No announcement yet.

Backstrap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't ruin a backstrap by putting stuff in it. Coat in salt, pepper, olive oil,, cut little slits in the BS and insert garlic, smoke to 120, pan sear on HOT cast iron (NO more than 20 seconds per side), let set for 5-10 minutes, then serve.

I converted my step mom who was anti deer meat two months ago with this same recipe, but on a roast, not backstrap.

Comment

I smoke mine for 10-15 mins then jump it to 300 then 350 maybe 5 mins or so at each... definitely don’t let it get past medium rare... wife and kids love it

Comment

Don't ruin 'em with a bunch of junk stuffed in them. Cut them into 1.5" steaks and bacon wrap. Season with some Uncle Chris's and grill until med rare. Keep it simple.

If you just have to stuff one remember that if you are cooking it to med rare your stuffing isn't going to get cooked. Whatever you put in there needs to already be cooked. If you stuff it full of raw onion, bell pepper and mushrooms when you go to eat it you can't have a 125 degree center and also cook the onion, bell pepper and mushrooms. You need to cook them first.

Comment

What they ^^ all said. Cook it to medium rare and enjoy.

Comment

I’ll report back. i didn’t stuff it. Salt, pepper, and garlic powder was all I seasoned with. Cooked to 125, pulled and rested about 15 minutes. Was great. Wife said this is better than any steak you have ever cooked.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyb_23 View Post
              Forget the veggies and stuff with boudin and cheese
              That's what I do

Comment

Originally posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
                Don't ruin 'em with a bunch of junk stuffed in them. Cut them into 1.5" steaks and bacon wrap. Season with some Uncle Chris's and grill until med rare. Keep it simple.

If you just have to stuff one remember that if you are cooking it to med rare your stuffing isn't going to get cooked. Whatever you put in there needs to already be cooked. If you stuff it full of raw onion, bell pepper and mushrooms when you go to eat it you can't have a 125 degree center and also cook the onion, bell pepper and mushrooms. You need to cook them first.
                This

Comment

Tenderize it like crazy with this https://smile.amazon.com/Needle-Meat...NsaWNrPXRydWU= then DO NOT OVERCOOK.

Comment

Originally posted by Outback View Post
                    Tenderize it like crazy with this https://smile.amazon.com/Needle-Meat...NsaWNrPXRydWU= then DO NOT OVERCOOK.

Not being a smart azz, but is this even necessary for backstrap? Seems like it would change the texture of something already tender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
                      I’ll report back. i didn’t stuff it. Salt, pepper, and garlic powder was all I seasoned with. Cooked to 125, pulled and rested about 15 minutes. Was great. Wife said this is better than any steak you have ever cooked.
                      OP, I think they missed this follow up post. Glad to hear she liked it. Got to love that feeling.

There are a couple other cuts on the rear quarters that are as good, or in my opinion, way better than the BS. They don't have that long ligament the BS has in it, and the same tenderness. I highly recommend cooking those the exact same way. People who say venison is only good when mixed with tallow or pork will be full converts after that.

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
                        Not being a smart azz, but is this even necessary for backstrap? Seems like it would change the texture of something already tender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                        I agree 100%. Most Backstrap I cook can be cut with a butter knife. Tenderizing it will change the texture and make it no bueno.

Comment

Working...
                        X