Rio Bravo Hunting (Wimberley area)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rio Bravo Hunting (Wimberley area)

I believe the place is called 'Lone Woman Mountain Ranch' which sits between Wimberley and Dripping Springs right off of Ranch Road 12. It is run by Rio Bravo Hunting Outfitters and I guy named Ken Gould. Is anyone familair with this ranch? If so, how is the hunting on it? I'm thinking about taking my two boys up that way since we have always wanted to hunt in the Wimberley area. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Here a link to the place.

Do a search. I would pass.

Comment

I booked a day hunt with them before reading the reviews on here and decided to cancel. Lost the deposit for a day hog hunt but it was probably for the better.

Comment

Just read the thread. I see a lot of people saying that he is a scam artist but I didn't see anyone give the reasons behind it? I actually stayed at this ranch two weeks ago and hung out with Ken. Super nice fella is what I got out of it. My family and I did an arrowhead dig and had a heck of a lot of fun. Ken was a great host and invited my youngest son to come back for a spike hunt for darn near nothing. I just wanted to see how the hunting was out there. We didn't have time to sit in a blind to see what was coming out.

Comment

Ken Gould Wimberly

I've hunted with Ken a few years back (turkey hunt) and everything he said he'd do was done and then some. For those who are talking negative about him..don't offer any explantation as to why they had bad experience(make you wonder). What were their expectation from Ken???? I have no problem hunting with him again. Remember it is hunting and not killing, so if those who are bad nouthing him went and expected a killing then....it wasn't hunting and they got mad because they did not KILL anything. See my picture of a big turkey-other I went with also scored on a turkeyClick image for larger version

Name:	Wimberly Texas bird.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	23860350

Click image for larger version

Name:	Big Tom 32lb heavy wimberly Texas.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	23860351

Comment

Thanks for the feed back Bowhntr. Looks like y'all had a great time. Did he take y'all up on Lone Woman Mountain? You talk about one heck of a view! I won't deny that Ken is a heck of a story teller but in my eyes it's harmless. He was spinning yarns mostly to entertain my boys. I have no problem what so ever going back again just to chill but I was hoping for some feed back to see if anyone has been on a whitetail hunt out there. I did see a really solid 8 pt. off the back porch one morning who was cruising through looking for a doe.

Comment

One bump before it dies.

So know one has hunted whitetail out at this place?

Comment

Just saw this. Not verified.

Comment

Originally posted by 308 Dave View Post
                  Sounds par for the coarse

Comment

Originally posted by 308 Dave View Post
                    Not surprising.

Comment

I would pass went on a Spike/Doe hunt yesterday and he didn't have enough stands for all the hunters. Most were tripods so if your sons are young then they probably won't be able to hunt them. One stand is dangerous as a 20year old man fell from it getting out and cracked his gun stock and that evening a 16 year old boy fell out of it getting out of it and either has a bad ackle sprain or broken ankle out of eleven hunters now one got a doe that I know of although to got shots one being me at one 300 yards away and I misjudged it and shot with my 250 yrds crosshair. To be fair though the wind was blowing over 30 MPH all day and it was full moon. Several people did see Turkey. This was at a ranch he has about 2 miles out of San Marcos. I will not be hunting with him again. Oh by the way the posts by the guy from Cabela's could be Ken's son as he works there.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                        Just read the thread. I see a lot of people saying that he is a scam artist but I didn't see anyone give the reasons behind it? I actually stayed at this ranch two weeks ago and hung out with Ken. Super nice fella is what I got out of it. My family and I did an arrowhead dig and had a heck of a lot of fun. Ken was a great host and invited my youngest son to come back for a spike hunt for darn near nothing. I just wanted to see how the hunting was out there. We didn't have time to sit in a blind to see what was coming out.
                        Man...there are several threads missing on Ken. In one I give a very long explination of why I think he is a con, including all of the lies he told myself and a group of fellow hunters. I am amazed to see that only two threads come up when you do a search because the guy has been talked about several times on this site.

Comment

Well I guess my write up on the trip got lost in the crash because I can't locate it. The hunt was the Spring of 2005 or 2006. Ken flat out lied to us about the ranch. He told me a story about the neighbors taking down the high fence and there being hundreds of free range exotics that the landowner wanted to get rid of to help the deer population. He lead us to believe he was only the ranch foreman and was only running hunts for a limited time to get populations under control. Later we learned that the guy was in fact full time guide and outfitter who constantly runs hunts on that ranch. There were three of us in my group. It was a two day Turkey/Hog/Exotic Hunt. None of us were happy with the trip. I think I might of seen a couple of hogs right before dark. Ken made sure we didn't get to talk with any of the other hunters until the end of the day, but I know for a fact noone else connected. Not seeing animals is one thing. Getting flat out lied to and told some BS story is another. Oh ya and it's Kudu...not "KooDoo" Ken.

Comment

Ken also gave me the same story about a high fence coming down and having hundreds of exotics on the ranch he wanted to get rid of to help the deer population. I saw one turkey. Given what I have seen on this site, craigslist and other hunting sites there is an overwhelming amount of people who feel the same way about him. There are couple of people who give him glowing reviews though and the most recent that I found is on craigslist. But I wonder about the source of these posts.

Comment

Working...
                            X