Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 12-19-2007, 08:09 PM   #1
DFWarcher
Banned!!!

Default LBJ poachers busted!

from TPWD monthly field notes

Quote:
Nov. 22, a Wise County game warden observed an area known for Thanksgiving Day trespassing. At about 8:45 a.m., two suspects were observed scoping a large grassy pasture with their rifles. The game warden was able to get behind the suspects and detain them. Neither suspect had a valid hunting license. The leader of the two identified himself as a well-known poacher, who has a lengthy criminal record with TPWD. The lead poacher was also found to be in possession of narcotics. He stated that he was only hog hunting and did not need a license. The game warden explained that a grunt call was not required to hog hunt. The game warden requested assistance from a Wise County colleague. While the second game warden was securing the gate, she observed a small blue extended pickup being driven by a female. The game warden believed that this was possibly the vehicle that had dropped off the trespassers. The second game warden was able to locate a container that had methamphetamine in it. When the first game warden returned to photograph the scene, he observed a vulture leaving a wooded area, which he found to be unusual because the area had been observed for several days. The warden later located a cleaning site in the wooded area and a rear half of a white-tailed deer carcass. Believing that this deer had something to do with the blood that was found in the rear of the pickup, a search warrant was requested and granted. One nine-point deer was located at the suspect’s residence. Two days later, a second nine-point deer was found in the next pasture. DNA evidence was collected from the suspects, the vehicle and the scene to determine if the suspects were involved. Bullets were removed from the carcasses to determine if they matched the guns of the suspects. Felonies are pending
DFWarcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2007, 08:43 PM   #2
Graybow
Ten Point

Chalk one up for the good guys!!
Graybow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2007, 11:04 PM   #3
quickstrike
Ten Point

Hunt In: Missiouri, Colorado, Texas

That is good to hear but makes me sad that was probably the 9 point I seen opening weekend of archery.
quickstrike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2007, 11:20 PM   #4
bulletpusher
Ten Point

I hope they cleaned these clowns out. Impound the truck, rifles, freezer... everything!!!
bulletpusher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2007, 03:09 PM   #5
Flint knapper
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young/Archer Co.

That's great. I wish that any jerk that tried this would get caught the first time!
Flint knapper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2007, 04:05 PM   #6
Target-panic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas, Kansas, Illinois, South Dakota, Quebec

Tag 'em and bag'em. WTG TPWD GW.
Target-panic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2007, 05:04 PM   #7
Buck-a-Do
Six Point

Woooooohoooooooo, I hope they get them all.
Buck-a-Do is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2007, 05:31 PM   #8
Buck-a-Do
Six Point

One quick something else, how many hunters in the LBJ area actually do their part in turning other hunters in for breaking the law? I mean if you see a stand in the woods one weekend and it is there the next, do you do anything about it or just ignore the problem? What about finding someone corning their hunting area, what do you do about that, tippy toe around it and act like you never saw it? I for one call and let the Forest Service know what I found and where I find it, as we ethical hunters already have a bad reputation on the grasslands and with idiots like these it gets even worse.

Let us all do our part and help hunting by just picking up your cell phone and giving the Rangers head quarters a quick call.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:44 PM   #9
quickstrike
Ten Point

To be honest the only time I had to get ahold of the ranger or warden was in Alabama Creek WMA some guys were baiting hog on the river and they werent wearing orange and it was opening weekend of archery and the only weekend for youth squirrel. And I havent had to do anything at LBJ cause the wardens have been doing a great job I have had a great exp. at LBJ this year. Oh yea 3 weeks ago called warden on a private land owner killing hogs and putting them on the road like someone was gonna drive by and pick them up. this was in PM WMA not sure what happen to the guy.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:20 PM   #10
Rickzilla4645
Eight Point

Buck-a-do...do they really do anything about the reports of feeders and such out there? We found pipe feeders set up all over a certain area at the beginning of bow season....Tried to get in touch with the Ranger but it was Sun...left him a message and Mr. Cagle called back a week later on a Sun morning before I got up...I called back a couple of times but he never returned my calls....after we left the feeder area we saw a group of 3 packing up to leave and stopped to chat a bit...noticed they had 4 sacks of deer corn in the back of their truck....what do you think? Rick
Rickzilla4645 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2007, 07:37 PM   #11
boss bowman
Banned!!!

