Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 12-26-2008, 09:32 AM   #1
Mitch914
Four Point

Hunt In: the woods!
Default Equipment Left Out

I have spent the last few days walking through some public land doing some hunting/scouting. Even on public land, I'm amazed what guys leave out there and just expect it to be there when they come back out next time. Some guys just don't care and will steal it upon sight.

I saw 3 ladder stands, one electric feeder hanging in a tree by his ladder stand. One guy even left his little fold up camo seat! That thing must weigh what?.......2 pounds? Why not just carry it out? Oh...anyone needs a two wheel dolly.....I saw 2 of them too. It's amazing to me that these people aren't able to follow the same rules regs set by the Corp as everyone else.
Mitch914 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2008, 01:03 PM   #2
huntinfool
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SHNF, and anywhere you want to take me ;-)

Contact the Corps. office and let them know what you found. They may decide to go pick it up. You never know when it is from a poacher and not someone hunting leagally. They may just go put a note on it and tell them to remove it. I know I have seen a tripod stand chained to a tree in the SHNF for about 8 years now. It doesn't have a seat on it now, and the brush has grown up around it, so i guess it is up for the taking.
huntinfool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2008, 06:15 PM   #3
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinfool View Post
Contact the Corps. office and let them know what you found. They may decide to go pick it up. You never know when it is from a poacher and not someone hunting leagally. They may just go put a note on it and tell them to remove it. I know I have seen a tripod stand chained to a tree in the SHNF for about 8 years now. It doesn't have a seat on it now, and the brush has grown up around it, so i guess it is up for the taking.
Sounds like abandoned property to me.
tvc184 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2008, 08:29 PM   #4
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Mitch, wich project were yu scout-n?
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2008, 09:23 PM   #5
Mitch914
Four Point

Grapevine.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:52 AM   #6
BowTechAssassin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I get the chance to go.

I've seen some stuff out there too. I walked up on a homemade 2x4 ladder stand just off the hwy, had a 5 gallon hanging feeder on it with a motor spinner. The corps guy don't patrol out there much. I was told they only go out just before the season starts. Does'nt make much sense to me.
BowTechAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2008, 08:04 AM   #7
BillfromFtWorth
Banned!!!

If you send the corp the latitude and longitude coordinates they will remove it and leave a note to the owner where they can pick it up, don't know if they write them a ticket though. My general rule of thumb is if its been there for over a year and doesn't looked to being used, I will take it down myself.
BillfromFtWorth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2008, 08:59 AM   #8
Mitch914
Four Point

Ted...how are you doing!?

Was Santa good to you this year?
Old 12-27-2008, 11:43 AM   #9
ttujason02
Four Point

Hunt In: Denton, Fannin, Floyd & Brisco Co's

Were you East of 377? I hunt that area. That stuff is small compared to the pistol & skeet shooters. I have cut down 3 feeders this season myself since the area is very rarely checked buy the TP&D.
ttujason02 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2008, 11:46 AM   #10
Flint knapper
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young/Archer Co.

Yes, it always amazed me the number of people crying about their property that they left out on public land and expect it to be there once they return.

They seem to treat the public ground as if it was private property and that no one will mess with their stands, feeders ect while they are gone.

Yes, I believe it's not a good thing that people are stealing others property, but at the same time, it's not to smart to leave it out there in the first place.

It's kind of like leaving a $20 bill on the table at a restraut and going to the bathroom and expecting the $20 to be right there when you get back.
Flint knapper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2008, 03:27 PM   #11
Mitch914
Four Point

Yes it is east of 377. The amount of trash out there will blow you away. I know a lot of it was carried up when the floods hit but still....it's just nasty.

I wouldn't mind organizing a get together and doing a little cleaning out there......get some guys/gals together with some BIG garbage bags and do some walking. You could scout/clean! I'd even provide a smoked brisket for a late lunch if anyone is interested.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:39 AM   #12
Larry
Ten Point

It is what it is. There are so many residential areas that butt up to the Vine. I could almost guarantee that the majority of the offenders out there live close by. Jay and I watched two hunters leave the area we hunt on an ATV one evening...the same evening Jay had two different guys walk by him with centerfire rifles. They crossed under the highway and disappeared in the dark. Some don't know they are breaking rules. Most do. It's just a part of public hunting. It's still a blessing to have the Vine no matter what you have to tolerate.
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2008, 07:48 PM   #13
Mitch914
Four Point

I agree 100% Larry.

