No announcement yet.

No brow tines and antler development / highest score

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The pics posted on this thread have nothing to do with what the OP is asking.

Comment

Never understood the reaction to short brows or no brows. Seems like a reason used a lot to proclaim a middle age buck is a cull.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornfan View Post
        Never understood the reaction to short brows or no brows. Seems like a reason used a lot to proclaim a middle age buck is a cull.
        The reaction is because some, like myself, consider it to be a very undesirable trait, but not all hunters do..
        It is a genetic trait that spreads surprisingly rapid if left unchecked.. Been there, seen it..

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
          The reaction is because some, like myself, consider it to be a very undesirable trait, but not all hunters do..
          It is a genetic trait that spreads surprisingly rapid if left unchecked.. Been there, seen it..
          That’s interesting. Never heard of a genetic trait spreading fast. Tell us more about your experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornfan View Post
            That’s interesting. Never heard of a genetic trait spreading fast. Tell us more about your experience.

Really?? There goes the genetically superior breeder buck concept..

Back to my experience.
            When a so called "lease boss" decides that no brow tine bucks are not culls bucks, but instead are trophies, guess what happens?? No one wants to shoot them as a trophy so they don't get shot....
            Now guess what happens after 5 years of that nonsense??? It ain't rocket science..

Comment

Originally posted by DimmitCo View Post
              Asked another way, is anyone aware of 2+ year old deer that were slick to the G2 and later developed a 140-150+ rack?
              No and if it happens it is far from the norm.. Very few bucks without brows will ever hit 140"-150" either due to their poor genetics.. That is a very unique buck if you have one like that ..
              Last edited by PondPopper; 12-22-2019, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JBJTX81 View Post
                I think many folks on here would debate you about culling out genetic traits. Very difficult thing to do. Most research supports the doe mother being roughly 60% responsible for an offspring buck's antlers. How do you know which doe carry that gene? If you don't want to support the mouth of a deer with now brows and leave more resources for the other deer with brows then wack em. If you want more targets regardless of brows or no brows keep them.
                So you’re saying by killing the buck there’s a 40% chance at removing the trait.

Pretty good odds!

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                  So you’re saying by killing the buck there’s a 40% chance at removing the trait.

Pretty good odds!
                  Now all of the sudden only "good" genetic traits matter.. They are the only traits that can be passed on...

**** after all these years too.. I give!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                    The pics posted on this thread have nothing to do with what the OP is asking.
                    I went overboard with the age progression pics. I misread the original post. Thought he was talking about little or no brow tines. My bad. I was trying to show if deer have small brow tines, they usually stay that way but can have big frames. In the big scheme of things, you would loose about 8” of score on bucks that have no brow tines. But I’ve never seen mature deer lacking brow tines. Not saying it doesn’t happen though. I have seen deer with great brow tines that never grew big scoring racks. 😀
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post

Pretty good odds!
                      You're only taking out the bucks with the traits. What's the buck doe ratio? Say its 1-2. So for every 4 bucks with no brows it's likely there are 8 doe with the capacity to carry that trait on. And those 8 doe have 6 in 10 chance of passing along these gene vs the buck with a 4 in 10 chance. I'm not saying that it's not helpful at all to shoot those bucks with no brows, I'm saying it's like trying to detail your truck with a toothbrush. It can be done its just not real effective. If "culling" out genetic traits is so effective then why do all these hf places still have spikes and mainframe 8's after 20+ years of intense management in a tighly controlled environment?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X