High Fence deer question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High Fence deer question

We have a 300 acre HF in South Louisiana.

How many protein feeders do we need to run to alllow for best antler growth with approx 25 bucks and 50 does? we lose a dozen or so fawn to coyotes every yr...

Also should i try for a 1 to 1 ratio inside a HF? and can i have "to many" deer inside the pen to where it stunts the antler growth even when we keep the protein feeders full. We currently have 6 1000 pound feeders. thank you! Scott

Sounds like you have a good amount of food! Any plots or mass crops? I’ll be following the responses.

Comment

I think your good on feeders. I’m running two 1000lb feeders on 120 acres.

Comment

I would throw 500, bucks in there, and pour em the double down like no tomorrow.
        Go big for the new year!!!

Comment

What does the natural food look like?

Comment

If this is a new high fence, make sure to put protein feeders and a water station at every corner of the fence.

Comment

thx for the answers - they have a ton of water. i wish we had less!
              we plant food plots (15 acres 2x yr) but they eat the heck out of them before they get up! HF is 8 years old. We have very good genetics in there. We used to breed does but stopped because of lack of time to be there every day.
              we let 25 does out of the breeding pen 2 years ago to open breed. they eat food plots down to nothing even with protein feed in every field...
              the neighbor says we have coyotes eating them. is that possible? if so how do yall control them?
              i guess the BIG question is - can i have to many deer in there? does it matter as long as i am feeding the heck out of them?

Comment

natural food is ok. oak trees and blackberries. they eat EVERY acorn that drops.. so do the pigs...

Comment

Yes you can have too many deer and I would get the ratio to 1:1. As far as coyotes, start snaring. Coyotes will destroy a fawn crop. Sounds like you are feeding plenty of protein but you don't want to destroy your native vegetation running too many animals.

Comment

75 deer on 300 acres is a lot of deer. I’m not a professional or anything but have been around many many deer operations. Once you start noticing everything turning to dirt and about 6’ of the brush has no leafs you’re severely ate out.

Comment

Your county or game commission should have a biologist that can do natural browse/food surveys and tell you what they’re lacking, recommended numbers and such.

Comment

I’m nowhere near a biologist but I’d say you may be a little high on overall deer numbers. I’d cut the doe herd down so it’s 1:1.5 buck to doe and keep running food and plots as you are. I bet y’all have some monsters already. LA already has some big bodied deer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

thx for the feedback guys!

Comment

Sounds like a great place. Make war on the yotes and the pigs. Plant bigger plots if possible. Read elgato year in the life of a farm thread. Then read it again.

Comment

I’ve heard 1 deer to 10 acres?

Comment

Working...
                              X