You can add a pop up blind (very nice one at that!) to the list of things left out, and he was hunting over corn.

I saw a lot of birds tonight and one ugly looking opposum.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:10 PM   #14
ttujason02
Four Point

so you walked by him too? I assumed he was in there. Knowing the amount of pigs that follow that trail, it had not been there for more than 24 hours. Did you have a note on your car?

Last edited by ttujason02; 12-28-2008 at 08:15 PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:39 PM   #15
Mitch914
Four Point

Yes, I walked by it on my way in and on my way out. It was STILL there on my way out. Unbelievable. I had the red silverado there tonight. I did have a note on my truck...did you leave it?

Who leaves a pop up blind out on public land? lol
Old 12-28-2008, 11:30 PM   #16
TBH88
Spike

Hunt In: Anywhere

last week me and a buddy found 2 dozen duck decoys hidden in the woods 25 yards from the edge of the water haha
TBH88 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2008, 12:31 AM   #17
Russ
Pope & Young

I understand these guys should be picking their stuff up but please tell me yall are not taking it!!!
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2008, 02:29 AM   #18
BowTechAssassin
Ten Point

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
I understand these guys should be picking their stuff up but please tell me yall are not taking it!!!
Not me! The only thing I've picked-up was Jay's bag, and it was returned to him.

Alot of guys do treat public land as their own, it's just cause and effect of hunting public land. It's not what I do, but I can only control me.

Mitch, I thought that was you. Welcome to the Green Screen. Santa? He said I was a bad boy and didn't stop at my house!

No really we had a goodtime watching the Grandkids open their stuff. I hope yours was as good. We need to get out there together again soon. I want to put the Whack on a piggie, hopefully finding it this time. LOL.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:56 AM   #19
Larry
Ten Point

Ohhhhh...so is this Mitch the one that Ted sends into the brush to push hogs his way?
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2008, 11:45 AM   #20
ttujason02
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Nope, just noting what I saw and what cars were there.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:16 PM   #21
bulletpusher
Ten Point

Quote:
one electric feeder hanging in a tree by his ladder stand.
This a NO Baiting hunting area. Hunt by the rules or don't hunt out there.

I'm thinking about posting the GPS cordinates of stuff like this as a Geocache. "Come on kids I think its over here. Cool, whats that?"
bulletpusher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2008, 01:00 AM   #22
BowTechAssassin
Ten Point

Actually you can bait, by hand. No feeders are allowed.

I have thought of playing hide and seek with their stuff, while not actually stealing it, just moving it a few hundred feet away from where they thought they left it. LOL. Or switching places with the feeder/stand. Hang the stand in the tree and put the feeder under the bushes.

Very funny Larry! Mitch is a good sport and an even better tracker.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:04 PM   #23
ttujason02
Four Point

there is noooo baiting allowed at Grapevine...

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...ight=grapevine
Old 12-31-2008, 11:43 AM   #24
Mitch914
Four Point

With as much equipment as I've walked by not once did I even consider taking someone else's stuff. I guess it takes a different breed of cat to do that.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:54 AM   #25
GhostSkull
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas n Oklahoma
Cool

straight from the district hunting guide-

Grapevine Lake
110 Fairway Dr. County: Denton
Grapevine, Texas 76051-2028 Acreage 2,300 acres
(817) 865-2600 Corps Permit: *Yes
(817) 865-2601 (fax)
www.CorpsLakes.us/Grapevine
www.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/grapevine/
Administration: U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
Legal Game: Dove, quail, snipe, rail, squirrel, rabbits, waterfowl, feral hogs, and deer.
Season: Open year around. Game hunting allowed as published in the Texas Outdoor Annual for Denton County. The hunting area will open September 1, 2008 and close August 31, 2009 to allow archery hunting for turkeys during the Denton County spring hunting season for gobblers and year-round archery hunting for feral hogs.
Muzzleloaders and Crossbows: No
Special Restrictions: Deer and feral hog hunting are by archery only. Shotguns using #3 or smaller shot may be used during appropriate turkey seasons. Hunting on Grapevine and Lewisville Lakes will be combined into one permit that will include both lakes. However, the hunterís safety course will be required for individuals hunting at Lewisville, but not Grapevine. Requests for hunting information for either lake should be directed to the Lewisville Lake Office at 469-645-9100. *A hunter survey must be returned to the Lewisville Lake office to obtain a permit for the following year. The hunter survey must be received by the Lewisville Lake office no later than July 2, 2009.

