Maven Optics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maven Optics?

Hey guys, anybody have experience with Maven Optics? They sure talk a good game and what few reviews I can find, they sound like they're really amazing for the price. Seems like the guys from Rokslide are about ther only ones reviewing them though.

I've got a buddy looking for a lighter weight FFP optic to go on a lightweight hunting rifle for Utah muleys, and the Maven RS.1 is about the lightest I can find in a FFP configuration with enough magnification (2.5-15) for what he wants to do. It's not really light at 24oz, but FFP scopes seem to all be 28-32oz with few exceptions, and he's adamant on keeping weight as low as possible. The rifle should come in under 6lbs, or right at it before optics. He's got about $1000 budget, give or take a bit, but he's going to be buying 2 scopes very soon and the other scope can afford to be a bit heavier, so I'm thinking a $700ish scope for number 2 and use the money saved to get him up to the $1200 pricetag of the Maven. Anybody have any other suggestions? Key features he's adamant about, and I agree with him, are FFP, lightweight, good reticle, reliable/durable/great warranty. He needs a low end magnification to allow short range quick shots, but high enough magnification to be able to reach out and use the abilities of the 6.5PRC, which in his hands should be 500-600 yards on game.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I have a pair of maven binoculars that I love. Very close to Swarovski light gathering at a fraction the price. I don’t have any experience with the Maven scopes but would not hesitate buying one based on my past experience

Comment

I have this scope and really like it
      4.5-15x50 LRP FFP ... $784 as you can probably find it cheaper
      https://vitalarms.com/leupold-172337...ack-matte-tmr/
      [IMG]https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-xbvg1yz87b/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/4489/4718/iipsrv__24365.1547430334.jpg?c=2&imbypass=on&imbyp ***=on[/IMG]

Comment

I like my Maven binocs. They're not magical by any means. But they're well made. Honestly if I was getting a scope I'd by a Leupold. The lifetime warranty only means something if there's a company around to back it up 20 years from now.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
          I like my Maven binocs. They're not magical by any means. But they're well made. Honestly if I was getting a scope I'd by a Leupold. The lifetime warranty only means something if there's a company around to back it up 20 years from now.
          Yes, after all the reviews I've seen, that's the only holdup..... where will they be in 20 years? Of course, people said the same thing about Vortex, and they aren't going anywhere.

I feel like Leupold makes a great optics, but the feature set compared to price point is a little behind. I know for a fact that I don't like the VX3i lineup and my buddy who this scope is for feels the same way. He has a VX3i that he paid a lot of money for only to look through several of my scopes and be amazed at the clarity, eye relief, eye box, etc. I do have a VX5HD that is much better, but not FFP. I do like the turret lock on it.

Comment

What about a swaro z3? $800 and weighs half as much.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
              What about a swaro z3? $800 and weighs half as much.
              Excellent scopes, but he really wants FFP. Can't say I've ever seen a FFP Swaro. I may try to steer him to a SFP scope for this lightweight build. You're only going to use hold over reticles on max power anyway.

Comment

If he is going super lightweight is this a purpose built hunting rifle and what is the expected range of shots? The only drawback to FFP on a hunting rig is at the lower magnification the reticle can be so fine it is hard to pick up against trees/branches/bushes etc.

I've settled on the Leupold TMOA as my preferred hunting reticle in SFP scopes (VX5/6HDs).

I have one Swaro- incredible glass, super light and its on a purposefully light gun that will be used 500 yards and under.

Comment

Originally posted by duckhunter175 View Post
                  If he is going super lightweight is this a purpose built hunting rifle and what is the expected range of shots? The only drawback to FFP on a hunting rig is at the lower magnification the reticle can be so fine it is hard to pick up against trees/branches/bushes etc.

I've settled on the Leupold TMOA as my preferred hunting reticle in SFP scopes (VX5/6HDs).

I have one Swaro- incredible glass, super light and its on a purposefully light gun that will be used 500 yards and under.
                  Yes, he got drawn for a mule deer buck tag in Utah this year. It'll be a carbon fiber stock, Proof carbon fiber barrel, short action..... trying to shave weight as much as possible without getting stupid expensive and buying a titanium action. I've never hunted muleys, but fron what I've seen, shots might range from 25 yards to 500 yards. He's capable of the long shot, I've witnessed him take whitetail at 400, but of course, if he can get closer, he will. He's coming to town next weekend, so I'm going to put him behind as many nice scopes as we can come up with and see where we wind up.

Comment

Don’t know about Maven scopes but the binos are top notch. I second the Z3. I have the 4x12 BT on a full custom 3006 and shot a buck at 483 yards with it 2 years ago.

Comment

I think that a Swaro Z5 3.5-18x with their 4w reticle and Ballistic Turret is a great option and they can be found in the $1k range.

My next choice and about 5oz heavier would be a VX6HD 3-18x44 ill TMOA just over $1k (or a used non-HD if the price is right).

Anything else and you are significantly heavier... or $

Comment

Working...
                      X