DIY Arrow Building or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many of you guys build your own arrows vs having the pro shop do it for you?

I am a DIY guy through and through on most things when it comes to being handy but i have not made my mind up on arrow building.

The fletching jig seems reasonable and decent investment but how do you guys cut your arrows to length without investing in an expensive archery arrow saw.

Wife needs Christmas ideas and i've been debating this one for a bit, either a dozen new arrows from the shop, or equipment to do it myself?

I do. Buy blank shafts. Have arrow saw and jigs at home. I like to mess with arrow weights, but it all started because I got tired of having to go to the pro shop to fix cut or loose vanes.

I bought an arrow saw off amazon I think. If I remember correctly, it was around $100.

Comment

I build all my arrows, and many of my friends arrows.

The best way is to buy everything you need, it will probably cost you about what a couple dozen good custom arrows cost to get the equipment.

Arrow saw ($100 -$200)
      Squaring device ($40)
      Fletching jig ($50 - $280)
      Scale ($30)
      Spinner ($30 - $90)

Another way is to go in on the equipment with two or three friends, spread the cost out a little bit.

I love building arrows.

Comment

I did my own this year and did notice much greater accuaracy with doing so. There are alot of diy videos that can help you.

Comment

Without an arrow saw I have carefully cut mine with a Dremel and squared up on a squaring jig. I made one that worked with my disc sander but I also have the Lumenok arrow squaring tool I use now since I sold that sander when I moved (shown below). The arrow saw is really the best way to go though. I still square them using the saw. I actually square both the nock and insert ends. I am a little OCD and just prefer to do it that way haha.

Comment

In my compound days I would buy pre-cut shafts and fletch them myself. I didn't buy a saw until 7 years ago when I switched to traditional. Starting with a full length shaft is essential when tuning - a lot of cuts are often necessary before you get it dialed-in. More than anything I just enjoy doing it myself - customizing with different wraps and fletch colors. You don't have to spend a fortune on a saw for home use - the Weston I have works great. You probably wouldnt want to run it all day long in a archery shop but I only cut a few dozen shafts each year - including for friends.
            Last edited by jerp; 12-11-2018, 08:40 AM.

Comment

I set up a high speed die grinder with a cutoff disc in a homemade jig and cut my own shafts.

Comment

Thanks for all of the info. I guess i need to get my head wrapped around the long term investment of $300-400 and being able to do arrows for me, my wife and my three boys as they start to pick up the bow.

My dad always said "he who dies with the most tools, WINS!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan11 View Post
                  How many of you guys build your own arrows vs having the pro shop do it for you?

I am a DIY guy through and through on most things when it comes to being handy but i have not made my mind up on arrow building.

The fletching jig seems reasonable and decent investment but how do you guys cut your arrows to length without investing in an expensive archery arrow saw.

Wife needs Christmas ideas and i've been debating this one for a bit, either a dozen new arrows from the shop, or equipment to do it myself?
                  I build my own, have been for years. I use a Radial saw with a masonry blade. Some guys I know use a Dremel in a vice.

Comment

IMHO -

It is a blast to do - and allows you to tinker with a variety of items. I was curious about 6 fletch...so I made a 6 fletch. I was curious about 4 fletch....so I made 4 fletch. I was curious about feathers vs. vanes with fixed broadheads, 4 inch vs 2 inch, Spiraled/staggered fletchings, weight forward, added angle on the helical, etc...so I did them.

Plus, if you get the gear to do it, you end up with a cold beverage and buddies over to talk through all the above. I have had the setup (arrow saw, multi-fletch and mono-fletch) for several years and feel like they have paid for themselves time and again.

Comb ebay, bargain caves (if they still exist) and other sites to find a deal.

Comment

I do build my own arrows and use an Apple arrow saw to cut to length.

Comment

Where are you located?

Possible that someone near you has a saw

Before I bought my own saw Academy would cut a doz for free. Not sure if they still offer that or not

Comment

I picked up an arrow saw a few years ago and it gets regular use.

Comment

I just make my own jig and cut my arrows with a air pencil grinder with a cutting blade, pretty simple and it's a tool that I use for other applications. I used to use the EZ-Fletcher to fletch but nowadays I use the Quickfletch with the wrap, much easier and quicker. I tend not to over think things and only hunt with only target shooting to get ready to hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                              Where are you located?

Possible that someone near you has a saw

Before I bought my own saw Academy would cut a doz for free. Not sure if they still offer that or not
                              I live in the Round Rock area on the weekends but stay in the Franklin/Robertson County area during the week for work.

Comment

Working...
                              X