Couple questions for the taxis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couple questions for the taxis

I took these horns off a shoulder mount that I had in a storage unit. The antlers got chewed on a little by rats. What is the best way to repair them?
    Attached Files

2nd question: Do any of you taxis recognize this panel on the right? I thought I had found the exact one online and ordered a plycore style E panel. The one on the left is what showed up. Its similar but not the same. As you can see there are no identifying markings on the back.
    Attached Files

Comment

two part epoxy putty to fill, stain to match color.

Comment

I'm not taxidermist but I use a 2 part epoxy called epoxysculpt that works well. Blending the color is the hard part, you can use stain or paint but the key is the get the epoxy close to the same color as the antlers before you start to blend it in. I still have not mastered it but I'm getting better at it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Is the epoxy easy to use? Is it sticky or runny? Does it come with any stain or do you use the stain you're going to coat the antler with? Would it be worth it to let a taxi do it?

Comment

Originally posted by TXbowman View Post
            Is the epoxy easy to use? Is it sticky or runny? Does it come with any stain or do you use the stain you're going to coat the antler with? Would it be worth it to let a taxi do it?
            It's called ApoxieSculpt. It's like really stiff peanutbutter...sort-of. Using it to fix those little chew marks is the easy part. Painting it is the hard part. No stain. Find a taxidermist who is good at repairs. Getting it to match the original antler can be TOUGH.

Comment

Chance, can you ballpark what a repair like this runs?

Comment

IMHO, getting the repair to match the antler color will be difficult. Epoxy does not absorb stain well if at all. There are plastic wood repair materials that might be better. Home Depot sells for wood rot repair- easy to work with. How to texture to match? And then stain to match?

Maybe easier to find a stain pencil for scratches and just touch up the marks. Or pay a professional!

Let’s see what you come up with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just to be clear, we would use APOXIE Sculpt, not Epoxie. Big, big difference.

Originally posted by TXbowman View Post
                  Chance, can you ballpark what a repair like this runs?
                  Shop rate is $65/hr. Those little chew marks might take 15-20 minutes to repair. But the paint job could take 10 minutes or 2 hours. Just never really know until you get into it. For stuff like that I’ll usually provide a range of prices with a cap.

Comment

And the identifying mark on the right is Chase maybe Dan Chase Taxidermy Supply out of Louisiana who is out of business

Comment

The Chase is me. That's my name

Comment

Working...
                      X