new lease???? Canton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new lease???? Canton

I may have found a small one person tract of land to hunt near Canton Tx. 43 acres. looks to be good trees and cover. tracts and signs are not yet seen. no I know I will not shoot a 175 just want a place to see something cross the pasture. hogs, varmints other?

Had access to a place in Ben Wheeler a few years ago. 40 acres that was thick as could be. Had a road cutting through the middle of the place and a few little clearings and a very small pond. Landowner (family friend) didn't want us to clear it at all except for maybe a little spot to set up a feeder and stand. Hunted it for 3 years and only saw one deer the whole time. Camera's showed lots of deer and hog activity at the feeder, just never showed while we were there. And yes, we were mindful of scent control, etc. I firmly believe had we been able to clear it out more, we would have seen deer. But like it was, couldn't see more than 20 yards in any direction.

Place was full of copperheads and water moccasins too.

Comment

thanks. anyone?

Comment

I live near Canton. If can get it for free maybe but 43 acres in that area is to small.

Comment

Originally posted by bryan sandlin View Post
          I may have found a small one person tract of land to hunt near Canton Tx. 43 acres. looks to be good trees and cover. tracts and signs are not yet seen. no I know I will not shoot a 175 just want a place to see something cross the pasture. hogs, varmints other?
          I’d say no if you have to drive from Houston...yes, if you live an hour away.

Comment

I hunt my family’s land in Canton. I’m not joking when I say I haven’t taken a deer off that property in the five years I’ve hunted it. Antler restrictions and a “brown and down” mentality in the area. Killed a few hogs and varmints there. Go west or south if you want deer.

Oh and plenty of copperheads.

Comment

I wouldnt pay and drive from houston for 43 spare azz acres in Canton.

Comment

anybody?

Comment

Sounds pitiful

Comment

Well I live about 9 miles north of Canton. Historically there has not been a ton of deer in this area but it is getting much better. Van Zandt county is known far and wide for poaching. Most of them are probably related to me...LOL. I have a lease in Harper but I do hand corn a couple of places here. We only have 50 acres here at the house. I have a doe or two and fawns everywhere I corn. A few hogs also. If I out out corn on another of out places that backs into mill creek I will have a herd of hogs before I can get back to the truck. Some decent deer in there but there are so many hogs that it make the deer hunting fairly hard. All of out places are surrounded by other family land so they do hunt much larger than what they are. If the 43 acres is surrounded by larger places that are not hunted hard then it might be ok.

-john

Comment

I think I will try it for a couple years. 100.00 is a great deal to get out of Houston

Comment

Working...
                      X