Really need some input- location of house build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really need some input- location of house build

In yals experience does home location effect hunting big time?

Here’s the skinny, 19 acres, prepping to build and deciding home location. My wife wants it tucked in between these oak trees and brush like so, which i agree would look the best..

My selfish question, is this going to ruin potential hunting but putting it this close to their “sanctuary”?

Part of me thinks we need to move it back off the brush but i really don’t know if it makes a difference..

In yals opinions and experience what are your thoughts on it effecting hunting or animals on the property?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My brother in law built a barndo tuck into the back of his property, so to be off the county road. He has two set ups both good, but one produces pictures of some very nice deer. That set up is maybe 50-60 yards off his porch.

Comment

What city/town is this property in? I think location plays a huge part. Some people live in areas where Deer seem to be more okay with coming up to the house or within 100 yards. In my area, I have 18 acres in northern Collin County, I've found I get the most activity by getting the feeder as far away from the house as possible, and limiting exposure to their "Sanctuary". As the crow flies, my hunting location is 340 yards from the house.
      Attached Files

Comment

I think it would effect your hunting but you have to weigh the good with the bad. You only hunt a couple months out of the year, you have to live there all the time. I’d put the house in a nice spot and go find another place to hunt down the road.

Comment

This is in Milam County. I haven’t seen great deer numbers yet

Comment

Yes, it will affect them. IMO But I'd put the house in the best location

Comment

How many deer do you have in this "sanctuary". Or is it just a area of woods you hope might hold a deer or two?..

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                How many deer do you have in this "sanctuary". Or is it just a area of woods you hope might hold a deer or two?..

Just an area of woods that i feel like will be the area the deer will travel/stay in

Comment

Build on the pretty spot with the highest elevation.

Comment

For what it’s worth the farthest we would put it off the brush is even with those oak trees. So your talking 40 yards difference

Comment

No effect on deer.

My parents did the same thing. The sanctuary moved closer to the house actually, we can watch deer as we walk out to the stand. So now we find the heavy use trails that lean into, and out of that sanctuary. Makes hunting much more fun than hunting over a feeder.

Comment

I don't think it will have much difference on the deer, but think how you will use the property. Normally most people use and enjoy their back yard way more than the front, even in rural settings. I think I would prefer those trees in my backyard for the view and shade they would provide.

Comment

I’m about to build my house in the middle of my favorite hunting spot. It won’t bother squat. Gonna be nice hunting off the front and back porches. I have the shop built and have deer walking through the yard. No other house within half a mile so these aren’t subdivision deer.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                            I’m about to build my house in the middle of my favorite hunting spot. It won’t bother squat. Gonna be nice hunting off the front and back porches. I have the shop built and have deer walking through the yard. No other house within half a mile so these aren’t subdivision deer.
                            this.

Makes it a lot easier to fill the feeders when they are close to the house.

I predict you'll have to fence them out if you want to have any shrubs and flowers around the house.

Comment

Move the location and plant your own trees around the house.

Comment

Working...
                              X