S.E. Iowa Micro Food Plots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TreeDaddy View Post
    I tried the whole brassica "thing" for 2-3 years and grew outstanding purple top turnips and daikon radish

My family and friends loved the turnips

Deer?..........not so much

bill
    The deer hammer them here in Iowa. They will eat all the tops then dig up and eat the turnips after they freeze. The cool season mix that I planted is actually about 70% cereal grains and clover and 30% brassicas. By the end of September I will also have broadcast 150 lbs of winter rye and 50 lbs of winter wheat.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I added another nice size food plot this week.

We installed a drainage basin or retention pond... whatever you want to call it. I had a creek drainage that was eating it's way across my pasture. We installed 40 feet of 36" HDPE culvert with a 6' riser. We took down several Honey Locust and Willows along the creek. When we created the basin we ended up clearing about an acre. I was going to seed the area for erosion control so I decided I might as well make it a food plot.

I fine graded it, harrowed it, broadcast 3 bushels of organic cereal rye and harrowed it again today. It is supposed to rain Sunday and Monday. It should make a nice food plot.

Click on the link below for a video of the drainage basin/food plot video.

[/url]

Last edited by Arrowsmith; 09-25-2020, 07:33 PM.

Comment

You just stepped up your game a tad.

Rwc

Comment

Originally posted by Rwc View Post
          You just stepped up your game a tad.

Rwc
          I got another addition to the equipment arsenal today.

One of my archery friends up here brought me this beast this morning. It will really help me expand my plots going into next year.

I could not believe the little Kubota could lift it, but it handles it well. It's is an old John Deere disc that was rebuilt many years ago.

My friend said it had been sitting in his pasture for years. He said it might as well be sitting in ours.[emoji38][emoji106]

Comment

Yes sir, that will make short work of your plots. I am very surprised your tractor can handle it also.

Best of luck to you this season.

Rwc

Comment

My food plots are filling in pretty good. Cereal grains and brassica mix.

And getting some results.

Comment

Great update!

Comment

Looking good -

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Looking good! Nice typical buck too!

Comment

Originally posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
                        Looking good! Nice typical buck too!
                        Thanks. The food plots are getting thicker and taller each day. There is still a lot of standing corn, soy beans and clover around so the food plots are not getting grazed down. I pulled the food plot card yesterday and that buck was back on the 7th. It looks like he is making the rounds about once a week. This is about the time last year when he disappeared. I am not planning on shooting him....if I even see him..... I have only had one brief encounter with him one time last year at last light one day.

I think he is 4.5. I think he could be really good at 5.5. There will be other shooters to hunt from late October into early November.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                          Thanks. The food plots are getting thicker and taller each day. There is still a lot of standing corn, soy beans and clover around so the food plots are not getting grazed down. I pulled the food plot card yesterday and that buck was back on the 7th. It looks like he is making the rounds about once a week. This is about the time last year when he disappeared. I am not planning on shooting him....if I even see him..... I have only had one brief encounter with him one time last year at last light one day.

I think he is 4.5. I think he could be really good at 5.5. There will be other shooters to hunt from late October into early November.

Nice! I’m betting once those beans turn brown and the corn is picked, they’ll be hitting your plots harder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                          X