http://www.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/gra...on/Hunting.asp

I see nothing in the district hunting guide or the usace grapevine website that states no baiting at Grapevine. Interesting fact under special restrictions
for turkey though. If Mr Lindamood is adding restrictions then those need to be added to the info above. Otherwise no one can say a thing about a little hand corn thrown out!

Nathan
GhostSkull is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-31-2008, 12:29 PM   #26
justhrowit
Ten Point

Hunt In: Your tree stand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngyoung27 View Post

I see nothing in the district hunting guide or the usace grapevine website that states no baiting at Grapevine. Interesting fact under special restrictions
for turkey though. If Mr Lindamood is adding restrictions then those need to be added to the info above. Otherwise no one can say a thing about a little hand corn thrown out!

Nathan

Page #6 in the ACE Public Hunting Guide

... Contact the site manager of a specific lake for information on using corn to bait deer or other game animals. NOTE: Hunters are responsible for knowing whether an area is baited or not!

Grapevine offices have been contacted time and time again by members of this site, and it has been documented here that baiting is not allowed.

J
justhrowit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-31-2008, 12:53 PM   #27
GhostSkull
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas n Oklahoma

My point is that they have a website for information and that information needs to be posted on the website instead of having to call someone and possibly getting wrong info. And the info on the website needs to say exactly what it says in the hunting guide! And as far as hunter orange, its archery only!, So i guess everyone is abiding by that requirement!

Last edited by GhostSkull; 12-31-2008 at 12:57 PM.
GhostSkull is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-31-2008, 09:24 PM   #28
bulletpusher
Ten Point

All the regulations are found in the booklet given out to everyone when they get their permit from the corps office every Sept. There is no baiting of any type allowed out there.

Steve Lindamood has been transfered to Alaska, and the new contact out there is Tim Musick.

Here is an email reply to this very same question last year about baiting.

Steve Lindamood:
This is a link to a bow hunting forum where there are questions about the regulations in place. We need clarification please on the following points.

permanent feeders

hand baiting (pouring it on the ground by hand)

mineral blocks

powders containing food stuffs

liquids with flavorings

I will post your response as the definitive answer on the matter.
Thank you, Robert

--------------------------
Dear Robert,
Thank you for the link to the chat log; here are the definitive basic "Do's and Don'ts on the Elm Fork Project Hunting Lands (Grapevine & Lewisville), US Army Corps of Engineers Property (Corps), in regards to hunting. I greatly appreciate your efforts in helping to protect our precious public natural resources.

