Supplmental roof claim question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supplmental roof claim question.

Short background - needed roof and gutters replaced due to hail damage. Insurance was not covering everything they should so I fought it. Hired an independent appraiser and eventually had an umpire settle it. I ended up winning. Fast forward to the roof replacement - they found that there was a roof under my exiting roof that needed to be removed. The roofer said at the time that the insurance co. will have to pay for the removal by law (he went into a long story about it). We filied a supplement claim to cover the extra removal and the adjuster denied it because it went to appraisal and he said thats final. I received no documentation stating this.

Has anybody ever gone through this, if so what was the outcome.
    Am I ultimately responsible if the insurance co. does not pay?
    I'm open to any suggestions. The supplemental claim was for $1100.

Was the leak leaking or just cosmetic. Normally ins won't pay if it's just cosmetic.

Comment

if it went to arbitration I've heard that is the final answer. but not 100% sure on that maybe the experts will chime in.

Comment

How much more did you get when you went to arbitration? If you got more than $1,100 you are still ahead. Arbitration is final. You will have to pay the part not covered in the settlement.

Comment

What you get in appraisal is final, win or lose. That's the risk unfortunately.

Comment

PA should have caught the multiple layers.
            Was your roofer in on the appraisal process?
            Are you paying your deductible?
            How many squares is your roof?
            Sorry for twenty questions but I’ve been roofing for 20 years.

Comment

1. Don’t ask a roofer for legal advice, nor accept it from them if offered.

2. An appraisal under an insurance policy is not the same as an arbitration nor a mediation.

3. It’s a crying shame that no less than 4 supposedly qualified people looked at your roof and not one of them noticed the two layers (first adjuster, roofer, and two appraisers

4. Without going into too much detail here, yes....the award letter can be modified to include damages not included originally. You’ll get different opinions on this, but insurance companies make decisions all the time based on coverage amounts or endorsements that change or modify the award amounts.

5. If you have an endorsement for code compliance or upgrades, the argument can be successfully made that removing the second layer of roofing is required as a code compliance line item which would not always have been included in the original appraisal.

6. Everyone has a boss. Stop taking to someone that is being diffficult and move up the chain.

What carrier is it?
              Last edited by Atfulldraw; 11-28-2018, 04:27 AM.

Comment

The carrier is Travelers.

Comment

Originally posted by ktex View Post
                  The carrier is Travelers.
                  They are likely to continue being difficult....

File a complaint with DOI, call your appraiser you hired, explain to your roofer that he should have caught it and you will pay half of his actual cost of removing the second layer of shingles as a compromise, or file suit in small claims court against travelers for the difference.

Or suck it up and pay it out of pocket.

Invoking appraisal doesn’t preclude filing suit against them for unfair claims practices or for any additional damages.

Comment

So, if I understand correctly.
                    The new roof is done?
                    You are happy with the work and the roofer has been paid the agreed upon amount?
                    But the roofer wants an extra $1100?

Comment

Man that's good news Atfulldraw. Learning from ya today.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesus is Coming View Post
                        Man that's good news Atfulldraw. Learning from ya today.
                        Yessir...it’s rare, but it happens.

Just imagine a scenario where the award letter is signed but the carrier won’t pay a dime.

There has to still be a method for enforcement of the contract.

Comment

Insurance companies suck.... ALL FIELDS

Comment

Originally posted by MacDaddy67 View Post
                            Insurance companies suck.... ALL FIELDS
                            Not entirely true....most people aren’t willing to pay what it actually costs to have really good coverage.

If you haven’t yet encountered exceptional claim service, it’s mainly a function of how much you pay in premiums.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                              Not entirely true....most people aren’t willing to pay what it actually costs to have really good coverage.

If you haven’t yet encountered exceptional claim service, it’s mainly a function of how much you pay in premiums.
                              Not derailing the OPs thread but who’s the best out there? My experience has been limited to Liberty Mutual & Central. Ive been pleased with Central so far

Comment

Working...
                              X