Radiant Barrier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radiant Barrier

Considering installing rolled barrier film to the bottom of the rafters in the attic. I've heard all the claims but who on here has actually done it and are you glad you did? My AC guy says he's not sold on it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I used a product called henery liquid foil. Home depot sells it but does not stock it. If u decide to get it and they give u the run around pm me. I used it on a 12x28 metal roofed cabin. It made a very noticeable difference in temperature. Especially during the summer. It is a product i would recommend and use again.

Comment

It absolutely works

Comment

We used the radiant barrier when we built. So real way of comparing, but seems to make a difference. Our AC bill in a 2600 sq. ft. house is usually less than $200 and I keep it on 72 during the day and 70 at night.

Comment

It works, we installed in my sons house and it made a big difference. We laid it right on top of the ceiling rafters.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeb1206 View Post
            It works, we installed in my sons house and it made a big difference. We laid it right on top of the ceiling rafters.
            You mean the ceiling joists or roof rafters? Over the insulation?

Comment

When Ike came through, I got a new roof out of the deal... I paid for the radiant barrier upgrade. They used TechShield, and it absolutely helps to reduce the heat in the attic and thus cooling bills in the summer.

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
                Considering installing rolled barrier film to the bottom of the rafters in the attic. I've heard all the claims but who on here has actually done it and are you glad you did? My AC guy says he's not sold on it.

Radiant barrier decking / application absolutely makes a difference. All it takes is one trip into an attic with radiant barrier decking, and one without, to realize the difference.
                Last edited by mikemorvan; 10-02-2019, 03:02 PM.

Comment

We had it installed in our house when we live din Mission. It made a difference in our electric bill, not a huge one, but big enough to make it worth the investment.

Comment

I sold radiant barrier for a time, it works. The biggest part (imho), is to look at how the attic is ventilated, you have to have decent airflow for maximum effectiveness. Its been a few years, but I recall 60% intake vs 40% exhaust and the total sq in of vent is based on the size of your home. Home builders will slap a few vents on, but rarely anywhere close to enough. Soffit vents are often much larger than the cutout, and not near enough of them, particularly if you have narrow soffits.

I did a takeoff on a 2 story home, they had 2 powered exhaust fans and minimal soffit vents. I could literally feel the a/c being sucked through every can light in the house, their attic wasn't even that hot lol. We installed additional soffit vents, and disconnected one of the power vents, in addition to radiant barrier. If memory serves, their summer bill was sitting at about 40%, I realize this is an extreme example, and I know there are great home builders out there, but look at the ventilation.

Comment

Perforated soffit is a great idea.

Comment

How does this compare to spray foam??
                        Agree on making sure you have plenty of ventilation.

Comment

I own an insulation company and install it. It absolutely works. I recommend AtticFoil brand. I don't recommend the spray on. If you install it when done, I would add to or replace your attic insulation also.

Comment

I had it put in my last house. Was a 5k sq ft house built in 1998. It was put in with additional soffet vents and it made a huge difference in the temp of the attic and the AC bill. Cell phone coverage suffered as a result but it works.

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
                              You mean the ceiling joists or roof rafters? Over the insulation?

Ceiling joist

Comment

Working...
                              X