Depthfinder suggestions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depthfinder suggestions...

We were given a boat from TPW this past year to utilize as a Fire Rescue Vessel on our local Corps of Engineers Reservoir. We dropped a ton of money getting it up and running this summer and now need to replace some of the little things. The first item on the list is a depth finder. We basically need a simple unit that will allow us to see the depth of water and possible underwater obstacles.

What do you recommend??

Keep in mind search and rescue often turns to recovery. I would look for one with good clear down and side imaging along with a chart to mark hazards or a waypoint for other help assisting. You will get different answers from different people just like which truck or bow is the best. Try to find several people with various brands on their boats to take you out on the water to see their unit actually working and see what you think is the best image and has the features you need. I understand budget will play a factor in this but if you shop around you may be able to find a used one reasonable. Remember fishermen are like hunters ,there are always those that just has to have the latest greatest new thing that comes along. someone is always wanting to sell there barely used equipment to fund the new.

Comment

Originally posted by doright View Post
      Keep in mind search and rescue often turns to recovery. I would look for one with good clear down and side imaging along with a chart to mark hazards or a waypoint for other help assisting. You will get different answers from different people just like which truck or bow is the best. Try to find several people with various brands on their boats to take you out on the water to see their unit actually working and see what you think is the best image and has the features you need. I understand budget will play a factor in this but if you shop around you may be able to find a used one reasonable. Remember fishermen are like hunters ,there are always those that just has to have the latest greatest new thing that comes along. someone is always wanting to sell there barely used equipment to fund the new.
      Bass Pro I think has the Helix Mega 10 Gen 2 SI on sale for $999. You can recover bodies with this unit or any other quality SI unit sadly...

Comment

For a stand alone unit the Helix will be the best choice especially if you want clear easy to see graphics on downscan or sidescan.

Comment

What is your Budget

Comment

We have a Grant filed to recieve a recovery specific sonar. That unit is well over 10k.... we just need a simple unit to identify water depth and basic underwater obstacles.

Comment

Working...
            X