Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 09-06-2019, 02:13 PM   #1
No-Tox
Six Point

Hunt In: Ellis County
Default Want you own food plot mix?

I'm sure other feed stores may offer this but I just ran into the Poetry Saddle and Tack store in Poerty, TX (just outside of Terrell) to see what wildlife food plot mix they may have in stock as I needed another 50 lb. bag but I wanted something different than what I already have.
Well, I asked the clerk what they have in stock and she pointed out the Wildlife mix in 50 lb bags but it has Rye in it that I don't want to take up space. She then pointed out the chalk board that had different seeds (Wheat, Oats, Peas, Clover, etc.) and said that is by the pound and I could make up my own mix. I figured I would get 50/50 wheat and oats, which they already had mixed up in a 50 lb bag and 10 lbs. of clover.
Just thought it was something different that you can make up your own blend as I will do that next year to get exactly what I want in a mix.
No-Tox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2019, 02:24 PM   #2
Radar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Pandora

Name:  plot31.jpg
Views: 873
Size:  112.7 KB

Name:  plot30.jpg
Views: 870
Size:  122.2 KB

That is how I do it. I use a paint mixer from a hardware store and mix it. That mix in the picture was 50 pound of peas, 5 pound sunflower and 10 pound Sunn Hemp. I use the same recipe till I get the hopper full which is 500 pounds. This was my spring mix.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2019, 09:12 PM   #3
austinmike
Ten Point

Hunt In: Driftwood tx

Good information
austinmike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2019, 11:25 PM   #4
mdnabors
Ten Point

Hunt In: Weatherford, Kansas, MS

I mix my own from multiple type seeds too. Just make sure to mix like sized seeds so they throw the same from the seeder. I’ll do larger grains together and then go back over and top sow small seeds like clover or brassicas together. Also, don’t discount Rye if it’s “Cereal Rye”, not ryegrass. Cereal Rye is very beneficial to plots, even moreso than wheat and oats. Good luck, almost time to get some seed out. Waiting on good rains in forecast
mdnabors is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2019, 12:04 AM   #5
IkemanTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Caddo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdnabors View Post
I mix my own from multiple type seeds too. Just make sure to mix like sized seeds so they throw the same from the seeder. Iíll do larger grains together and then go back over and top sow small seeds like clover or brassicas together. Also, donít discount Rye if itís ďCereal RyeĒ, not ryegrass. Cereal Rye is very beneficial to plots, even moreso than wheat and oats. Good luck, almost time to get some seed out. Waiting on good rains in forecast

I agree with mdnaborís assessment of cereal rye. It is probably the best base you can build a mix around... TONS of benefits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IkemanTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2019, 11:01 AM   #6
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:
I mix my own from multiple type seeds too. Just make sure to mix like sized seeds so they throw the same from the seeder. Iíll do larger grains together and then go back over and top sow small seeds like clover or brassicas together. Also, donít discount Rye if itís ďCereal RyeĒ, not ryegrass. Cereal Rye is very beneficial to plots, even moreso than wheat and oats. Good luck, almost time to get some seed out. Waiting on good rains in forecast
Quote:
Originally Posted by IkemanTX View Post
I agree with mdnaborís assessment of cereal rye. It is probably the best base you can build a mix around... TONS of benefits.

What rye's do yall like? Elbon Rye?
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2019, 12:36 PM   #7
IkemanTX
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
What rye's do yall like? Elbon Rye?

Elbon is what I have used the last 2 years for my fatherís food plot. It has a VERY high cold tolerance, and will keep adding growth any day with highs in the mid-upper 30ís.

Old 09-09-2019, 01:30 PM   #8
No-Tox
Six Point

Hunt In: Ellis County

Quote:
Elbon is what I have used the last 2 years for my fatherís food plot. It has a VERY high cold tolerance, and will keep adding growth any day with highs in the mid-upper 30ís.

How many lbs per acre?
No-Tox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2019, 06:50 PM   #9
IkemanTX
Ten Point

Default Want you own food plot mix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by No-Tox View Post
How many lbs per acre?

