Can someone advise me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone advise me?

I grew up on family ranches, hunting out my back door. My dad was a dentist, so he was able to get us into places through the people he knew. I am somewhat on my own now, and my dad doesn't really hunt much any more. I have lots of places around me where I can kill as many does as I could ever want to, but the quality of bucks is lacking.

I am usually low on money- scratch that, always low on money, due to the fact that everything I make goes back into my business. Are public lands worthwhile at all? If so, how do I go about securing areas to hunt?

If there isn't something suitable for what I am looking for, can someone make a suggestion as to another option I might look into?

i know some people who have had some pretty good success on public land. of course these guys live very close and can hunt more often than the average public land hunter. it all depends on the area of choice as far as the deer population, how long it has been open to hunting and what antler restricitons have been in place, and what kind of hunting pressure.

Comment

Here is the basic deal for public lands hunting. You will need: 1. Hunting license, 2. $48 public lands permit. 3. Orange cap and vest. For deer and turkey you will need to sign up for a particular weekend and location draw hunt and pay a small registration fee & a larger hunt fee if your name is drawn. I find public lands draw hunts for deer and turkey to be too pricy for the low success rate. But for fine eating feral hogs, all you need is the $48 public lands permit and can hunt all you want with a bow. Between Wildlife management ares, some Corps of Engineers land, and national forests, there are lots of opportunities. Course hogs are a tough quarry, (mostly nocturnal, unlike deer which are dinural) but if you can make it out at least 5 times a year, you should bring home the bacon at least once. Talk about cheap entertainment! And by the time you have practised enough with the bow to be effective, your upper back and arms will be nice and toned and the ladies will love you. Welcome to the forum!
      Last edited by NightStalker; 01-08-2009, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NightStalker View Post
        Here is the basic deal for public lands hunting. You will need: 1. Hunting license, 2. $48 public lands permit. 3. Orange cap and vest. For deer and turkey you will need to sign up for a particular weekend and location draw hunt and pay a small registration fee & a larger hunt fee if your name is drawn. I find public lands draw hunts for deer and turkey to be too pricy for the low success rate. But for fine eating feral hogs, all you need is the $48 public lands permit and can hunt all you want with a bow. Between Wildlife management ares, some Corps of Engineers land, and national forests, there are lots of opportunities. Course hogs are a tough quarry, (mostly nocturnal, unlike deer which are dinural) but if you can make it out at least 5 times a year, you should bring home the bacon at least once. Talk about cheap entertainment! And by the time you have practised enough with the bow to be effective, your upper back and arms will be nice and toned and the ladies will love you. Welcome to the forum!
        x2 &good luck with the big buck on public land

Comment

I have a buddy at work that has a wall loaded with bucks killed off the Sam Houston National Forest. He grew up aroung it and knows it very well. He is also not afraid to walk a mile back into it to find a good spot. If he would GPS all the good spots he knows about he could make a ton of money selling them.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ79 View Post
            I have a buddy at work that has a wall loaded with bucks killed off the Sam Houston National Forest. He grew up aroung it and knows it very well. He is also not afraid to walk a mile back into it to find a good spot. If he would GPS all the good spots he knows about he could make a ton of money selling them.
            I read a story in either Field & Stream or Outdoor Life about 20 years ago about a guy who lived somewhere down around Lufkin and only hunted the National Forest down there.EVERY YEAR he always killed a huge rack buck bowhunting.His said his secret was year-round scouting and patterning the particular buck he was after.Usually it was WAY back in the NF and he would camp out 3 or 4 days at a time if nessary. Myself I think the easiest way is to just tag along behind Quickstrike

Comment

This is going to get ugly!! Ding, ding....round one.

Comment

Well, yes, pulling a wall hanger off of public land is tough. But if you are content with freezer filling and the thrill of the hunt, it is fine. Yes, you do need to walk a bit (well, maybe a lot) more.

As has been said before on this forum, public land is not free. You just pay with sweat instead of dollars.

Lonestar seems to have more time than money, thus public lands may be the ticket for him.

Comment

the public hunt drawing is the way to go for better quality of deer. The success my be low, but a chance at a nice buck is always there. Even if you don't get drawn you can stand-by and hope for and open spot. I have don't this type of hunt for the first time this year and loved it. I will be putting in for the draw or showing up for a possible stand-by spot.

Comment

So are all public lands open for deer and is it only by drawing for all?
                    1st timer new to public land hunts too.

Comment

There are several ways to find public land to hunt:
                      The first and foremost way is to use the internet to RESEARCH, READ, and talk to other public land hunters to find out what is available.
                      THE INTERNET IS YOUR FRIEND!
                      The second way is to go to the TWPD website and read EVERYTHING YOU CAN on public land hunting.
                      The third way is to go to the Army Corp of Engineers websites for Texas which govern the man made reservoirs and study them also--- EACH ONE HAS THEIR OWN RULES AND REGULATIONS FOR HUNTING!
                      The fourth way is to use the INTERNET and study about FEDERAL LANDS which include NATIONAL PARKS & FORESTS, ARMY AND NAVY AND AIR FORCE BASES---yes they allow hunting also!
                      the fifth way is to read about LOCAL LAWS that some cities allow hunting within their limits! Yes....some do!!
                      Some large corporations allow hunting on their properties!
                      Their are STATE PARKS and COUNTY PARKS that are not listed in any directories that allow it---but YOU must approach them as they don't advertise it!

But believe me--there's ALOT of public land available--it's HARD HUNTING but well worth it when you do have success.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Miller View Post
                        There are several ways to find public land to hunt:
                        The first and foremost way is to use the internet to RESEARCH, READ, and talk to other public land hunters to find out what is available.
                        THE INTERNET IS YOUR FRIEND!
                        The second way is to go to the TWPD website and read EVERYTHING YOU CAN on public land hunting.
                        The third way is to go to the Army Corp of Engineers websites for Texas which govern the man made reservoirs and study them also--- EACH ONE HAS THEIR OWN RULES AND REGULATIONS FOR HUNTING!
                        The fourth way is to use the INTERNET and study about FEDERAL LANDS which include NATIONAL PARKS & FORESTS, ARMY AND NAVY AND AIR FORCE BASES---yes they allow hunting also!
                        the fifth way is to read about LOCAL LAWS that some cities allow hunting within their limits! Yes....some do!!
                        Some large corporations allow hunting on their properties!
                        Their are STATE PARKS and COUNTY PARKS that are not listed in any directories that allow it---but YOU must approach them as they don't advertise it!

But believe me--there's ALOT of public land available--it's HARD HUNTING but well worth it when you do have success.
                        X2 very knowlegable

Comment

Working...
                        X