Grapevine Hogs/turkeys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grapevine Hogs/turkeys

Well I'm new to public land hunting as well as Bow hunting for hogs so don't fry me first post.

Dad and I got our permits for Vine hunting back in Sept. and we hunted ducks in marshall creek area and didn't do bad for noobs.

I've done quite a bit of exploring on the public lands, we attempted a hunt off schooling road east of 377 north of the walmart and marshall creek rd. No luck didn't really see any signs of deer or hogs but plenty of game trails. Link below to hunting area.

We looked all around the area south of denton creek (went in from marshall creek park) covered a lot of ground an found an area setup for hog hunting but no rooting/scat just lots of tracks and trails. Link below to area.

Then I went over to the west side of 377 (parked off the railroad tracks at the south side of the bridge) Is this a legal place to park?

Went in and found a place with a lot of rooting activity located on the map in the link below. Marked it on my GPS will go back and try it in the next few weeks.

One last thing. I saw a lot of turkeys in this spot during hunting season but never found there roost, and the guy at the gaurd shack here says they are always around this area, if you have any pointers on where to hunt them legally that would be great, I've been all around there and didn't see anything in the legal hunt area so maybe they roost off to the east near T.W. King road. Turkey siting is marked on the map below

I look forward to any insite or tips on hunting this land, as you can see I haven't explored the area west of 377 or east of 35w due to the fact that I can't find anywhere that looks legal to park, I'm asuming you can only park at the designated areas on the grapevine corps map.

-Matt

pm sent

Comment

There's quite a few threads on this subject.Thread search "Grapevine" and enjoy fhe reading.Legal parking is a HUGE question. Stay away from parking off I35. Most of it belongs to Mr.Lee and He has a problem with people parking on his property.If you park off I35 the Local law enforcement will put a bright red, hard to get off sticker on your window.Lots of opportunitys lie off SH 377 both east and west side.You have to be willing to walk in farther than most, but Hawgs can be found. Good Luck!

Comment

Thanks woodbine I did search for grapevine and vine before posting and found a lot of information on Mr. Lee lol I won't even try that.

I hear that there is a lady south side near marshall creek park the Trophy Club police officer Boyd told me her name is Debra she lives just north of the gas wells off marshall creek rd. She charges for parking but it's legal that way and is a way to get onto public land.

this is the exact spot I parked today, and if it's legal I plan on using it to get to my hog spot.

-Matt

Comment

Yes, legal to park there, Matt. In years past, that area would be full of cars with guys walking up Denton Creek fishing for sandbass in the early Spring. Probably won't be the case this year as there's not really enough water in Denton Creek for a long run.

Comment

The fella you met Officer Boyd Raburn, he's a good guy and can tell you just about anything you need to know about that area. He is the animal control guy, when I was checking those wells back there I seen Boyd quite a bit, he has taken a lot of hogs out of that area, and a few coyotes. He takes a lot of wildlife pics out there also, he showed me a albino doe about two years ago.

Comment

Working...
            X