Archery stamp/endorsement unfair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
    To get support from non bowhunting legislators the 1st archery stamp was put into place to "cover the state's cost to regulate our new archery only season. This was also a very effective way to count the number of bowhunters in TX as it grew by leaps and bounds. I think this scared the rifle hunters and powers to be. The super combo license came out with the archery stamp included. We lost the ability to, mark our growth, and count the number of bowhunters in the state to have our voices heard to keep a purified archery only season. Them rifle hunters wanted oct and din't give up.

The archery only stamp is required to hunt during the early "archery only" season in oct. You do not need an archery stamp to bowhunt during general season.

There is no Muzzleloader stamp, none is required.
    Thumper has it dead on. Bow hunters have lost legislative power now with the Supercombo license because an archery stamp is no longer an effective way to keep track of the true number of bow hunters.

I predict in a few yr archery season will be a thing of the past. Rifle season will start in Oct and you will still pay for a nonexistent archery tag hidden amongst the other fees.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
      I think this is a reason Texas hasn’t taken up the whole “Constitutional Right to Hunt and Fish” issue. How do you tax a right enumerated in your Constitution?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      The Texas Right to Hunt, Fish and Harvest Amendment, Proposition 6 was on the November 3, 2015 ballot in Texas as a legislatively referred constitutional amendment, where it was approved.[1]

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
        The Texas Right to Hunt, Fish and Harvest Amendment, Proposition 6 was on the November 3, 2015 ballot in Texas as a legislatively referred constitutional amendment, where it was approved.[1]

I stand corrected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
          It's a couple bucks, unfair would be paying school taxes and not having kids in school.
          Now, you could make an argument that the muzzloader folks should also need a stamp.
          This. Haven't had a kid in school for 15 years, but that's the only property tax we pay at this point.
          Some areas you pay for deer stamps. When I hunted in Missouri, it was one buck and one doe but you could buy additional doe tags.

Comment

Historically, we did it to ourselves, for a very good reason. We taxed ourselves as bow hunters so we could have our own season. For all intents and purposes, it is a self imposed tax. We got what we wanted, our own season and a way to pay for licensing, enforcement, etc.

They did try to take it away, not long ago. LSBA and other organizations went to the TPWD and fought it off, barely. It seemed like everyone was willing to vote for taking some of our season for youth and general season. Nolan Ryan was the lone voice of bow hunters, he asked the review board, "If they taxed themselves for their own season why are we even having this discussion?"; or something to that effect.

I agree that the new supercombo muddies the waters in relation to actual numbers, but it also brings in more money for the season. One proposed fix a few years ago was to have this one of the questions at time of purchase, like HIP; do you bow hunt during archery only season would give us good, or better, numbers again. I'm not sure why it was shot down, but it was.

Comment

No extra tax for shotgunners. No extra tax for muzzleloaders.

Extra tax for bowhunters...on public land. Fair? No.

Another funny element. In Williamson County there is no closed season for squirrel. Shotgun is allowed for squirrel at Granger WMA. If there was a closed squirrel season in Williamson County...a bowhunter would not need to wear blaze orange during that time period to hunt. No blaze orange required for shotgunning duck hunters.

Extra tax and extra clothing required.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                Simply put ....To be able to hunt during the special archery season throughout the month of October.

You DO NOT need an archery stamp to deer hunt during general season with a bow....now your fretting can officially end..

This^^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                  No extra tax for shotgunners. No extra tax for muzzleloaders.

Extra tax for bowhunters...on public land. Fair? No.

Another funny element. In Williamson County there is no closed season for squirrel. Shotgun is allowed for squirrel at Granger WMA. If there was a closed squirrel season in Williamson County...a bowhunter would not need to wear blaze orange during that time period to hunt. No blaze orange required for shotgunning duck hunters.

Extra tax and extra clothing required.

You need to do more research..

Shotgunners are taxed extra for migratory birds TWICE (federally as well), upland game birds and WMA public land access.....more so than any others..

Comment

Seven bucks. One month jump on the gun hunters. Don't see a problem.

Comment

So we spend $1000 on a bow, $100 on a sight, $75 on a stabilizer, $100 on a quiver, $30+ per arrow and broadheads, camo, feeder, corn, protein, blind/stand, lease, cameras, ATV, taxi fees, fuel to get there and then squawk about $7 for the archery endorsement?

Just SMH.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                        So we spend $1000 on a bow, $100 on a sight, $75 on a stabilizer, $100 on a quiver, $30+ per arrow and broadheads, camo, feeder, corn, protein, blind/stand, lease, cameras, ATV, taxi fees, fuel to get there and then squawk about $7 for the archery endorsement?

Just SMH.

LMAO!! Nail it.... Fretters gonna fret....

Comment

I did not know an archery stamp wasn’t required to hunt with a bow during the general season. Thanks for the info!

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post

Just SMH.
                            This 1000000000X

Complaining about a tiny fee that supports our ability to hunt at all is ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
                              Nolan Ryan was the lone voice of bow hunters, he asked the review board, "If they taxed themselves for their own season why are we even having this discussion?"; or something to that effect.
                              That is interesting, I never heard that...
                              Originally posted by Rat View Post
                              One proposed fix a few years ago was to have this one of the questions at time of purchase, like HIP; do you bow hunt during archery only season would give us good, or better, numbers again. I'm not sure why it was shot down, but it was.
                              Interesting also, that need to be brought back!

Comment

Just get the lifetime license then your done with all the state stamps.

Comment

Working...
                                X