No announcement yet.

Teacher Pay raises, Yes or No

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it will keep students from graduating high school with absolutely zero life skills, some barely about to read, and no ability to make it in the real world, then yes.

Comment

Originally posted by TKWeld View Post
      I have no problem with teachers getting a raise but what about the support staff? Custodians, Cafeteria workers, Maintenance workers, etc. They get nothing as usual.
      Not being mean because I had aunts and my Dad work these positions for years...but they do not need a degree. Their jobs are not near as stressful (not even close). Plus around here those are contracted out to companies..at least I know the grounds keepers are and custodians.

Comment

Originally posted by bauce302 View Post
        If you want a job where you get paid accordingly for taking care of humans that are PIA then go be a corrections officer. You are paid to teach, if you dont like it quit. There are other 2.0 GPA students straight out of school lined up to teach our youth.
        And you would want the 2.0 GPA student teaching your children?? Your logic is flawed. The raise will hopefully keep and bring in the right kind of people we want teaching our kids. I know two teachers with masters, one with one in english and one with an MBA. I would much rather have these kind of teachers teaching my kid than the guy with a gender studies degree and a teaching certificate...

Comment

My wife is a Retired Teacher/Librarian.
          The teachers deserve a big Raise

Comment

If you want a job where you get paid accordingly for taking care of humans that are PIA then go be a corrections officer. You are paid to teach, if you dont like it quit. There are other 2.0 GPA students straight out of school lined up to teach our youth.
            What an asinine comment. With such a stupid comment, I would hate to see what your GPA was....

Comment

Teachers do need to make more and for those of you who want to make the "time off" argument most teachers I know put in between 60- 80 hours a week between class time, after school tutoring, preparation at home for the next day etc...( cause lord knows they don't give 'em anytime during the day to do it). Now, how much? I cant really say ( haven't given it that much thought) I work in the schools and know for a fact that I couldn't do their job. I'd rather get spit on, cussed at, disrespected .......hey, that sounds like a typical day for some of my teachers. In any case the money needs to go to the teachers, not the district.

Comment

Let's give everyone a raise no matter profession!! Free money hooray!! AOC style

It's so strange to give all teachers statewide a raise to me. Does the state have something to do with setting teachers pay? Seems like that would be up to the district they work for.

I can definitely see the good teachers needing a raise, they are way underpaid.

Comment

Originally posted by TKWeld View Post
                  I have no problem with teachers getting a raise but what about the support staff? Custodians, Cafeteria workers, Maintenance workers, etc. They get nothing as usual.
                  Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                  Not being mean because I had aunts and my Dad work these positions for years...but they do not need a degree. Their jobs are not near as stressful (not even close). Plus around here those are contracted out to companies..at least I know the grounds keepers are and custodians.
                  My wife retired after 22 years being a lunch lady. She is pretty much crippled now. They are required to lift more weight in the kitchens than we are allowed to here in a machine shop. Those ladies work harder than you think.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                    The legislature is trying to give teachers a pay raise for this coming year, but the bis being presented by the Senate and House are far apart. The Senate wants an across the board $5000 raise for teachers and librarians. The House is proposing less than $2000 across the board with most money going to the districts to dole out as they see fit (most teachers will not see any of that money given to the districts IMHO).

I know some on here will say we do not need a pay raise because of all the time we have off during the year (yea right!), but the pay raises we get from year to year are down right sorry. My pay raise this year was $200 as will next year's raise!!!!!!!!!!

Also, the Legislature is saying the average salary for a Texas school teacher is over $53,000 per year. In this district and we are not all that small, a teacher would have to teach 22 years to reach the $53,000 level, 22 YEARS!

I personally want the across the board $5000 raise and believe we have earned it and I firmly believe that any "extra" money given for raises to a district, we will never see a penny of that. While we get these whopping $200 raises each year on average, some at our Central office enjoyed a $5000 to $20,000 pay raise!

OK my rant is over as I have to get ready for the 16 kids in my unit that ALL have behaviors problems. Suprisingly, I have yet to be bloodied working with these kids YET! A big change from the previous 8 years where I was bloodied multiple times during the year.

Have a great day TBH'ers!
                    TRUTH

Comment

The whole education system needs fixed. There is so much waste. There are great teachers and sorry teachers just like in other workplaces. Pay for performance is a great idea and what we had where I worked but it just turned out the suck ups got the raises and the others workers that didn't go along with all the bs didn't. Figure out an hourly rate and put a time clock at the school and get permission from your administrator to work overtime like a normal business does and see what happens. Teachers knew what the pay was when they made education their major and all insurance provided by your companies are bad since Obama care came along. Just like any other profession if you don't like what your doing or feel like your not bring paid accordly quit and get another job like a high paid police officer or join the military. Kidding about police and military. I am an ex teacher but changed professions. My first job was $9,700 teaching and coaching 3 sports. Thanks to all teachers and count your blessings there is pretty much a teacher job to be had.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                        They will never remove their own king off the chess board. Holding teachers and kids hostage to raise taxes is their #1 game.

Like I posted before they always find money for countless expensive things but never for pay raises.
                        Agreed 100%.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
                          My wife retired after 22 years being a lunch lady. She is pretty much crippled now. They are required to lift more weight in the kitchens than we are allowed to here in a machine shop. Those ladies work harder than you think.
                          FTR I never said they didn't work hard. It is a totally different situation though.

Comment

My wife teaches third grade. I want her to quit and get a job that pays her what she's worth for the hours and efforts she puts in. No way in hell anyone would work this **** hard in the private sector for so little pay and benefits.

Comment

well I'm pretty biased because my wife and I are both teachers/coaches, but I agree we need a raise for all the extra duties, paperwork, and BS we have to put up with now vs 10 years ago...it's gotten ridiculous. And before you say we knew what we were signing up for, some of us DID NOT that got into this a while ago!! Education now is not anywhere close to what it was when we got into it 20 years ago! We're now not only teacher/coach which we planned on, but also a security guard, counselor, father figure to over half of my kids, referee, psychiatrist, doctor, chauffeur, and janitor and just a general mr handyman!! And I do NOT want the districts controlling the money... If the objective is to reward and retain teachers, then that's where it needs to go! We don't need to reward administrators any more than we already do and we don't need more administrative positions added! The teachers are the ones in the trenches everyday with these kids, let's reward them and entice the next generation of good ones into the field. The way it is now, there's NOBODY getting into education and we're struggling to keep schools staffed to offer the things that we need to for the betterment of our kids and future generations!

Comment

This is the stupidest comment in this thread.

I fully support the $5000 across the board raise. My daughter and my daughter in law both teach. One at Round Rock and the other at Georgetown.

Comment

Working...
                                X