I've called several permanent tree stands GPS coords into the rangers at lake whitney this year, they always remove them, even told me they busted one guy trying to put another one back up. A few years ago we called the park rangers on some guys hunting deer with shotguns out there.

Last edited by boss bowman; 12-20-2007 at 07:39 PM.
boss bowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2007, 07:58 PM   #12
boss bowman
Banned!!!

edit

Last edited by boss bowman; 12-20-2007 at 08:02 PM.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:57 AM   #13
Tuffbroadhead
Pope & Young

Great!!!!!!
Tuffbroadhead is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2007, 12:28 PM   #14
kornsqueezer
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over

Great!!!!!
kornsqueezer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2007, 08:18 AM   #15
Buck-a-Do
Six Point

Rick,
I have seen Cadle with deer stands in back of his 4 wheeler that he has taken down out of the woods. Yes he does work hard on getting rid of the hunter's equipment that exceeds the 48 hour rule and if he finds a hunter (doesn't matter if the hunter owns the stand or not) he will give them their very own personal ticket to the policemen's ball. And guy's you will not have to fear your name will be mentioned he keeps it all under wraps.

Let's all work hard and help or we may just lose the only free land we have close enough to home to enjoy.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:09 AM   #16
stickman
Pope & Young

Forensics...How sweet it is! Hope they keep those folks out of the woods. You never know what someone all hyped up on drugs will do. Congrats to Mr. GW.
stickman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2007, 12:32 PM   #17
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

I have to assume that it was on private lands and not LBJ lands. I am glad that TP&W busted them for poaching on private property. But the artical didn't say anything about public property or LBJ property. Good job regaurdless TP&W!

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/newsmedi...?req=20071219b
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2007, 07:07 AM   #18
hachiebowhunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

CSI TPWD!! Now I'd watch that show. Gotta love the job those guys do for us!
hachiebowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2007, 07:14 AM   #19
2050z
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grayson when drawn/Coryell/Scio Ohio/Unit 11 Kansas

Glad they busted them.
2050z is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2007, 11:58 AM   #20
TxSuperDad
Pope & Young

Why isnt there a show about game wardens yet like COPS>>>> I need to contact Fox....
TxSuperDad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2007, 01:22 PM   #21
Live2Hunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coalgate Oklahoma

I would love to see that show!

I have always thought we need a widows and orphans fund for the GWs. You know $1.00 of every license should go into that fund. They do a rough job and they dont have much of a safety net...
Live2Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2007, 09:35 PM   #22
CletusBodeen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: On da couch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2Hunt View Post
I would love to see that show!

I have always thought we need a widows and orphans fund for the GWs. You know $1.00 of every license should go into that fund. They do a rough job and they dont have much of a safety net...
Awesome idea, I would even donate more $.
CletusBodeen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2007, 12:45 PM   #23
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Poor guys probably just trying to feed their families. Those 9 points are a lot on nutrition.

I think it's funny how it's now a felony to poach. Give me a break. Who cares about insurance scams, people on drugs and selling drugs, and wife beaters. Lets throw the book at someone shooting a deer.

Our whole system is screwed up because it's all about $$$$$.
RiverRat1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2007, 01:01 PM   #24
Flint knapper
Pope & Young

RiverRat1, Sounds like you have a real problem!! What gives????????
Old 12-26-2007, 01:11 PM   #25
Albert_d
Four Point

Trying to feed their families...what Bull*****! Poachers are scum that deserve to lose everything when busted in the process of the crime...vehicle, rifle, knives, etc
Albert_d is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2007, 03:47 PM   #26
Hot4huntin
Pope & Young

Great job to the GWs!!

There are other way to feed your family without breaking the law. Hopefully, the harsher felony punishments will help deter poachers.

