Installing a tool box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing a tool box

I just bought a new truck. Want to buy a low profile tool box. Normally, I would take some 3/8" self tapping screws and attatch the box to the bed. But, this truck has a plastic, corrugated bedliner. Should I screw all the way thru the bedliner or is there a better way to secure the box in the bed?

I installed a DeeZee low profile toolbox in my last truck that had that bed liner with self tapping screws. It was very secure and did not rip the liner. Made a single hole through.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckbro75 View Post
      I installed a DeeZee low profile toolbox in my last truck that had that bed liner with self tapping screws. It was very secure and did not rip the liner. Made a single hole through.
      The plastic, corrugated bedliner? Not a spray in line, right? What size screws?

Comment

pics of said truck will help with decison[emoji51] J/K...

My relative used silicone like glue so that he could remove at a later date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BmacBmac1 View Post
          pics of said truck will help with decison[emoji51] J/K...

My relative used silicone like glue so that he could remove at a later date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Dadgummit. U gonna make me get up and go take pix!

Comment

I used this and no holes to drill: https://www.autozone.com/truck-boxes...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Comment

I’ve always just Jhooks to go under the bed rails.

Comment

Yes on the J hooks! Don't drill into your new truck!

Comment

How do I hooks work on a tool box that sits in the bed and not on the bed rails?

Comment

I had 5/16 self tappers, 2 on both end of my box, at Home Depot came out tailgate gone and tool box, bolted next one and tail gate locks

Comment

I got these to use on my weather guard but it came with mounting hardware so I took it back, but the guy at the store said these work like a champ.

Shop Better Built Grip-Rite Mounting Kit - Non-Toyota Trucks - Easy Install - Black - No-Drill System for Truck Tool Boxes in the Truck Tool Box & Cargo Accessories department at Lowe's.com. Don't drill holes in your truck. Use grip rite® truck box mounting system to install your tool box without damaging your truck bed.

Comment

I have used the J hooks on my last three trucks and tool boxes with no issues. I use two on each side to help keep it from shifting. They are easy to install and no need to drill holes on your truck. However, you will have to drill holes in the toolbox. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by skeeter View Post
                          How do I hooks work on a tool box that sits in the bed and not on the bed rails?
                          You don't. But you mentioned low-profile tool box, which normally sits on the bed rails. For an in-bed box, I don't see much choice but to bolt it straight down.

Comment

If you wanted to do it “right” I would drill thru the bed, get someone to stick some carriage bolts threw and bolt it down.. self tapers will work but eventually will come loose imo..

Comment

This is what I have. Super easy and no damage to the truck.

Comment

Working...
                              X