No announcement yet.

Positive random thought of the day: Gimme a suicide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We got snowcones when we won instead of drinks. Grape was my favorite. But good ol' Fun Dip was a favorite candy too.

Chick-o-stick, Big Hunk, Now or Laters….. I kept the dentist busy back then filling all the cavities.

Comment

Ha! I hadn't thought about that in years. I have no idea when/where it started but it has been around a long time. After I threw my afternoon paper route (circa 1970) I would gather with several other paperboys at the Git n' Go (local convenience store) My go-to was a big Slim Jim and "a suicide". I don't remember it tasting very good but we thought it was cool for some reason that only made sense to the adolescent brain.

Comment

Found these. See the comments...

So I was at a state tournament when I got a call that my mom had given birth to my little brother. This is the day I got back from the tournament.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bball1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	24613487

Name:	bball2.jpg
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	24613488

Name:	bball3.jpg
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	24613489

So in this pic, I'm back row, far right. The red headed kid in the front row just to the right of the sign is Shawn Larue...older brother of Jason Larue (pro catcher for the reds and and other teams). The kid two people to the left of me is Chuck Lyons...his little brother is a TBH'er (can't remember the username).

Name:	bball4.jpg
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	24613490

Asst. Coach at top left played minor league ball. Can't remember his name...something McDonald. I'm front row, far left. @curtintex You may recognize Jimmy Elrod and some others.

Name:	bball5.jpg
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	24613491

Some of ya'll may recognize the little kid on the far left and his monster East Tx buck...I'm standing to the right of him.

Name:	bball6.jpg
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	24613492

Last edited by Chew; 04-06-2020, 01:27 PM.

Comment

We drank suicides back in the 60's in S. Dallas. I didn't play baseball, but after our Pop Warner football games, all we got was a handful of salt tablets.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
            We got snowcones when we won instead of drinks. Grape was my favorite. But good ol' Fun Dip was a favorite candy too.

Chick-o-stick, Big Hunk, Now or Laters….. I kept the dentist busy back then filling all the cavities.
            I remember those big pieces of gum for 3-5 cents.

Comment

Late 70's - 80's? Y'all a bunch of younguns.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                Big Hunk, Now or Laters….. I kept the dentist busy back then filling all the cavities.

And if they didn't cause the cavities they could dang sure pull off the fillings or caps and add to the dentist's workload..

Comment

I lost some dental work thanks to a Now & Later on my way to church camp one summer (Latham Springs near Waco).

Comment

My kids still do that when they have access to a fountain machine or slurpee!

Comment

My youngest(11 years old)still makes a suicide everywhere we go that you make your own drinks. He takes about 2 drinks then goes and pours it out and gets Dr. Pepper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                        I lost some dental work thanks to a Now & Later on my way to church camp one summer (Latham Springs near Waco).
                        I lost a cap back in the day due to a jolly rancher.

We also got snow cones for winning and foul balls. I remember going to dairy queen after winning as well. Cleveland little league mid to late 80's.

Comment

We use to get them at the Lynn picture show in Gonzales in the late 60's They were awful

Comment

In the late 60s and early 70s we had a snow cone truck. I worked from 10-9 six days a week all summer. Made many a suicide snow cone all over the Fort Worth area. They were also called rainbow snow cones. Small was .10 and a large was .25. I can't stand snow cones even now. Too much of a good thing will ruin it.

Comment

We drank suicides all the time in the 80s.
                              I thought they tasted good. Does it matter what color your sugar is?

Comment

Heck yeah! I used to like a suicide!

Comment

Working...
                                X