There was something that was put into place a couple of years ago for the survivors of GWs that were killed in the line of duty. I'm not sure of the details. Thanks for supporting the Texas GWs!
Hot4huntin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2007, 06:05 PM   #27
Flint knapper
Pope & Young

This day and age to say that someone is just trying to feed his family by poaching deer must have a few screws loose. There are programs all over the state either State operated, Federal or Church affiliated that will be more than willing to feed those that are less fortunate.

Apparently RiverRat1 didn't read the same article that I read. The back half of the deer was left in the woods. That doesn't sound like someone trying to feed his family!!!!!!!!
Old 12-26-2007, 11:51 PM   #28
DFWarcher
Banned!!!

Quote:
Poor guys probably just trying to feed their families. Those 9 points are a lot on nutrition.

I think it's funny how it's now a felony to poach. Give me a break. Who cares about insurance scams, people on drugs and selling drugs, and wife beaters. Lets throw the book at someone shooting a deer.

OMG, what a tool. This is 2007 not 1940 and if his family is hungry all he has to do is get on welfare or one of many other government programs out there ready and willing to help.

Last edited by DFWarcher; 12-26-2007 at 11:56 PM.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:46 AM   #29
quickstrike
Ten Point

And if I remember correctly the article also said that they found a 9 point buck in the other field from where they were. So sounds like a couple hillbillys all jacked up on meth out shooting animals. If they have enough money for meth then they should have enough money to harvest deer legally.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:03 AM   #30
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

I was joking LOL Hence the 9 points are good for nutrition... Get it?

You can not eat the horns and if they were trying to feed their families they would not have been waiting around for only the big bucks.

But at the same time I do have a problem with the "poacher" getting a felony charge. Yes a lot of them deserve it BUT do you have ANY idea how many people are just screwing around OR are young and stupid OR are honestly just over on someone eles's property by accident or get busted in some other way thats not their fault?

And no I have not been busted LOL.. I'm an ethical hunter but like I said before some of these obvious big time poachers need more jail time.

You ever notice the long rap sheet on these guys? It's too obvious it's all about making money and not securing our game. I'm afraid it's becoming more and more like police officers. Give tickets to those who will pay up. Sure they ticket hillbillies and rednecks who do not pay the fines also but then nothing is ever done about the unpaid tickets. Not until they poach so bad we end up spending even more money, like in the above example, putting them away for good. I would love to know how the above case ends up. Would not suprise me one bit if the guys get fined and then are right back out doing it again.
RiverRat1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2007, 09:51 AM   #31
Robert
Eight Point

Up here in Wise County all of us hillbillies dont by meth we just cook up a batch to sell so we can buy more ammo to poach with.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2007, 01:39 PM   #32
quickstrike
Ten Point

HAHA Sounds like a bad horror movie.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:45 PM   #33
DFWarcher
Banned!!!

Quote:
I was joking LOL Hence the 9 points are good for nutrition... Get it?

You can not eat the horns and if they were trying to feed their families they would not have been waiting around for only the big bucks.

But at the same time I do have a problem with the "poacher" getting a felony charge. Yes a lot of them deserve it BUT do you have ANY idea how many people are just screwing around OR are young and stupid OR are honestly just over on someone eles's property by accident or get busted in some other way thats not their fault?

And no I have not been busted LOL.. I'm an ethical hunter but like I said before some of these obvious big time poachers need more jail time.

You ever notice the long rap sheet on these guys? It's too obvious it's all about making money and not securing our game. I'm afraid it's becoming more and more like police officers. Give tickets to those who will pay up. Sure they ticket hillbillies and rednecks who do not pay the fines also but then nothing is ever done about the unpaid tickets. Not until they poach so bad we end up spending even more money, like in the above example, putting them away for good. I would love to know how the above case ends up. Would not suprise me one bit if the guys get fined and then are right back out doing it again.
Apologies
Old 12-29-2007, 12:12 PM   #34
TxSuperDad
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickstrike View Post
If they have enough money for meth then they should have enough money to harvest deer legally.
Wow, thats the most since you have made all season. Congrats
TxSuperDad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2007, 08:45 PM   #35
boss bowman
Banned!!!

