John Johnson bowhunting ranch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John Johnson bowhunting ranch?

Does anyone know about this ranch? Is it worth spending the money for 2.5 days? Thanks guys

Never heard of it.

Comment

I have been hunting there for the last 5 or 6 years. We have always hunted the 10 man pasture. We will not get to go this year due to lack of participation, we only had four hunters this year. There are lots of small deer but dont count on killing a nice one. Some of the guys in the group always manage two kill a couple everytime and some dont. You sure cant beat the price.

Comment

Originally posted by reddogdan View Post
        I have been hunting there for the last 5 or 6 years. We have always hunted the 10 man pasture. We will not get to go this year due to lack of participation, we only had four hunters this year. There are lots of small deer but dont count on killing a nice one. Some of the guys in the group always manage two kill a couple everytime and some dont. You sure cant beat the price.
        Im not sure what you paid but my cousin told me 220 or 240 for 2.5 days. They have been hunting there for a while now too just wanted other thoughts as well as his and my uncles. They asked me because they couldnt find enough people either but I think Im the last person. He said you have to draw about ten minutes before the deer show up because they see you everytime because the stands have not been moved in years.

Comment

His prices went up to 250.00 this year. And yes, anything more than a year old know you are there, so you only see young deer. But, if you have nothing else, 250 isn't bad for 2.5 days of hunting with a place to sleep.

Comment

Does he have a website?

Comment

If it's the same Johnson ranch we've been to I would stay away. In the mornings, the deer eat all of your corn while you're sitting in the dark and are gone by daylight. One hunter had them eating while he was climbing the ladder. The stands have been in the same spot for so long that the trees are growing around them. In the evening, I watched a deer coming down the road through the trees and it stopped right before the shooting lane and looked straight up where I'm sitting just lime it knows someone is there and turned and walked away. We set up ground blinds, tripods, everything and nothing worked.

Comment

That would be the same Johnson Ranch. Our problem has always been that we went 4th weekend of the season. By then, there have been several groups of hunters already thru and shown all the deer where the stands are. I have heard stories that 15 years ago the deer would come in 20 at a time and mill around in the corn under you. It does not produce like it did 6 years ago.

Comment

well thanks guys. I believe that it will be close to the beginning of season. Im probably gonna go for the fun of getting away from home for a few days in hopes of maybe killing a deer but if I dont kill one it will be fine with me. My dad runs a cattle ranch and it has about 5000 acres Ill kill one there. Ive killed 2 8pts and a couple other deer in the past few years but i dont hunt it hard.

Comment

Is this the Johnson Ranch in Castell just outside of Llano?

Comment

Originally posted by reddogdan View Post
                      That would be the same Johnson Ranch. Our problem has always been that we went 4th weekend of the season. By then, there have been several groups of hunters already thru and shown all the deer where the stands are. I have heard stories that 15 years ago the deer would come in 20 at a time and mill around in the corn under you. It does not produce like it did 6 years ago.
                      We went opening weekend about 5 year ago and the deer did what I said in my previous post. If you just want to get away like you mentioned in your next post that's what you'll do but don't go with high expectations of getting an animal. Sorry to rant but just speaking the truth.

Comment

Its cool guys. I never been there so just wonderin what to expect. I know they have killed deer every year they went. Im just trying new places. Luckily I have back ups most people dont. Thanks anyways guys.

Comment

My cousin killed a big 7pt last season there. He just got the mount back a few weeks ago

Comment

Holler back with results. We couldn't get enough hunters this year so we wont be going this year. So, our weekend is open.

Comment

I've hunted there for the last 6 years but wasn't able to go last year. We have a group of 12 and are going the last weekend of Oct. We always see a bunch of deer but it is hard to get drawed on one. There are good bucks on the place bc we get them on camera at night. The best thing to do is wait and put out your corn after right before sunrise or you will hear them munchin on your corn before daylight. It's a fun, cheap, and easy mans hunting. You gotta be still and make sure your bow doesn't make any noise when you draw or you will be out of luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X