have to fill freezer and with more doe it is a bit easier to harvest them
        4 I focus on the older does, past prime

If a buck was to walk by my stand and was leagal, and it was early seasonit would depend on genetics, all goofed up I would put it in the freezer, nice rack, young age I would let walk till the next year, IF he is still around, on Hood that is probably not likely.

On my own land, I have a doe population from heck, so when I get back, I may just kill off doe this year I have 2 nice bucks on camera but they are young so they get a pass for the next two years or so.
        Originally posted by Walkin STX Hank View Post
        Lance I have been guiding on Hood since 04 and I have passed on a lot of Deer because I know there are deer like this out there. This is Tom Curran little boy not so little now but that was a good day he shot that nice buck and his mom also shot her first deer right across the creek. Last year she took the trophy for the biggest buck on post.
        They are here just be patient. I guess I enjoy all of the first and I have so many pictures of the first. I think that is the reason why I guide.

Oh let me tell you a little something about this guy 3.5 yo 128lb 23" spread
        I do appreciate all of the responses. There is definitely a mixed bag of feelins on the issue. If all of the deer were as big as the one in Mr. JOhn's photo there would be no question. However, I am not a trophy hunter, I need the meat so hopefully there will be a couple of doe days that might present some opportunity. I'm all for management for my son's and there son's but I know if I pass on a deer someone else might just get him. I'm not going to shoot any yearlings but if a spike with 12" or longer horns walked out I may have to go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by BowTechGuardian View Post
          I would like to know your opinion.....

This year my plan is to do more bowhunting. If I get a chance at a deer that is legal meaning 13" spread or 1 unbranched antler, I am probably going to take a shot unless it is just a small deer.

Will you do the same or are you going to be more management minded? I don't want to upset anyone I just want to get a census on what the majority would do.

I believe to have bigger deer in the future you have to let younger bucks walk but I also know that if you don't shoot a legal deer, the hunter in the next tree probably will.
          Me personally I am looking for a trophy , to clarify ,something to hang on the wall . I know a trophy for me is different than other people. I have killed a lot of deer over the years large and small and just to outwit a deer any deer is a major feat most of the time. I enjoy the scouting , setup and helping other people as much or more than actually killing one myself. I was chosen as an assistant guide for John's area this year and am looking forward to all that entails. I have some extremely large deer on camera that never once show themselves after season starts, so I know they are out there. You are putting in the time , have a large family , I say shoot any legal deer that satisfies you. For every small legal buck you shoot , there are 2 out there that will never be shot and die of old age. This is just my opinion of course

Comment

Lance on public land I primarily focus on the doe population early season, for a few reason.
            1. I got more tage for does
            2. there are more does than buck
            3. Have to fill freezer and with more doe it is a bit easier to harvest them
            4 I focus on the older does, past prime

If a buck was to walk by my stand and was leagal, and it was early seasonit would depend on genetics, all goofed up I would put it in the freezer, nice rack, young age I would let walk till the next year, IF he is still around, on Hood that is probably not likely.

On my own land, I have a doe population from heck, so when I get back, I may just kill off doe this year I have 2 nice bucks on camera but they are young so they get a pass for the next two years or so.

This Lance^^^^^^^...

Comment

Lance...get out in the Live Fire areas...here's a pic of mine I shot in 89...scored 144 5/8....biggest I ever shot..all the reasons I straight bow hunt now...so I can get one this big with my Axe
              Attached Files

Comment

Very wise input James, got any info on the guides for him to get in contact with to see if they will let him hang a stand for atleast bow season, that would probably help out a fwe folks on here getting back from Iraq late in the game??

Comment

QUOTE=alec73065;4110394]Me personally I am looking for a trophy , to clarify ,something to hang on the wall . I know a trophy for me is different than other people. I have killed a lot of deer over the years large and small and just to outwit a deer any deer is a major feat most of the time. I enjoy the scouting , setup and helping other people as much or more than actually killing one myself. I was chosen as an assistant guide for John's area this year and am looking forward to all that entails. I have some extremely large deer on camera that never once show themselves after season starts, so I know they are out there. You are putting in the time , have a large family , I say shoot any legal deer that satisfies you. For every small legal buck you shoot , there are 2 out there that will never be shot and die of old age. This is just my opinion of course [/QUOTE]

THANKS

Comment

Originally posted by jbitt4x4 View Post
                    lance...get out in the live fire areas...here's a pic of mine i shot in 89...scored 144 5/8....biggest i ever shot..all the reasons i straight bow hunt now...so i can get one this big with my axe:d
                    beautiful deer. Thanks.

Comment

Very wise input James, got any info on the guides for him to get in contact with to see if they will let him hang a stand for atleast bow season, that would probably help out a fwe folks on here getting back from Iraq late in the game??
                      Spell is the chief guide in 82 East and he knows him...in 89 it's also Spell, Jeff Schofell and Mr Eller...Jerry M. is deployed.

Comment

Holy Crap!!! I just experienced my first ever earthquake!!...felt like I was on a boat, LOL...no damage here at least

Comment

I have felt a few in my life only one has made me nervous

Comment

Originally posted by jbitt4x4 View Post
                            Spell is the chief guide in 82 East and he knows him...in 89 it's also Spell, Jeff Schofell and Mr Eller...Jerry M. is deployed.
                            Jerry is not deploying

Comment

Originally posted by fthoodhoghunter View Post
                              Jerry is not deploying
                              Millard?? Wow, last time I spoke to him he was...good to hear.
                              Last edited by jbitt4x4; 08-23-2011, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Did the grass fires out on fort hood mess up anybodys equipment?

Comment

Working...
                                X