Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trespassing Cows. How neighborly should we be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trespassing Cows. How neighborly should we be?

How many chances will you give a neighbor who can't keep his cows off your land(not a lease) before you call the Sheriff to send out some cowboys?

They are killing protein right now.

Mmm fresh steaks

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Comment

2 times, third call is to the sheriff.

Comment

In your situation, I'd call the owner and tell him he has 12 hours to remove the livestock or you are calling the sheriff. Chances are, the sheriff will come out and make the same phone call only also threaten fines. That usually works.

Comment

Need to check county regulations but it could be you're responsible for fencing them out of your property.

Comment

I called my sheriff when the livestock tore down my fences. Then I called the owner multiple times for them wandering on my property but when he didn't seem to prioritize collecting them, I called the sheriff.

Keep a record of their trespasses, too. It might come in handy when talking to the sheriff to show them how patient you've been. But, when the livestock is costing me real dollars by eating supplemental feed I put out, I have very low patience for timeliness.

And I am in a fence out county. The livestock owner is still responsible for damage his stock does.

Comment

Things happen. Tree limbs fall, wire breaks

If he ain’t doing anything to repair and is being lazy 3rd time will be enough action he will sell them or fix it. I have a zero tolerance policy for lazy people who won’t take care of their liabilities

Comment

If you don't have cows, you could accidently, leave your front gate open.

Comment

Some counties in Texas are fence in. Others are fence out. Better check which you have.

Comment

Originally posted by shark79 View Post
                    Need to check county regulations but it could be you're responsible for fencing them out of your property.

Yep

Comment

I would contact the owner first. If they don’t get them then contact the sheriffs office

Comment

I'd just go find the hole and fix it. Be done with it.

Comment

Pretty sure in Tx it’s your responsibility to fence them out .

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                            I would contact the owner first. If they don’t get them then contact the sheriffs office
                            Been trying for over a week this time.

I dont blame the cows at all. Our grass is long, ungrazed and protein feeders are full(well were full)

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                              Pretty sure in Tx it’s your responsibility to fence them out .
                              No. Only certain counties. In fence in counties, owner is responsible for damage their livestock causes.
                              Last edited by GarGuy; 11-15-2022, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X