Vintage Car Mechanic ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vintage Car Mechanic ???

I helped my father in law restored a 1966 Ford Mustang before he passed away 3 years ago. I have gone over and started it about every 1-2 months, and drove it a time or two. Here recently, I cannot get it started until I pour a little gas into the carb, and then it will only run until it runs out of the gas. I rebuilt the carb (Autolite 2100 2 barrel), I have checked the fuel filter. It has a mechanical fuel pump, I disconnected the fuel line at carb, and turned over engine, and I have fuel coming out.

Is there anything else I should check? Should I check the fuel pump pressure? Like I said, it runs perfect until it runs out of the gas, I pour in the carb. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Float may be stuck

Comment

I rebuilt the carb, and the float seems to be perfect.

Comment

It's almost always the tank and lines. I know a guy in your area and will PM his info.......

Comment

maybe the gas in the tank/lines has gone bad if you haven't refreshed it in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech38 View Post
            Float may be stuck
            This. Old gas has varnished up the float. Tap the carb with a screwdriver handle. Might unstick it.

Comment

Is the gas line collapsed in between the pump and Carburator? Just had that happen in our Jeep at the lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                This. Old gas has varnished up the float. Tap the carb with a screwdriver handle. Might unstick it.
                Just rebuilt the carb and the float moves freely

Originally posted by matchejm View Post
                Is the gas line collapsed in between the pump and Carburator? Just had that happen in our Jeep at the lease.
                The gas lines are metal lines, and I get gas coming out when I disconnect the hose from the carb and turn over engine

Comment

Sounds like bad gas.

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
                    I rebuilt the carb, and the float seems to be perfect.
                    if you have gas at the carb is gas getting in the carb.
                    May be something stopping up where input line go in carb.
                    does it have a screen where line connects to carb

Comment

If you pour fresh gas in the carb and it runs but will not with the fuel in the tank then it’s probably bad gas.

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
                        Just rebuilt the carb and the float moves freely

The gas lines are metal lines, and I get gas coming out when I disconnect the hose from the carb and turn over engine
                        I think you will find a small section of rubber line somewhere joining the fixed lines (2-3 inches) check for that and make sure it is not worn/cracked etc. To try to isolate the issue, bypass the tank and run temporary gas line from a can. Place your finger on the intake side of pump and turn over engine and see if you have adequate suction. If not, replace pump. There is a protocol for piston placement for pump replacement but I can't recall. Go ethanol free fuel from here on out. my parents had a '66 that they took to Germany, Tripoli, Libya, Korea and places in between.

Comment

Move the throttle linkage while watching to see if the accelerator pump is squirting gas. If it isn't the needle valve is stuck shut and you aren't getting gas into the bowl. When you rebuilt the carb did you install the little spring clip that connects the needle valve to the float?

Has it ran since you rebuilt the carb?

Comment

Are you dribbling gas in the bowl or down the throat? If there's gas in the bowl and the accel pumps give you a good squirt, it's not the carb. If there's fuel being pumped, it's gotta be bad gas. IMO, over a month is way too long between starts, especially with alkygas.

Comment

Check the inline fuel filter, may have some crap in there plugging it up.

Comment

Working...
                              X