Ok Gun Guys I have a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok Gun Guys I have a question

In a previous post I was looking for a left hand bolt right hand eject rifle. I think I found what I’m looking for in a Remington 788 in 308. Here is my question, I’m looking to to a build on the action and will a 700 barrel fit the 788. What would a good caliber to swap to without a lot of machine work. Or where I could buy a barrel to do this swap.

Thanks

The .308 was one of two calibers made in the 788 that had the left bolt right eject.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tazhunter0 View Post
        The .308 was one of two calibers made in the 788 that had the left bolt right eject.
        ^ I believe

Comment

I am not sure if the 700 and the 788 use the same thread size for the barrel, you would be best off asking a gunsmith that question. Truthfully you should be able to find a used barrel and have the barrel turned, threaded, then ream it for the caliber you want, as long as the barrel is the same bore size as the caliber you want the gun chambered for. I know some old gun smiths that would take barrels off of a gun, then they would hold onto them, till they needed a barrel with that bore diameter. Then they will turn the barrel shorten in on the chamber end. Then cut the barrel threads and then ream the barrel for the caliber they want the gun chambered for. Then head space the barrel afterwards.

For example if you have a 222 or 223 barrel and want a 22-250, that is easy to do, since the 222 and 223 are smaller diameter cases and shorter than the 22-250. You don't have to take much if any off of the chamber end of the barrel. If the barrel came off of the same type of action, then all you would have to do, is ream the barrel for 22-250, then head space it.
          On the other hand, if you had a 22-250 barrel and wanted to chamber it for 223, you would have to cut quite a bit off of the rear end of the barrel, you would need to take measurements first to figure out how much to take off. Actually on a job like that, you would need to cut the barrel off, around where the shoulder of the chamber or even to where the case neck would be. Then you would have enough material to cut the 223 chamber. Then you would turn the barrel and then cut the barrel threads. Then head space the barrel.

The simple way, is just to order a barrel for the gun, or send it off to one of the barrel companies. They can cut a barrel of your choice, rifling style, rate of twist, barrel length, contour. Then chamber it, thread it and head space it and install the barrel for you, if you choose. Or you can order a barrel blank, have it cut down, threaded, chambered, then head spaced. I think they can also cut them down, chamber and thread the barrel, then, send it to you and you get a gun smith to head space it and install it.
          There are multiple ways it can be done.

Comment

Working...
          X