Magnus Black Hornet vs Buzzcut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been seeing a lot of talk about these heads lately. For all the folks that use them do you recommend one over the other? Serrated vs Regular? Thinking about trying them out this year just want to see what some experiences are with them.

I have some of the buzzcuts and the stingers. I have no experience with the black hornets. The buzzcuts seem to work the sme as the stingers, and they sharpen well using the same method as for the stingers. The thing I dislike about them is that when you sharpen them, you are only sharpening about half the blade because the indented, serrated part never touches the sharpener. That being said (like I stated above), I have not noticed a difference in the effectiveness of either.

Bisch

Comment

In for the responses, as I'm looking at the same heads for this upcoming season.

Comment

^^^^^Same here

Comment

I have been using the buzzcuts for 2 years. Been deadly on pigs & deer

Comment

After watching Skinny and Fishndude use them some in their year long pig hunt competition on TBH a couple years ago, I changed to the regular Black Hornets 125gr as my fixed head. They are a mean looking dude...

Click image for larger version

Name:	00Traverse1.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	24584358

Click image for larger version

Name:	00000blackHornet.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	24584359
            Last edited by Smart; 07-10-2019, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Shot the Black Hornet four blades the past year on hogs using both regular and ser-razor. Good head with fairly large cut. I like the blade thickness, they seem durable and fly pretty well. I found the ser-razors tear more tissue and create slightly more damage than the regulars which makes sense. Regulars seem to out penetrate the ser-razors but only very slightly. Probably wouldn't make a difference on deer or with higher poundage bows. I only shoot 60#. Good price and lifetime warranty along with replaceable blades is a plus.

Comment

Can’t go wrong with either but I would go with serrated, because it cuts more tissue

Comment

I just got some of the Black Hornet Serrated heads in. I haven't killed anything with them yet, but I really like the build and how they fly. I will be trying them out next month in Africa.

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post
                    https://youtu.be/GIOM2WKTUCU

Can’t go wrong with either but I would go with serrated, because it cuts more tissue

This is all well and good to say but what happened to the theory that surgical sharp steel cuts and creates a better bleeding cut and blood trail than tearing style cutting? Seems like the ser razor grabs a little and cuts as it passes through, no?

I can understand RF’s theory on it going through shoulder bone and still having some sharp edges left to keep cutting but it would seem double lung or quartered away where the first heavy bone is after the vitals and hits the opposite shoulder, that’s the straight surgicallly sharp non tearing blade would create a better hemmorhaging cut if you believe in the “surgical cut bleeds better than the tear”.... no?

That is what I was considering when I made the straight edge Hornet decision anyway. I’m sure they both work fine.
                    Last edited by Smart; 07-10-2019, 03:52 PM.

Comment

I use the Black Hornet 100 gr. They are deadly, but more importantly they fly exactly like my 100 gr. practice tips. I switched to them a couple of years ago & love them due to their spot-on accuracy.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                        This is all well and good to say but what happened to the theory that surgical sharp steel cuts and creates a better bleeding cut and blood trail than tearing style cutting? Seems like the ser razor grabs a little and cuts as it passes through, no?

I can understand RF’s theory on it going through shoulder bone and still having some sharp edges left to keep cutting but it would seem double lung or quartered away where the first heavy bone is after the vitals and hits the opposite shoulder, that’s the straight surgicallly sharp non tearing blade would create a better hemmorhaging cut if you believe in the “surgical cut bleeds better than the tear”.... no?

That is what I was considering when I made the straight edge Hornet decision anyway. I’m sure they both work fine.

I agree with you as well. Everyone always says a sharp blade will bleed more, which after cutting myself with broadheads it takes a while for it to stop. But I’m sure both will work just fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I am definitely going to give them a shot. If anyone has pictures of damage or LDPs let's see them!

Comment

I’ll say the Ser Razors are a LITTLE harder to sharpen than the smooth blade because it’s such a short head. But they do damage. This was from a two blade last year that hung up in the spine on a hard quartering shot. Nicked gut, good damage to liver, centered one lung and caught the top of second lung.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just to show angle. Left hand was showing where the “exit” would have been.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X