NO Rifles or Pistols.
NO Shotguns with any size larger than size 2.
NO Shotguns with slugs.
NO Crossbows.
NO Target Shooting or Target Practice of any kind. This includes, but is not limited to, Skeet Shooting.
NO Permanent blinds. You may have a blind that is non-bark penetrating left in one place for up to 24 hours as long as it has showing your name and Corps Permit Number clearly visible. You may also construct a "permanent" blind out of naturally occurring materials that originated on Corps property. No nails, ropes, zip-ties, or other man made materials may be used to assist in the construction of these natural blinds (see the Fort Worth District Public Hunting Guide for further details).
NO BAITING. NO BAITING of any kind including the following, but is not limited to, Corn (hand baiting or feeders of any kind), scent lures, "feed blocks or liquids", powders, mineral blocks, etc. There is also no trapping of any kind.
Yes to Hunters Orange. Hunters (and anyone accompanying the hunter) must wear at least 400 square inches of fluorescent hunter orange material (144 square inches on both chest and back) when hunting and are also required to wear some type of orange head wear. Hunters exempt from this requirement are: persons hunting deer/turkey/feral hog during the archery only season and persons hunting turkey, waterfowl, or migratory birds (except dove hunters during concurrent hunts for quail).
Corps Permit is Required. All persons 17 years of age and older are required to obtain a Corps Permit from either the Lewisville or Grapevine office prior to hunting either of these lakes. There are no "guest hunters", unless that person is below the age of 17 and is hunting with a permitted hunter within normal voice range, such as a son or daughter.
NO Vehicles. All vehicles including motorcycles, all terrain vehicles (ATV's), bicycles, automobiles, trucks, and any other vehicles (see CFR Title 36, Section 327.2 for vehicle definition) are prohibited off developed roadways. A developed roadway is a roadway that is paved or otherwise developed, that on which the public has full unobstructed legal access to travel (a public road). Operating any of the above beyond a gate, fence, or barrier is prohibited.
Hunter Education Required? Proof of a Hunters Education, from any state in the USA, is required to hunt Lewisville Lake regardless of the hunters age. You may hunt Grapevine Lake without a hunters education card if you meet the states education exemption requirement. The State of Texas requires all hunters born after September 2, 1971, to successfully complete a Hunters Education Training Course. If a hunter chooses to obtain a Corps permit without a Hunters Education Card and they meet the state age exemption, they will ONLY be allowed to hunt on Grapevine Lake.
Getting a permit by Mail or Fax? Currently all permits to hunt Lewisville and Grapevine must be obtained by completing the process in person at either the Lewisville or the Grapevine office. No mailed or faxed request will be considered. You must complete the permit process in person and no other person may do this for you. The process generally takes less than 5 minutes and has no fee involved.
Legal game? The only authorized game that is allowed to be taken are those game species listed in the "Legal Game" section for each lake in the Lake Information and Hunting Guide. Hunting game species not listed in the information guide is prohibited, including species such as snakes of any kind, skunks, crows,coyotes, bobcats, sparrows, grakles, etc. The main difference in huntable game between Lewisville and Grapevine Lakes is that there is hunting allowed for deer at Grapevine, but not at Lewisville.

Please call either the Lewisville office at 469-645-9100 or the Grapevine office at 817-865-2600 for any further questions or at
http://www.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/lewisville/index.htm.

Steve Lindamood
Natural Resource Ranger
469-645-9082
Elm Fork Project
Lake Lewisville, Grapevine, and Ray Roberts
Old 01-01-2009, 04:28 PM   #29
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBH88 View Post
last week me and a buddy found 2 dozen duck decoys hidden in the woods 25 yards from the edge of the water haha

And you took it? VERY uncool.
SanAngeloBowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2009, 04:56 PM   #30
BowTechAssassin
Ten Point

Question

I really wish the Army Corps of Engineers could get a standard set of rules for ALL the lakes they control. No feeding at the Vine, but you can hand feed at Whitney, and Aquilla. They should have a standard set of rules, so as not to confuse everyone. Every Corps operated lake I've been on has a different set of rules.

I understand the legal limits, as needed for a certain area. I understand the NO PERMANENT STANDS ALLOWED rule. But really how hard would it be to work together and set basic rules for ALL Corps land.

Oh, yeah, it's the Army way, right?
Old 01-03-2009, 07:48 AM   #31
woodbine
Four Point

Hunt In: Denton,Montague, Tillman(okla.)

I think I read in one of the questionaires they asked about drawings for permits. If we let them do that they would know exactly who was there.I sure would be MAD after hunting there all these years and not get drawn.Like the Artist formally known as Saltfork said "It's public land and it is what it is" There are punks in everything we do,you can't avoid them
woodbine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2009, 09:13 PM   #32
bulletpusher
Ten Point

Quote:
There are punks in everything we do,you can't avoid them
But we don't have to put up with it. Intolerance is the path to correction.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:06 PM   #33
bsharp

I call in automatic feeders to the Corps when I find em'. Why should some ******bags get to hunt under a feeder while the rest of us hunt by the rules. Decoys, stands, and other stuff that people are just too lazy to haul in and out don't bother me and I don't take anything.
  Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2009, 09:53 PM   #34
mnsherick
Eight Point

Hunt In: Comanche, TX

Any spots you can lay out for me that look good for pigs east side of 377? Still looking for a spot to stick one.

-Matt
mnsherick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top