Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks everyone for all of the info.

Comment

I've used thermal, digital NV, gen 3 NV, gun mounted lights, feeder mounted lights, and a good scope and the moon.

The most effective and affordable way to hunt hogs IMO is feeder mounted lights. Run the lights year round, the hogs will get use to it quickly. You can buy lights for feeders for $50. I would suggest you run two light setups per feeder, if one fails you have a backup. If they are both running you have more light under the feeder, win win.

Just my $0.02.

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
        Gonehunting68.

Can I get just the case for my 66LRX?
        Yes and here is a link to it.

http://www.sniperhawglights.com/product-p/ghpc.htm

Comment

Originally posted by yotethumper View Post
          I've used thermal, digital NV, gen 3 NV, gun mounted lights, feeder mounted lights, and a good scope and the moon.

The most effective and affordable way to hunt hogs IMO is feeder mounted lights. Run the lights year round, the hogs will get use to it quickly. You can buy lights for feeders for $50. I would suggest you run two light setups per feeder, if one fails you have a backup. If they are both running you have more light under the feeder, win win.

Just my $0.02.
          motion activated feeder lights. solar powered preferred.

Comment

ttt for additional ideas or setups.

Comment

Like some have already said, the solar landscape lights from Walmart work great. Get 2 or 3 and wire them to the bottom (inside) of your coon cage pointing down of course. They come on at dusk and stay on for a long time. Hogs get used to them quick and you can get two or three in a night sometimes with a bow. Big fun and cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by 32drawlength View Post
                Approx $30....this works great. I’ve used & seen the $$$ lights.

You can get this in red or green.

Seriously, it’s 95% of the $150-300 lights which are great too

I second this suggestion. This is the same one that I use and it works great for 150 yards or less.

Comment

I went with Sniper Hog Lights and am VERY impressed. I was shining my red spotlight and picking up stuff about 400 yards away down the street with all the neighborhood street lights on.

Very happy customer. Pigs will be slayed this weekend, and pics will be uploaded shortly thereafter. Thank you!

Comment

get a few good lights on your feeder and be ready at night when they come. I pattern mine with my cameras and then when i'm there I pound them. Kill all you can, they will keep the deer away.

Comment

Re-edit...posting my original question.

Basically, is it ethical/legal to kill hogs using nails glued to a bottle of tannerite?

Found this on TPWD:
                      Feral hogs are unprotected, exotic, non-game animals. Therefore, they may be taken by any means or methods at any time of year. There are no seasons or bag limits, however a hunting license and landowner permission are required to hunt them.
                      Last edited by ctom87; 06-11-2019, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Not 100% certain, but I don't think it's an ethical issue; using tannerite with shrapnel doesn't sound legal to me.

Comment

I realize the attraction of the cheapo eBay lights. I fell for this scheme. After having not one but two weekend hunts ruined by failed flashlights, I bought a Sniper Hog Light from Rob, one of our forum sponsors. Yes, it's more expensive. But having sh1tty gear crap out on you in the field sucks major balls. Some guys will say the FleaBay special works for them. I'm happy to hear that. The cheap stuff really let me down.

Springing a little bit more for the Sniper Hog Lights stuff is totally worth it. The lights are built better, they have more QC, and Rob actually talks to his manufacturers. In my case, I think he special-built a 940nM LED to my specs for no additional charge. This thread reminds me that I need to order an 850nM LED for my 38LRX.

Y'all have fun out there.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                            I realize the attraction of the cheapo eBay lights. I fell for this scheme. After having not one but two weekend hunts ruined by failed flashlights, I bought a Sniper Hog Light from Rob, one of our forum sponsors. Yes, it's more expensive. But having sh1tty gear crap out on you in the field sucks major balls. Some guys will say the FleaBay special works for them. I'm happy to hear that. The cheap stuff really let me down.

Springing a little bit more for the Sniper Hog Lights stuff is totally worth it. The lights are built better, they have more QC, and Rob actually talks to his manufacturers. In my case, I think he special-built a 940nM LED to my specs for no additional charge. This thread reminds me that I need to order an 850nM LED for my 38LRX.

Y'all have fun out there.
                            I have visited the idea of dropping the cash for a Sniper Hog Light. I never could commit to the cost.

Value = Benefit - Cost.

With CheapoDepot lights or Amazon lights the benefit of it working severely outweighs the cost - they can flat out get the job done. If they fail in the field, you don't get a hog. I do not know anyone that actually gets sad if they don't kill a hog. No one(Excluding commercial operations) has ever lost sleep over not being able to kill a hog.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasArchery_27 View Post
                              Not 100% certain, but I don't think it's an ethical issue; using tannerite with shrapnel doesn't sound legal to me.
                              Yeah - I looked into it a bit more. "Feral hogs are unprotected, exotic, non-game animals. Therefore, they may be taken by any means or methods at any time of year. There are no seasons or bag limits, however a hunting license and landowner permission are required to hunt them." Per the TPWD.

information about wild pigs control from Ecology and Management of Wild Pigs. John C. Kinsey, CWB. 2020.

Comment

Thermals and night vision sure are nice, but not required. I did it for years with nothing but a q beam and a mag light. With that said, don’t waste your TIME on those cheap china lights that seem to promise the moon and stars. Spend some decent money on a nice light that won’t fail at the wrong time. Maybe down the road you’ll decide you do it enough to justify the money for a thermal.

Comment

Working...
                                X