protein feeder question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

protein feeder question

Going to put up a protein feeder next year.

Does the feeder need to be fenced in?

We do have pigs but I don't have a pen around my corn feeder.

So many factors go into whether or not u NEED a feed pen. I’d personally always recommend one so deer can eat uninterrupted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would only fence it in if you have any livestock on the place.

Comment

If you have pigs I would STRONGLY encourage you to put a feed pen up. As stated, it will allow the deer to eat unhindered. Also, protein is entirely too expensive to let the hogs get it. Coons are bad enough.

I'm pretty sure I won't put up another feeder, free choice or timed, without a fence. I didn't have one on my corn slinger for a number of years and would have way more pig pictures than deer. Since the fence has been put up, I get a passing pig or two and that's been it. Deer traffic has increased tremendously.
        Last edited by Fargus; 09-07-2019, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Good feedback. I use to have a fence around my corn feeder and only saw a few pigs.
          Since I took it down I have lots of pigs. I'll be putting my fence back up when I put up the protein feeder. Thanks

Comment

Pigs put up pen!!

Comment

For those of you saying put up a pen, how long will it take for the deer to be comfortable with it? I put up one last weekend and zero activity in the pen yet!

Comment

Give them a couple more weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by mrpetera View Post
                  For those of you saying put up a pen, how long will it take for the deer to be comfortable with it? I put up one last weekend and zero activity in the pen yet!

I had put panels up prior to the 2017 season without leaving an opening and it completely shut down my deer activity. So much so that I ended up pulling them down.

When I set up my pen for the 2nd time back in March, I left one panel off to help them feel a bit more comfortable and it seemed to work as I had deer hitting it quickly. That being said, I have had a feeder on this spot for 4 years before setting up the panels so I am not sure if that helped as much or more than leaving the panel off.

Comment

How many panels did you use? Deer are usually more comfortable in bigger pens

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                      How many panels did you use? Deer are usually more comfortable in bigger pens

We put up 10 16 foot panels. It should be big enough from what I’ve read.

Comment

Pigs can’t get to protein feeders being they are built so low in their short legs.

But if you got cattle ? Or horses [emoji237]? They will eat every morsel in 1 sitting.

Comment

[CENTER[/CENTER]
                          We put up 10 16 foot panels. It should be big enough from what I’ve read.

That should be plenty big, give it a little more time and make sure to scatter lots of corn in pen

Comment

Deer will eat protein when they need it. You probably just missed the window for large protein consumption for now. They typically hammer protein during antler growing season, and then again after the rut. In the spring, when there is plenty of native browse, they don't eat much protein.

Once they find it, when they need it, they'll eat it. Don't stress too much about it now.

Comment

Cows destroyed a protein feeder on our place last week. I fenced my protein feeder as soon as I set it up. It helps me sleep at night.

Comment

Working...
                              X