why you alway dissing quickstrike, I must have missed something.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:45 AM   #36
Buck-a-Do
Six Point

If you guys would share a fire with some of these GW's and Forest Ranger's you would find out that there are a lot of laws being broke in the woods. We hunters think that when the weekend hunt is over, instead of taking the stand out that we will leave it up for next weekend. Well this breaks the 48 or 72 hour law. Then you saw off limbs on the tree that you are putting your stand up in, this is a huge NO-NO, you are destroying property. I have seen stands in the woods where a hunter has cut off the whole side of a tree to place his stand in, then cut down smaller trees to create a clear shooting zone. This will get you a ticket in a heart beat and cost you $$$$$$$$ in fines. Try putting out any type of food to attract a deer, heard of a man using corn meal for this, this got him a fine along with taking his stand from him and cutting the trees around him.

These law enforcement men are just doing the job they swore to when they put on the badge and took the job. They really hate giving out tickets and running through the woods to get that hunter that likes to break the law. If all this keeps up with the hunters breaking the law, units at LBJ will close and this will put more hunters on top of each other so that the Rangers can keep a better eye on us. I would hate for this to happen, I like to be able to hunt where I want to and if I am next to a hunter I can move out away from him and give him his space.

The only thing we as ethical hunters can do ( everyone on here says they are an ethical hunter) is to help stop all this by calling the Rangers when we see laws being broke and let them take care of the unethical hunters. I know I do my part along with a few more hunters I run with, we hunters are the "EYES IN THE WOODS" for the Rangers.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:03 AM   #37
Oneway
Pope & Young

Hunt In: With TexasTradGirl

Congrats on a good bust!
Oneway is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2008, 09:59 PM   #38
Wudstix
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a Tripod usually or Ground Blind.

Dip 'em in honey and chain 'em to a tree near an ant mound.
Wudstix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2008, 11:10 AM   #39
LWArchery
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Awsome get the worthless scum out of the woods
LWArchery is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2008, 01:59 PM   #40
Barn
Ten Point

Default Hang'em High

Good work good guys. I hope they throw away the key after throwing them in the pokey.
Barn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2008, 03:28 PM   #41
A&M 90
Ten Point

Do I care more about an outlaw killing a buck without the landowner consent or some dopehead possessing less than 1 gram of cocaine, heroin or meth (essentially the same level of felony as poaching)?

Call me jaded, but I care more about the poaching for a number of reasons. 1. Safety
2. Tarnishing the reputation of law-abiding sportsmen
3. Stealing from us law-abiding hunters
4. Negatively affecting deer numbers
5. It offends me personally

I, unlike RiverRat1, am perfectly comfortable with poaching being a felony.
A&M 90 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2008, 04:34 PM   #42
BUCKADO
Four Point

The only thing I like poaching is my eggs. Now dope is still up there with things that irritate me. I hate a doped up deer hunter that shoots everything that moves. Alcohol and drugs belong at home and not in the woods.
BUCKADO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2009, 04:10 PM   #43
ccbowhunter
Four Point

Hunt In: Wise, Cook, Grayson, Red River, and Fannin Counties

congrats on the bust just another step to keep the deer woods safe. and on the legal note it is good to see that game laws are on track whe just need the rest of the state to vote on harsher punishments on penal code and transpertation code violations then everything will be in harmony
ccbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2009, 05:45 PM   #44
Wudstix
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a Tripod usually or Ground Blind.
Cool

Good work for the warden's. Forsenic evidence is tough be argue with.
Wudstix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2009, 11:45 AM   #45
otis9029
Nubbin' Buck

Have they got their just reward yet???
otis9029 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2009, 12:05 PM   #46
philafal
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hamilton/Athens

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post

????? seriously???
philafal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2009, 08:23 AM   #47
timberghost
Four Point

That is good news. Credit both game wardens who took some serious risk by arresting people with meth and firearms.
timberghost is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top