No announcement yet.

Taxidermy as a profession.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You boys have too much money. The price is good for me and the work is acceptable. I cannot justify paying double.

Comment

I'd say the best form of advise for a taxidermist just getting started would be to move to Tennessee.

Comment

Taxidermy as a profession.

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
        The spike is 26 years old

The little 8 is 14 years old

The 6 is 15 years old

The 7 is 25 years old

None of these cost more than $200

I'm shipping two 8s and a spike back next week @ $275/ea

I hope they are paying YOU to hang those!! [emoji12][emoji51]

See the difference....

Last edited by CastAndBlast; 12-17-2019, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Yes, poor public land hunter on the left and wealthy lease hunter on the right.

Don't get me wrong, if I had money flowing out my ears and I shot a once in a lifetime deer like yours, I would go to an artist and pay whatever the cost was. Again, with the quality of deer I call trophies on my wall there is no reason to pay $500+ on mounting. I am happy with what I have.

Carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by Allpublic View Post
            I have been interested in, and thought about being, a taxidermist for years. It is just a hobby for me now, but I have alot of business related questions I was hoping some of you G.S. taxidermist might not mind answering for me.

How many are able to make it your full time job? How many do it on the side or in combination with something else? If so what?

If it is your full time job, how long did it take you to establish the business to a point of income that supports you?

Is it unrealistic to think I could be as busy as I want to be, and even maintain a couple of full time employees?

What percentage of your business is shoulder mounts? birds?, Fish?

What do you make your largest profit margins on? Deer, predators, exotics, birds, or fish?

Thanks in advance to any that don't mind answering. Feel free to pm me if you would rather.
            Pm sent

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
              Yes, poor public land hunter on the left and wealthy lease hunter on the right.

Don't get me wrong, if I had money flowing out my ears and I shot a once in a lifetime deer like yours, I would go to an artist and pay whatever the cost was. Again, with the quality of deer I call trophies on my wall there is no reason to pay $500+ on mounting. I am happy with what I have.

Carry on.
              I don’t think it has anything to do with being rich or poor. When you bring up a half price option that obviously looks half price, don’t be offended when folks say you got what you paid for. If your happy with your taxidermist just say that, but don’t tell others that they are overpaying.

Comment

Originally posted by 2Lazy2P View Post
                I don’t think it has anything to do with being rich or poor. When you bring up a half price option that obviously looks half price, don’t be offended when folks say you got what you paid for. If your happy with your taxidermist just say that, but don’t tell others that they are overpaying.

This.

There is good taxidermy and cheap taxidermy. No such thing as good and cheap taxidermy. Think I would save and get a good mount about every 4/5 yrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Cheap taxidermy in Tennessee is common. I suspect most of them are dry preserved rather than tan. I have one on my wall from the 80s that is a prime example (as are some in this thread).

There are a few good ones, though. The two I know personally are approaching the $600 mark. I just picked one up that I killed last year-but I paid what I would pay for a quality mount here.

I learned my lessons on cheap taxidermy work and wish I would have spent the money for quality mounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                  X