Depends on how you are putting the seed down. I have seen guys use as little as 50lbs/acre when drilling, or we have been using 80-100lbs/acre of grains (so like 80lbs rye, 20 oats or wheat, or 60/20/20) spread into the summer plot then mowed as low as we can get the deck without breaking the soil surface. We only plant like this right before a good rain, and the grain component is higher assuming a lower germination rate from not rolling/drilling.

Our mix for this year is (per acre)
60lbs Elbon Rye
20lbs Winter Wheat
20lbs Oats
5lbs Winter Peas
3lbs Purple top Turnips
3lbs Daikon radishes
1lb Crimson Clover

Edit: I know it makes for a pretty grain heavy mix, but we are attempting to build as much organic matter as possible. This plot is on sugar sand, and runs less than 0.5% OM. The Rye puts down such a heavy root load, it really jumps the OM after a few years.

Last edited by IkemanTX; 09-09-2019 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:49 PM   #10
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Quote:
Depends on how you are putting the seed down. I have seen guys use as little as 50lbs/acre when drilling, or we have been using 80-100lbs/acre of grains (so like 80lbs rye, 20 oats or wheat, or 60/20/20) spread into the summer plot then mowed as low as we can get the deck without breaking the soil surface. We only plant like this right before a good rain, and the grain component is higher assuming a lower germination rate from not rolling/drilling.

60lbs Elbon Rye
20lbs Winter Wheat
20lbs Oats
5lbs Winter Peas
3lbs Purple top Turnips
3lbs Daikon radishes
1lb Crimson Clover

Edit: I know it makes for a pretty grain heavy mix, but we are attempting to build as much organic matter as possible. This plot is on sugar sand, and runs less than 0.5% OM. The Rye puts down such a heavy root load, it really jumps the OM after a few years.

That’s gonna be an @$$ ton of turnips! I top dressed 2 lbs last year and it was too much for my liking. But I like your mix!
Low Fence is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 11:20 AM   #11
IkemanTX
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Fence View Post
Thatís gonna be an @$$ ton of turnips! I top dressed 2 lbs last year and it was too much for my liking. But I like your mix!

Turnips are a relatively small seed, and with the Throw and mow method we have been using, you expect some percentage of germination failure.
We spend a little more on seeds every year to not till the soil and lose all the OM we worked on building. Also, with the Rye, Oats, and Wheat in there at their rates, the turnips donít canopy over the top of them unless there is a thin spot. It ends up being a VERY dense plot with plants that peak at different times throughout the fall/winter. A mix like that can take a heck of a lot of grazing.

Old 09-11-2019, 08:36 AM   #12
Blackmouth
Six Point

Go by your local Soil and Water Conservation District, they may be able to get you a mix and cheaper than the feed stores. Usually in same office as NRCS.

Or PM me and I can see what I can do
Blackmouth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2019, 02:10 PM   #13
wellingtontx
Ten Point

Hunt In: Collingsworth County, Texas

From what I have read this year, cereal rye is definitely a go to cover crop. It will also grow on dang near anything and will continue to through frost and freeze.

Cheap as well. Picked up a 50lb bag for $18.00 if I recall
wellingtontx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2019, 11:23 AM   #14
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmouth View Post
Go by your local Soil and Water Conservation District, they may be able to get you a mix and cheaper than the feed stores. Usually in same office as NRCS.

Or PM me and I can see what I can do
Do they have Buck Forage Oats?
Old 09-13-2019, 04:02 PM   #15
mdnabors
Ten Point

Hunt In: Weatherford, Kansas, MS

Quote:

60lbs Elbon Rye
20lbs Winter Wheat
20lbs Oats
5lbs Winter Peas
3lbs Purple top Turnips
3lbs Daikon radishes
1lb Crimson Clover

Wow...I wrote my mix down the other night and it was EXACTLY your mix to a T! (didn't do lbs yet, but seeds spot on) I also plan to go back over the plot 3 weeks later and add more Rye as a "layered" effect to cover any thin spots and get more new growth too. And yes, no tillage for us this year either.

Last edited by mdnabors; 09-13-2019 at 04:04 PM.
mdnabors is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2019, 07:05 AM   #16
Big pig
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.

I like your seed mix. Except the turnips.
We used something similar in Leon co for years
Higher rate and mixed in the spreader by the bag
As long as they are all in the same plot I donít care if it is mixed perfectly.
Big pig is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 08:56 AM   #17
wellingtontx
Ten Point

Hunt In: Collingsworth County, Texas

The food plot experts at Whitetail Habitat Solutions and QDMA suggest that your brassica will do better if it is NOT mixed with your cereal grains.

The cereal grains will stunt the growth of the turnips, etc. They suggest planting in two totally different areas. Just a thought I wanted to throw out.
wellingtontx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2019, 11:10 AM   #18
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Wow...I wrote my mix down the other night and it was EXACTLY your mix to a T! (didn't do lbs yet, but seeds spot on) I also plan to go back over the plot 3 weeks later and add more Rye as a "layered" effect to cover any thin spots and get more new growth too. And yes, no tillage for us this year either.
Only 1 LB of Crimson? Seems very low
Old 09-18-2019, 11:26 AM   #19
Killer
Ten Point

Hunt In: God's green earth

So how are you doing the "No Till"?
Mow it close before you throw out seed? Spay? How are you getting soill contact with the seeds?

I have not had good luck with oats, elbon rye or wheat coming up without plowing first. I wanted to know how you were doing it.

Maybe you are on sandy soil? I have "black gumbo" overflow bottom land.

Last edited by Killer; 09-18-2019 at 11:28 AM.
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2019, 03:02 PM   #20
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
Mow it close before you throw out seed? Spay? How are you getting soill contact with the seeds?

I have not had good luck with oats, elbon rye or wheat coming up without plowing first. I wanted to know how you were doing it.

i spray my plots, wait 2-3 weeks. Grain drill and then shred the dead stuff down for a layer of thatch
Old 09-18-2019, 09:22 PM   #21
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Quote:

Spray
Wait 2-3 weeks
Broadcast seed
Shred over seeds... or roller packer... or whatever you got to mash it to the ground

DONE
Old 09-18-2019, 09:47 PM   #22
Blackmouth
Six Point

Quote:
Do they have Buck Forage Oats?
Iím going to assume Buck Forage Oats is just a name to try and tap into the hunting market. Main oats we use are Bob Oats
Blackmouth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2019, 08:12 AM   #23
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmouth View Post
Iím going to assume Buck Forage Oats is just a name to try and tap into the hunting market. Main oats we use are Bob Oats
Itís a forage oat that is extreme cold weather tolerant.

... that said, in side by side testing I had ZERO preference in them over Bob oats @ 1/3 price. And I donít get a burning freeze here till late January into February. Wheat and rye bridge the gap then

Just my experience. Hype and marketing
Old 09-19-2019, 02:24 PM   #24
IkemanTX
Ten Point

Quote:
Only 1 LB of Crimson? Seems very low

We arenít looking for a heavy clover content in this field. This mix will primarily feed nov-feb, and the clover will fill out some of the holes left by dying turnips and radish tops as the temps rise in the spring. The summer mix for next year is heavy on the legumes, and good native clover stands in the area are cheaper.

Quote:

Great minds think alike!

Quote:

We have been doing it by overseeding the summer plot (beans, cowpeas, buckwheat, sunn hemp, and sunflowers) and mowing every other brush hog width as close to the ground as possible. That leaves roughly 50% standing beans/peas with the fall mix slower to establish underneath.... and 50% of the plot in pure fall blend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big pig View Post
I like your seed mix. Except the turnips.

We used something similar in Leon co for years

Higher rate and mixed in the spreader by the bag

As long as they are all in the same plot I donít care if it is mixed perfectly.

I was really surprised the turnips got hit pretty hard last year right about antler drop. They were in there, along with the radishes, primarily to add OM to the sugar sand soil this plot is planted in. The deer eating them were an unexpected bonus.

Old 09-22-2019, 09:08 PM   #25
Big pig
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.

Well, if they hit it after antler drop, I probably didn’t monitor usage at that time.
They really like the mixed seed plots and the cages show how much of the other plants they are eating.
Darned tornados torn down a short distance of fence on one of my hog proof plot
We did see some great crimson clover usage last year
Big pig is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top